WTH??? Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Aug 18, 2013.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    My point is not that rote memorization is useless, just that it is not as helpful as many claim.

My main point though, is that curriculum needs to evolve with the times. Should we still teach Latin and Greek, which were staples of learning before? Why not? The same arguments can be made against teaching a lot of things that can be looked up when needed.

Should we teach everyone how to grow their own food like we used to? It might come in handy one day, so we should right? There's a set of knowledge everyone should have, but from there, you're just overloading kids with useless knowledge if you take it further. People need skills not stuff they can look up in Wikipedia.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    Learning Latin and Greek teaches good self discipline and study habits. Also it exposes you to some great literary works. I had two years of Latin in high school.

I agree the memorization and critical thinking need to be thought. I have a computer science degree. I saw a lit of my fellow students who could recall the information way better than I ever could (and I was a 3.5 student) however they could not problem solve to save their life. It takes critical thinking to analyze a problem or an opportunity, design a solution, build and test the solution, and implement the solution looking up things is nice but a lot of the situations I am evolved in have tight dead lines. Memorization saves me the time and effort of looking things up.
    Both disciplines are important when used together.
  3. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    I took 2 years of Latin in HS as well and 3 semesters of Greek in college, so I know their value, but I have no delusions that they should be required. The same goes for a lot of things we currently teach.
  4. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    I have a friend with a masters degree and teaches 9-12 math and he says from he has seen we should be worried for the future generations.
    He said they are just not prepared at all for the global economy or jobs for that matter.
  5. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    I have seen the same thing at the high school my kids go to. I know a lot of the teachers. The enrollment is about 3,800. From what I see we still have a lot of high achievers who just blow me away. At my age I am glad that I will not be competing with them for an entry level job after they earn their college degrees. What has me worried is the kids who are not high achievers. They are extremely lazy and are surprisingly under motivate. Also it seems that the barb for their expectations is set very low. What really scares me is the entitlement attitude they have.
  6. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    in elementary school I once had to memorize all 50 state birds. I still remember a few.
  7. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +607
    No one is saying fundamentals don't matter, but for young learners the process can be as or more important than the final answer.

Life ultimately becomes a meritocracy for us all, but if we can teach our children to enjoy the journey to getting the right answer, ultimately more than less of them will do both.

Early math is the obvious academic where this applies. The reason you show your work is so the teacher can see whether you get the principles, upon which the rest of math thru Calculus is built. So give some kids a little credit along the way to inspire their continued learning rather than just a big red X and you may have the difference between a kid who embraces learning and one who doesn't.

Ultimately the final answer matters and thats how we are all judged in life and in business, but to me its more important for kids especially young kids to understand why and grow rather than just be told you're wrong and a failure. Different strokes I guess.
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    Maybe. However, I teach 13-17 science, and my students are just as capable as I remember my peers being. Whether that means they are "prepared", I wouldn't be able to say, but they don't seem worse.