Ya gotta be proud of these guys. . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 10, 2018.

1. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,194
    I too, like 33hoop and almost everyone else, was distressed following the pre-SEC doldrums this team had.

Now, however, they are playing far better, in large part due to Hayes' and Stone's emergence.

If KA can eventually successfully adapt to his revised role, that would raise this team to a different level. Add that to the return of Egbunu, and what may be increased confidence in Okauru from Coach White (13 min against Missou, 18 min last night), and by the end of this year, this team will be one that no team will want to play, unless they like to lose.

It's very rare to see both exceptional defense and great offense from the same group, like the 2006-7 Gator team had. If this team can get that defense improved about 15-25% more, they are going to be very tough to beat.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2,285
    You know, this team has been bipolar so far this year and it has been fun to watch the change (now that we are winning again of course). Lol.

Think about it, firs few games we were a team that was on a scoring rampage that played zero defebse. That was fun to watch but we knew it would not last because there were going to be nights when the shots did not fall. Also, during that stretch a 20 point lead did not feel safe and felt like a 5 point lead because we were scoring in bunches

The next few games we were a team that could not score at a super high rate as before and still played subpar defense. That is when the losing started. Our weaknesses inside started to show and every single damn analyst talked about how queit pur players were. Sheesh

These last few games we transformed ourselves into a team that is playing really good defense (working to become elite), with improved inside play along with hitting our 3s at a high rate (although not elite like we did to start the year). These last few games we do not score in bunches and have been a team that grinded ways to take the lead. Again, totally different styles imo. Plus, a 15 point lead feels like a 30 point lead now.

Personally, I prefer the latest approach as a fan. Play good defense and score at a steady rate. I think it is better on my nerves. Lol

You know it is funny because the first few games reminded me of the 2012-13 team that would shoot 3s and score at a high rate. Those leads never felt safe imo. The last few games reminds me more of the 2013-14 team that hung their hats on defense. Obviously, we are no where near either of those teams but it just reminded me of those styles of play.

Sorry for the long rant but I thought it was interesting how we have transformed over the course of the same season so far.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +15,340
    It is pretty clear the kids have figured out that playing poorly on D is a sure bet to end up sitting next to the coach and they all want more minutes on the court not on the bench
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,555
    I generally don’t talk a lot about a team or player’s “character,” but just in terms of cold numbers, the ability to stop a bad stretch from becoming a horrendous one is often the difference between a good team and a bad one.

Great teams might not struggle like we did (though our first title team lost 4 of 6 at the end of the season), but it’s not unusual for good teams to hit a skid. You can drop four of five and still have a good season - it’s much harder to do that when four of five becomes eight of ten or 10 of 13.

We’ve righted the ship enough that a tournament berth is now more likely than not. That’s no small thing.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,429
    On one hand, I'm tempted to say "Man, I wish we had that Loyola-Chicago loss back as a win." OTOH, how many years has our bad OOC loss been a KenPom #8,888 instead of #88? Comparatively, I should be thrilled that that was our one egg.

That's a really good point. Now that you mention it, I can think of a number of our opponents this year who have failed at that against us.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +907
    I would love to get on board because I want him to succeed as much as any fan. I’m just a bit hesitant until I can see a sustained level of success and better recruiting of bigs.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GATORJV

GATORJV GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +148
    I'd take 88 right now if we could! All if our loses right now are holding up from what I can see.
  8. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,518
    I started a thread/vent/ about lack of mojo at the O'Dome

I gladly now eat some crow, but ask the fans and the team...is that all you got?

Good job Gators!
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,073
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +663
    It has been a great turn around. I enjoyed CMW comments after the game.

I will say I was not overly impressed with the win against MSU. We shot poorly (IMO) and while I have not checked the box it seems rebounding continues to be a bit of an issue.

The issue with KA is tough, I hate to see him struggle so on offense.

I was not overly impressed with MSU, I think that 13-2 record is smoke and mirrors.

Mind you it was a nice win, just hope UF can keep it going against the better teams on the SEC schedule cause it looks like a number of teams are good this year.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +207
    No offense "head", but MSU has the best defense in the SEC in total points allowed. It is what their coach Ben Howland "hangs his hat on". Also we out rebounded them 38-31 in the game and they are much taller and longer than us. Other than that I totally agree with what you said..............
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,309

Definitely a testament to the character of this group as a unit. No one can argue that this team doesn't have toughness and the apparent desire to work hard. Every team goes through some growth disruptions during a course of a season and with the earlier indicators in place, it's no surprise that this team worked it's way through it.

but yes, the attributes that resulted in this recovery are commendable
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,858
    They are playing much more connected on defense. Rotations are coming quicker and from the right places. Fewer screw ups on when to switch or not on screens. Still making mistakes on occasion, but much better than earlier in the season. Mike O is starting to get it.

And Cheeze is fearless on D. I have seen him guarding bigs and not because of a screen with a switch. Cool to watch, but I worry about him picking up needless fouls doing that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1