Wow...Arizona State vs. Wisconsin...Wisconsin gets robbed!!!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 15, 2013.

1. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813
    Is it fair to say you would never see that happen to Bama?
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,346
    Not 100% on the refs. There were numerous circumstances that led to the refs' mistake. IMO you can't ignore the other factors.
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,298
    Kid sat the ball exactly where it was to be spotted. No need to hand it to the ref in that case. This is clearly a terrible job by the refs.

They should have stopped the clock. checked with replay, and adjusted the clock.

I think the QB does exactly what he should.
  4. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,346
    I think that if he finds himself in the same situation again, he will do things differently.
  5. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    I saw the play and it looked like the qb put the ball on the ground, but the pic above shows he put his knee to the ground. In any case the refs should have stopped the clock and awarded the ball to the defense if they thought it was a fumble or stopped the clock for delay of game by the defense. The refs above would have overruled the fumble call and Wisc could have kicked the firld goal. How did the refs not stop the clock to even review if the last play was a fumble?
  6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +741
    Wisconsin got hosed, but Wiscy should have had more urgency at the end. They let ASu and the refs run the last 15 seconds off the clock. Wisconsin should have lined up with 10 seconds left and make the umpire spot the ball and/or call ASu for delay of game. But Wiscy let confusion rule.

Still, if there were any confusion on the part of the refs, call an official timeout and discuss. Certainly looked like the refs were confused, and they should have spotted the ball quicker and Wiscy was denied a chance to win.
  7. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    I don't know if I think it was a good idea to try to center the ball with that amount of time but they had enough downs to run it, place and spike it - unless something screwy happened like a fumble or mistake.

Wisconsin did not make a mistake. The quarterback did what he was supposed to do. I've heard some on here say "it looked like a fumble". Also some said, "I didn't see him take a knee".

He did take a knee (not that it matters) - he didn't fumble (I don't know how placing a ball on the ground could be a fumble anyway - it's down if he places it on the ground).

The refs blew the whistle immediately after he took a knee and placed the ball on the ground. Wisconsin lined up and watched as the AZ player jumped on the ball and wouldn't get up. What were they supposed to do? Kick the AZ player, take the ball from him? No, they assumed the refs would do what they're supposed to do. The refs didn't. They ran off the field like the chickensh*t they are, knowing that what just happened quite possibly changed the outcome of the game. This is pretty much as bad as it gets. I mean, no conference on the field, nothing? It is 100% on the refs. As much as you think Wisconsin shouldn't have taken the chance, they did and they executed and did it right - the refs didn't - didn't even feel like they should discuss putting time back on the clock. They should all be fired.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  8. GatorBait19

GatorBait19 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    You're right except that the quarterback should take all the fault he never kneeled down he just placed the ball on the ground. So the asu player that layed on the ball was doing the right thing by recovering a fumble.
  9. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,298
    Pleqse review the entire thread. There is a still photo just up the thread clearly showing his knee down.

Besides he gave himself up. By rule that makes the play dead.

So lets recap.

The QB places knee down.
    He THEN places ball down.
    Play is blown dead.
    ASU player dives on ball.
    Ref motions Wisconsin NOT to line up over ball
    Clock runs out.

What am I missing? How is this on the QB?

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  10. CAGator93

CAGator93 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +111
    Watch from :05 to :00 and tell me the QB has any clue how much time is left on the game clock
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    This isn't even plausible. The refs blew the whistle and there is absolutely no way a defensive player could have seen him kneel down but not kneel down. This was a lame attempt to stall that should have resulted in a penalty. Instead the clueless refs just stood there.
  12. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,298
    Not true. He turns to the head ref for help prior to this. Wouldn't matter anyway as the official is standing over the ball during that span.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  13. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,346
    Good analysis, Tilly, but I still feel the WI qb could have done things more clearly/precisely/intelligently to avoid the ASU player jumping on the ball.
    Actually, I think the ref was motioning WI not to snap the ball (another mistake by the refs). I don't dispute that the refs botched this situation. WI helped though, imo.
  14. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,298
    That's fair. I just put the weight on the experienced professionals here...and not the kid as much Refs have to be in control of that situation. They are paid to get this right.

I can't figure out why no clock review was done by replay.

15. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    To put zero blame on Wisconsin is nuts. In all my years I've never seen a qb do that. I was yelling fumble at the tv and for the devils to jump on it. I seriously thought they were pulling some kind of fumblerooskie play. Also, why the hell did all the badgers just stand around after? Only 1 WR had any sense of urgency. The whole OL should have been lined up over the ball ready to snap it. The QB was walking around chatting up the ref. If he takes an obvious knee, hands the ball to the spotting ref, and gets OL lined up - like every other QB on earth would have, they get the snap off. Blame goes all around for this one, except on ASU. They did nothing wrong. Whoever taught the QB to do that needs to be canned?
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +741
    Wisconsin needed to show more urgency, but the ref just stood there allowing an ASu player to be on top of the ball while the clock was running. Can't do that. Either it's a fumble, clock stops change of possession, or it's delay of game defense, clock stops on penalty. But neither was called, and ASu benefited since Wisconsin didn't have time to run another play.
  17. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,298
    This.

18. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Just complete robbery by the refs to just let ASU sit on the ball. Still, why didn't the qb give the ball to refs after taking a knee. That was a huge mistake on his part.
  19. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    I watched it live and this is exactly what I was doing. Live it didn't look like his knee touched and I would've dove on the football too. I suddenly had a Tenn/Arky '98 flashback. Also watching live I thought they were crazy for even trying this. I was pretty shocked when they lined up and the QB took off running. I put more blame on the coaches for even trying this with such little time and obvious confusion. Here's how you properly do it with no timeouts:

1st down: Spike the ball. Have your QB or coach go to the ref and tell him he's going to down the ball in the center of the field and needs the ball spotted quickly.
    2nd down: Kneel down
    3rd down: Spike the ball
    4th down: Kick the FG
  20. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    What video are people watching if you think this isn't 99% on the refs?

The ref let ASU sit on the guy and then as they were going to spike, he holds his hand out as if to tell him you can't snap the ball yet.

The QB has to operate under the assumption that the ref is going to do the right thing.

I feel terribly for Wisc for not getting the chance to win the game. It's not automatic in college that he would hit the FG, but what a display of incompetency.