Wow, advice from bodybuilding.com

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by ATL_Gator, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +818
    If they do, you'd me my first. And of course this begs another question: why ?

Need strength ? Powerlifters barely break parallel. Want bigger muscles ? Shortening the R-O-M might even be superior. Want to hurt yourself ? All the way down (with weight on your spine) might be an excellent way to do it.
  2. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    In one of the last Summer Olympics, a female weightlifter (one of the lighter classes too) from China or somewhere in Southeast Asia had a clean and jerk attempt DQ'd because her butt contacted the ground when she caught the clean.

I get it's not technically a squat, but the position they catch the clean in is the bottom of a front squat. Likewise, they catch the snatch in the same position at the bottom of an overhead squat.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,280
    Full extension is far better, but you must note that you can pull a muscle easily if you do it with heavy weights. I use a light enough weight that I can do 15 to 25 reps with. Then on my heavy days I go half to three-quarter extension on my reps. I alternate heavy and light weights every other time I work out.