XBox One announcements from yesterday...

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by dadx4, Jun 7, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    I have been a huge xbox guy since day one but I am now considering the PS4. We won't be able to play the 360 games at all on the Xbox One. So for you PS fans now's your chance to convince me to switch over.
  2. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,957
    I have both the 360 and ps3. Graphics better on Xbox but I have heard the new Xbox one has its flaws. Not heard anything on the 4 though. I play 360 more than I do ps3. Get both!! :grin:
  3. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    supposedly we won't be able to play the 360 games on the xboxone, we will also not be able to take the games to friends houses and use them there but once or something like that. It's just bizarre. I have never owned a ps...I have always been into graphics and game play over social stuff and fluff.
  4. gatornation240

gatornation240 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,577
    As someone who grew up playing video games on consoles and later converted to PC, I will say I'm disgusted in the direction the industry is headed. I'm hearing this thing has to be online at all times (24 hr updates/hourly update if logged in on diffrent xb1) must be plugged into the Kinect thing (surveillance system) and no trading/selling of used games (DRM). They have gone from what a console was suppose to be (simple plug & play) to a dumbed down/locked up version of a HTPC they can milk for more money and as a Overclocking PC enthusiast this infuriates me. My first point alone; imagine how many XBone are going to be returned a few days after launch when grandma/pa bought jr an xbox but he can't play the game cause it wont go online. about 70 million xbox360 were sold and less then half are on xbox live, way to cut out your audience MS. /RANT
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    The new Xbox is way too focused on entertainment for me. Trying to take over the living room and even your cable box. Which is fine but I buy a system for the games. So unless they have exclusive titles that draw me in I'll go ps4. I currently have both and use them about equally. So for me its really just down to what games I want to play.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    I'm an avid gamer for 40+ (Survival horror, sports, and some action RPG). Generally gamers are a bunch of cry baby nostalgists pretending like game evolution is bad. Kind of wired for tech inclined crowd.

New Xbox will be awesome. Extra features of entertainment are just that... extra... watch netflix on it if you want or dont. I don't need to play my old games on the new system because... I own 2 of the current generation already. Ill get rid of them about 2 years into the new system. I personally can't wait for the new gizmos this holiday season.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    I dont know who these gamers are that you are talking to but I find this to be not even remotely true. Gamers are usually early adopters and the ones lining up to get their hands on the latest game or newest tech. I have been console gaming since NES and have been excited for every new generation since and all the advancements that come with it. Games are better than ever. And if XBOX One brings the same type of energy to their games that they are all the "extra" stuff then it will be a huge success. It seems they are more focused than ever on the casual users, I just hope they dont forget the people who are interested in the actual games.
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Clearly not you since you seem to have a reasonable POV on game evolution. Most blog/ message board since Xbox One announced has been black helicopters, big brother, and meltdown mode over the Xbox doing more than just play games.
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    Ha, really? Glad I don't have the time to frequent those places anymore.
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    Just extra features? You can't see why people would be pissed that you need to be online to play offline games? Can't see why people would be worried with the shrinking ability to give games to friends or buy/sell used games? Those aren't extra features that is Microsoft trying to nickel and dime the consumer.

Here's an example. Hurricane comes in and knocks out your Internet for a week. You've got a generator so power isn't a problem and you want to play Xbox to pass the time. Well you've got 24 hours because after that the machine and games you payed for aren't useable without hooking to the net.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    I get the concern. I personally have mine hooked to the Internet always, as I bet you do too. I have to believe games are not rechecking every 24 hours... just the first 24 hours you buy it for validation. So in your scenario it would only be a problem if i bought a new game during the power outage. Also pretty sure I read Microsoft isn't "locking" any of their games from resale. I buy older titles used that get good reviews but are not in a genre i love from Gamestop.

I do understand their attempt to build a model more like Apple where the games are licensed to the user ID and not transferable. As long as they have quality games and experience I will pay for it... But if it borders on ridiculous they cold lose me.
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    I really wonder about these things, what would that do to places like Gamefly or redbox or even Blockbuster(they still exist right?)? Its one thing to try to close off the resale market or get some added money out of it but if I am reading this right it kills the rental market entirely.

The internet thing I hope wont be a concern but like city every time I turn on my PS3 or Xbox right now I get signed in to the network. And even games I dont play online like Tomb Raider connect to the servers for something or other.
  13. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    For me it will come down to gaming. Whoever has the best games (graphics, replay value) is where I will go. I have never owned a ps but I am considering it.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gatornation240

Ratings Received:
    +2,577
    My biggest question is this cloud based stuff. Yes it will enhance games and add new features (mainly game saves/DLC/Biggergames) but just imagine say 10 years from now when it's time for the new system what will happen to everything you've invested in this networked based machine? When they decide to shut down the servers (they always do) all that content is gone since it's not in your possession (unless they allow some type of backup) and you can't play any games since it can't login every 24hrs. The gripe is we feel as if we are renting the property and not in full ownership of it, that is some of the hate you are seeing citygator. I'm looking at a NES SNES and N64 and tons of games as I type this, with the route they are going this will be come a thing of the past.
  15. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    This is only an assumption but I think it is every 24 hours period not just once. The reason I say that is because they already talked about havin to find a way to let the military overseas play games since they can't always be on the net. If they only needed to be on the net once per game it wouldn't be a problem
  16. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +110
    Looks like it will need daily access to Internet...

http://pulse.me/s/muCqr

17. gatormoe1

gatormoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Im probably going to have to learn how to use a PS controller again. I don't like the xbox 1 one bit... Sucks that they sold out their true gaming following to jump into the entertainment market.
  18. gatornation240

Ratings Received:
    +2,577
    This about sums up my opinion on XBone
    [​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

On my trip to Haiti last year I hung out with one of my cousins that we had sent our old PS2 to after getting my little brother an XB360. He still plays it to this day (and the SNES I sent him years ago) made us happy someone was still appreciating it.

I'm done ranting, hows PS4 looking? haven't done any research, maybe time to go back to Sony
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    They announced today that the XBOX One will cost $499. Ouchi!! PS4 could steal a bunch of xboxer's if they come in at $399 or under. The games that come out for XBOX ONE better have sparks coming off of the disk to demand that kind of price.
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    I'm still very much enjoying this gen so I am gonna wait and see how things pan out with both new systems.