Wrestling survives at the Olympics

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by corpgator, Sep 8, 2013.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +740
    It will not be dropped after all. They also made changes to rules to make it easier to watch and not so arbitrary. I was seriously considering never watching the Olympics again had it been removed.

So in the future, I suggest they determine which sports stay based on history, rules, species, universal appeal, and athleticism. If it's not a sport, ie there's no clear objective winner, then it's out.

Wrestling: oldest sport. Has to stay.

Baseball/Softball: not enough countries play, MLB won't suspend season, Out

Golf: unathletic, Out.

Synchonized swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Artistic Gymnastics, Figure Skating, Diving: not sports. Winner is determined by judges using an arbitrary system and is highly prone to corruption.

Equestrian: Not humans competing but horses. Out, let them start the horse Olympics.

Any others you feel should be in or out?

Note: I placed this here since there's no longer and All-Sports forum and it would just get moved from the football forum.
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    Ping pong (table tennis--whatever) and badminton. They don't pass my Level 1 Standard of Validation: if dad or a 10 year-old can commonly dominate it at Thanksgiving, it's not an Olympic sport.

Level 2 SOV: if the name alone sounds like an event that was suggested sarcastically but somehow made it in, then it must be shown how the name is misleading. Otherwise, it's out: trampoline, race-walking.
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    any event that is judged with scoring based on 'artistic impression'

ballroom dancing---was once an event in Olympics---should never be allowed back in

I believe the 3-logo slogan of the modern Olympics should be used to determine which events be in Olympics--namely-Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is Latin for "Faster, Higher, Stronger". Not prettier, more graceful, etc

I agree equestrian should be taken out

I believe an event should only be allowed if it has objective scoring based on faster, stronger, higher, rather than subjective scoring that is so often abused by 'Russian' style judging.

I also would like to see Olympics limited to Amateur athletes. Though that not likely to happen. What would be a good solution to the amateur vs pro issue is to set up two sets of Olympic games alternating with each other with 2 year interval. Have pro Olympics every 4 years, and amateur Olympics every 4 years. And have this for both winter and summer Olympics.

Get rid of entries into the Olympics that are not countries----And have athletes from those areas as part of the country to which they belong(ie--Puerto Rico). If they want to be a country---let them become real country instead of commonwealth(or other term) of a country.

Either lose some of the swimming events....or increase the number of running events. having 50m, 100m, 200m, 500m, etc for each type of swimming stroke is overkill.

lose the walking events in track---it looks too freaking doofy

For Winter Olympics---
    -lose figure skating because of the subjective scoring. Or, do the scoring based on the original method of scoring---judges going out on the ice with various devices to determine how accurately the skaters carved figures into the ice with their skates. And then after winner is declared have all the competitors do an ice show for the fans that is not scored.
    -lose Curling---any event Felix Unger and Dr Sheldon Cooper would droolingly obsess over should go.

Add-ons to Summer Olympics---
    ---make Kayak a permanent event(saw it at the Munich Olympics in Augsburg and it was great)
    ---Triathlon
    ---a 3 week grand tour cycling event(started a week prior to the opening ceremony). This would be great for a pro Summer Olympics and amateur Olympics.
    ---baseball/softball

keep ping pong and badminton---personally like ping pong and don't care for badminton. But both are scored objectively and are some of the most extreme sports when it comes to hand eye coordination. I attribute my playing competitive table tennis to being a key factor to having over a .600 batting average in junior high and H.S. baseball. Simply put---I rarely struck out, and could pretty much place the ball ANYWHERE in the infield or most of outfield. My accuracy went done when hitting for power to put the ball real deep. The ball coming out of pitcher's hand always seemed in slow motion since ball is so large compared to the ping pong ball.
  4. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +349
    I believe you are incorrect. There was a movement for this in 2008, but it never happened, even, to my knowledge, as an experimental (non-medal) event.

Won't happen. The reason pros are allowed in the Olympics is because, effectively, they were in the Olympics, just not "paid" pros from the US. For example, basketball had our college kids playing organized national teams, in the late 80's and early 90's. The Miracle on Ice was a miracle on ice because the Soviet team was better than most NHL teams and, somehow, amatur hockey players from the US beat them. We pushed to let the world's best, ie. pros, be Olympians. It won't change now.

There are two types of entities that I see affected by your opinion here. Commonwealths, such as Puerto Rico, and unaffiliated athletes. I don't really see why you think a commonwealth or territory should be treated differently as they often do not identify with the overarching nation in any way. However, I find particularly problematic unaffiliate athletes in your opinion. What about the Sudanese runner who is so offended by their nation's genocide of their people in Darfur that they do not want to run under their nation's flag? Should their lifetime of hard work to be in the Olympics be thrown away because of their nation's genocidal policies? There are any number of reasons that an athlete will want to compete but not under their nation's flag. And those athletes, rightly, compete under the Olympic flag.

