You can't have it both ways...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UrbanGator, Nov 16, 2013.

1. UrbanGator

UrbanGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    First, I am proud of our players today, hard fought game. No moral victories for me, but we can still be proud of how we acquitted ourselves.

To the point of this post, how is it we can go on the road with all these injured starters and play the #10 team to the end, but at home, on homecoming, we lay an egg against Vandy? If the reason we lost to Vandy (and the reason Coach 00-7) needs to stay is due to the unprecedented injuries this year, why did we play so well with an even worse injury situation?

I'm not sure which is a greater indictment of this coaching staff.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Great points.
  3. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    I'll step out of bounds and agree that our players did a great job tonight-
    We might have lost but I was really proud of them for going hard on the field.
  4. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    Murphy was our QB against Vandy, and I believe he was playing hurt, and that is why he struggled so badly and that is why the team played so poorly (I believe he had 4 turnovers?)

Tonight, without Murph we played ultra conservatively and only had one turnover at the very end, and that's why the score was so close.

We probably shouldn't have played Murph against Vandy and just went ultra conservative against them as well.
  5. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    So it falls back to the coaches either way. Also our defensive was much better tonight than last week.
  6. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,522
    Murphy played hurt and he shouldn't have. That's obvious now. Also sometimes it takes adversity to spark a sputtering unit.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry because I'm sick of it asking me to download it every time I go to the site.
  7. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +970
    We handed Vandy 21 points on a platter. Or was it 24.
  8. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    Well everything falls back on the coaches. Not sure why you have to harp on that on every single post.

Turnovers hurt the defense as well. We gave up 14 points on 2 turnovers inside the 20 yard line about the first 17 minutes of the game. Then just two minutes after halftime, another turnover gave Vandy the ball inside the 5 and they go up 24-3.

Vandy only had 180 yards total. Our defense barely had a chance at all in that game; they know what our offense does... when you're down that many scores so early I imagine its hard for them to continue to play at a high level.
  9. UrbanGator

UrbanGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    Bottom line is if we had the same record, but. Played every game with passion like we did last night, there wouldn't be as much noise in the system. The offensive playcalling is unimaginative, but that is 00-7's philosophy and won't change much regardless who is calling the plays.

But why have we suffered through all the downright abysmal performances, to come out and compete like we did last night? It wasn't talent and I didn't think we were tired in the 4th quarter, so depth wasn't a big issue. Our players fought extremely hard and gave it their all, for that I am proud. But all year, while knowing this capability existed, we have only seen it on the field sporadically. To me, hanging with the #10 team on the road takes away the injury excuse, but maybe I just need to get a grip...
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +308
    Defense was better wrt points allowed, but USCe moved the ball pretty well until they got close.

Vandy had what 183 yrds, I think USCe had that in the first half.
  11. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +308
    Big Time wrt the bolded part. Flashes of greatness this year 3rd quarter of UGA, parts of UT after JD went down. 1rst Quarter drives last night.
  12. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Getting the most out of the players and continuously producing a consistent, high level product on the field has been extremely challenging for this staff the last three years.
  13. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    No offense to Tyler, but he shouldn't have been playing against Vandy. He was too injured. If we ran yesterday's gameplan against Vandy, we would've won IMO
  14. UrbanGator

UrbanGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    The why didn't we? I honestly think a great performance against SCAR was the worst thing for Coach00-7 supporters. If, with all the injuries, lack of depth, broken program, etc, we could play that way, why are we sitting here at 4-6?

BTW, the answer is coaching.
  15. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Exactly. If we were capable of this despite the injuries why couldn't we do it against vandy? This was clearly a more inspired effort all around. This team plays when it wants to. The staff cannot adequately prepare this team each week.

Even last year during our "great season" how many no show games were there, especially from the offensive side? Five?
  16. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Nothing was really that different. We scored two touchdowns early because our offensive line blocked well. We didn't play that much different despite what some of you want to believe.

But please don't put down your pitchforks for any facts or logic, carry on.
  17. g8tr96

g8tr96 Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +808
    Who is this and what does 00-7 mean?
  18. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Well, basically South Carolina did not come out prepared. They looked uninspired, undisciplined and not well coached. It was obvious what we were going to do yet they couldn't stop us in the first half. If we decided to be a little aggressive at certain times, and succeeded, we could have put them away. We didn't even try to go for the jugular. We tried to rely on our defense a little too much. In the end, it was not a very good South Carolina performance.
  19. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Didn't you know? When you don't like the coach you are supposed to make up sweet nick names so the other negative people can think you're cool and he can get all the reps.
  20. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,310
    Yes, yes, yes you are RIGHT! It's all on the coaches, you've always been right....... With that being said can we talk about something other than blaming coaches, players etc. . Conceding that the coaches are the reason for our troubles changes nothing seeing as how the powers at be have the coaches back. That's enough for me.
    Can we not have a positive thread with out someone raining on our optimism. So what if we are "dreaming" to think we will be much better next year or even better the year after. I've never heard of anything bad coming from being "too" positive. But certainly being too negative has its effects.
    Ultimately all this banter between us is really much to do about nothing... considering it's a GAME played by KIDS, some take it way too seriously with their critiques IMO.