Yoga + Weights?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by kkg8r, Nov 30, 2012.

1. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +284
    I'm good on the chaturanga. I've progressed up to one legged version and unless I'm in a super hard class after a layoff from yoga, I rarely have to put knees down after several reps.

I'm trying to go from crow (balancing on your hands in a ball position with knees on side of upper arms) into other positions:

Headstand - I think that's core and shoulder?
    Chaturanga - core and chest?
    Handstand - core and shoulder?

Problem is, if I can't do it I can't figure out what to work on in order to get the strength I need to pull it off :)

At the end of the day, just a pretty competitive yoga practitioner. If I continue to practice, these poses will come. Sometimes I want to speed up my progressions though.

Side note: sounds like your new career is going rather well. Congratulations! Is it fulfilling?
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +867
    Yes, the movements you're working towards require core and shoulder stability. Now, one of the strengths of yoga is its comprehensive attention to nuance and detail. I should think that a competent yoga instructor would be able to work with you and show you how to v-e-r-y gradually work up to the finished position through very subtle adjustments. The movements you're working towards would be considered advanced for the general population.

And thanks for asking about me. I clearly found my passion late in life. Although i must say that my notoriety is growing a lot faster than my checking account. But that's probably just lazy marketing on my part.

As an aside: whereas I personally train a little like an athlete, I don't project that on my clients. Rather, my target demographic are the many Americans who would aim for modest, sustainable improvements, to body composition, utilizing strategies that include but do not center on exercise.