WSJ: Where have all the students gone? Declining student CFB attendance.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by TJtheGator, Sep 25, 2013.

1. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +474
    Reasons:

1. Smart phones

2. HDTVs

3. Short attention spans: today's youngsters would be considered dumb by old school standards despite their standardized test-taking abilities.

4. Apathy, "coolness factor," just don't consider the live experience as important. Like smartphones and HDTVs, they'd rather experience life through megapixels.

Truly sad.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304795804579097223907738780.html
  2. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,613
    Does it really come down to the younger generation doesn't like football as much as the older guys?
  3. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,254
    Declining student attendance will eventually equal declining alumni attendance which means declining attendance.
  4. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,613
    Cheaper seats for us!!!!
  5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +474
    Spot on. Like the article says, a whole generation is being lost. These students are less likely to buy season tickets in the future, attend games, donate money to the school, become boosters, or indoctrinate their children into Gatordom ( or whatever at other schools). It will have repercussions down the road.

UF student tickets are cheap. If you don't enjoy it at a low cost, you never will when it's higher.
  6. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    They are so spoiled by technology.
    Get your asses in the stands and support your team -
    Plus they have yet to pay premium prices for tickets to watch their team play in person.
    I'd hate to think that students just don't care anymore.
    I'm sure that the drinking laws have attributed to the lack of attendees also.
    No college student wants to get arrested for being young and stupid and drunk at a game. I'm not saying you need to get smashed to attend a game, but just the idea of being arrested with an open container would deter any of my friends and I from attending a game while we could BBQ out and drink and watch the game on TV.
  7. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    In the day, UF used to have oversized trash cans outside the stadium where we would pitch our beer bottles, jack bottles, and beer cans as we walked into the stadium.... Now we have police stalking the tialgaters standing too close to the line... It was fun... i would not want to be on that campus with the current set up as a student. The harass alumni enough...its a friggin joke.
  8. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,613
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Yes. I attended my niece's high school graduation in May and was blown away by how many kids were playing on their phones in the middle of the commencement address. Kids simply can't go 3 straight hours without their phones. Also, every game is on tv now. Georgia vs North Texas would have strictly been a ppv game ten years ago.
  10. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +325
    I suspect that in 25-30 years, today's Gator students will be complaining about the lack of spirit and fanaticism in the East stands. "Why, back in my day....." :grin:
  11. nastyreptile

nastyreptile Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +540

The only thing they'll be complaining about is missing a text, tweet, IM, etc or if they
    lose a signal or the battery gets low on their phones.

I see them walking home from IMG Academy and 2 other surrounding schools and they can't take their eyes off their smart phones while they walk across streets, parking lots or in stores. What's it going to be like for them in 10 years, will they be able to communicate with anyone face to face, let alone attend a football game.....:no:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224

Spot on!!

It should be called a 'dumb phone'........because that's what they are making people.
  13. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    It's still the economy. Cheaper at home or a local sports pub and you can actually see the plays.
  14. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +922
    Are there any actual students perusing this board that can give a little insight to what they feel the decline is attributed to? It can't just be because of TVs and drinking.. that was available when I was 21 and we still never missed a home game.

Sent from my mind using ESP
  15. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    well i wasn't quite the student that UF is taking now, but my girlfriend whom i have been with since high school just graduated from UF. from what i observed most of the students there are overwhelmed with school work. i didn't meet one student in 4 years that wasn't stressed about the workload. several times my gf had to miss the game(at least i got her ticket) because of school work. i will say, the students at UF have to work super hard. my mom went to UF and she told me it was not like that back when she went there. i still don't think its an excuse for taking a few hours on a saturday to support the team. i think its a shame when i look at the student section now. so i would attribute it to how hard academics have gotten
  16. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +922
    I was roommates with a kid in dental school. he didn't give a damn about sports in general, but always got season tickets for his friends who were diehards. He made a little extra money and dedicated butts were in seats. That all ended when Foley revamped the student ticket policy. when a student couldn't go they'd dtill have someone in that seat..now no one is there.

Sent from my mind using ESP
  17. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    yeah i used to have to borrow a friends ID, then go to a gate where i knew another friend was working to use a student ticket. they sure don't make it easy. but worth the hassel to me, i love it and always will.
  18. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170
    my niece this summer got her AA from Sante Fe and got into UF as a JR. She takes most of her classes online, works 28 hours a week to offset costs and still one of the first things she did was make color guard (flags) with the band.

She is having the time of her life. This uncle is proud!!!

I would agree that the majority of students today ( who can get into UF) are so overwhelmed in high school with getting 4.0 or better they never go to HS games and do not have the love of sports in general.
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Yeah, honestly this sounds like old people deciding why young people do what they do.

I mean ... smart phones as a reason students don't attend games? Nah.
  20. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    I think this plays a big part in it. When the student section was filled in the past, it wasn't always by students.