Losing figure skating is pretty much kissing viewership goodbye. It is regularly the most watched event of the Winter Olympics. And, under your no-artistic rationale, I don't see why you don't throw out the other most watched even of the Olympics in the summer, gymnastics. After all, its not like anyone needs to actually watch the Olympics for it to continue.

You do realize nobody watching those things, right?

And baseball is pretty much an abject failure because few if any professional players will play on the Olympic team since their sport is in season. I happen to enjoy softball, but I'm aware that baseball's problems bleed over to that sport as well.

So, lose curling because it isn't a sport under the stronger, higher, faster rationale, but keep ping pong? I hate to break it to you, but curling also requires a lot of hand-eye coordination and is scored objectively. So your rationale for a different result seems a little weak.
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,276
    I say bring back athletes competing in the nude, like in Ancient Greece.
  6. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +349
    We'll let you referee the heavyweight judo and boxing events. ;)
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +446
    Well that is a good way to ensure nobody ever watches shotput again.
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    Unfortunately, this means that we might have to get right of Olympic basketball.
  9. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I've always thought, if an Olympic Gold is not the ultimate prize in your sport (or in the conversation) then it should not be an Olympic sport.

So sports like Basketball, Baseball, Hockey,Tennis, Soccer would all be out.

Things like wrestling, softball, swimming, track, figure skating etc would all stay.
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,276
    As for soccer, the Olympics are not a FIFA sanctioned event. Clubs are under no obligation to release players for the Olympics. Men's Olympic soccer is an under-23 tournament (with 3 veteran exceptions), so the Olympic gold is technically the "highest" prize available for U-23 national teams (which exist for no other reason). While not really a big deal for the men's game (the best players rarely go), removing soccer would be a blow to the Women's game (where club soccer isnt big), where the Gold does rival the World Cup in prestige. You could probably make a similar claim for Basketball and the women's game, but its less big world-wide.
  11. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    I'm more in favor of the higher, faster, stronger (I first typed louder in there, those who know it will get it) objective standard, but this is a good addition. There are some sports, like volleyball and team handball (how the US doesn't dominate this is beyond me) with objective scoring and the ultimate prize is Olympic gold. Then you have things like figure skating and gymnastics without the objective scoring, but do involve higher, faster, stronger, and additionally the ultimate prize is Olympic gold. This is more an argument for why we should cut things like Basketball, Baseball, Hockey,Tennis, Soccer, but it feels righter.
  12. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    Maybe at your family gatherings, big guy! Dad gets the bows and the kids don't get a shot off at mine. Good times!
  13. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +740
    I'll watch anything at the Olympics that can be properly scored because it's real drama and not fake drama like they have to cook up at Gymnastics. No one should have to stand around and wait for a score to pop up to know if they've won.

In all the non artistic sports, everyone knows instantly whether they've won or not. It's much more exciting that way and doesn't make the judges the center of attention but the athletes.
  14. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,123
    Haven't heard anybody calling for them to get rid of boxing. That's a sport where you have to wait for the scoring unless there's a knockout.
  15. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,123
    That'd be like adding pontoons and rudders in the swimming events. Records would never be broken again.
  16. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Boxing was a premier field of competition until the fiasco of the 1988 Olympics in Seoul. The South Koreans were bitter over two close decisions from LA in 1984 that awarded gold medals to American fighters over Koreans and basically bought off judges in two weight classes to get golds of their own. This was exposed due to how completely Roy Jones Jr dominated his man in his gold medal match prompting Marv Albert to announce that if Jones wasn't awarded the decision "There is something seriously rotten in Korea." The South Korean was given the fight and the scoring system was changed. Boxing in the games has faded into obscurity. NBC did not spend one minute covering it on the flagship network in either Beijing or London. I am glad to see Wrestling survive however - Rulon Gardner over Alexsander Karelin was unforgettable.
  17. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,123
    The greatest rush I've ever gotten from the Olympics was watching the '76 boxing team. They were awesome. 5 golds (the Spinks brothers, Sugar Ray Leonard, Howard Davis, Leo Randolph), 1 silver (Charles Mooney), 1 bronze (John Tate, who was good enough for silver but drew Teofilo Stevenson in the semifinals), and a lot of noise yet to be made in the professional ranks.
  18. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,123
    NFM. You should be able to hit the back arrow without creating a double post.
  19. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    The Olympics do zero for me. I find most of the events to be fringe sports and somewhat silly. Generally just clutters up the sports section with football season fast approaching.
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +961

Never happen. Biggest prime-time draw in the winter games I believe (at least on average) for all the obvious reasons.