Wow…Sharrif FLoyd Sues the NCAA and the SEC...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HotlantaGator, Apr 26, 2014.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    And there it is. Proponents of the status quo care more about the fans entertainment that the players' quality of life or simply doing the right thing.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    Doing the right thing does not mean basically eliminating the majority of schools out of college athletics. And please tell how these athletes quality of life is affected? There is no way around it, fans are the ones that provide the cash for sports. Companies can only offer sponsorships through the money of fans and consumers that pay for their services. TV networks can only offer these lucrative contracts because of the fans and consumers that purchase their product. Sports is entertainment, and if the fans aren't happy, then no one makes money.
  3. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    If that's what it takes for us to save college athletics, then I am all for it.
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,383
    My sense is that players are looking for cost of attendance, probably medical insurance, and for the elite few, the chance to make money on their name. I think that is probably what should happen - at least for the big five conferences as has been discussed lately. I think there should also be even more rigorous examination of academics. This is a big investment, and it is in everyone's interest if these kids actually get educations. I won't hold my breath on that, though.

I don't think players as a whole will look to get treated like employees and get paid. That opens them up to tax consequences that likely would include all of their scholarship benefits as compensation.

I recognize that even just adding cost of attendance to the mix (and not adding additional "pay") could force a reduction in other scholarship sports. It's the cost of doing business.
  5. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,060
    You don't think athletes, who spend all their time in school and practice, aren't entitled some extra funds to live an active lifestyle outside of school/sports? You also can't use the smaller program as an response because it's not everybody else's responsibility for their athletic budget.
  6. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    I'd argue that proponents of paying the players care more about the very short term comfort of a very small number of players than the ability of many many more to be able to attend college on a scholarship.

I'd also argue that this whole thing is promoted to ensure the very very very small percentage of scholarship athletes who might be able to make money at the next level are able to make money at the college one. And I'd argue that this has nothing to do with reform, or fairness or anything other than a very small number of *stars* wrongly believing they are the reason for the sport's success and are therefore entitled to more than they are currently receiving.

I'd like there to be a D-league, too, for no other reason than to see how quickly it would fail. For the most part, college football fans cheer for the jerseys and for those kids who at least pretend they want to play for the school -- they've got very little interest in watching kids play for the sole purpose of being able to play in the NFL or NBA.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,383
    As I pointed out earlier, I don't think college players are looking to get paid, or that it will happen, due primarily to tax consequences. I do think they will look to get everything they can to cover cost of attendance, so they're not having to shell out several thousand dollars a year while on their "full ride".
  8. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    Many have the chance to attend a school that they had not done the academic work to earn admission to without athletics.
    They have the chance to go to school and leave it without debt.
    The NCAA has a 20-hour rule in regards to players. They also have limits to the amount of off-season requirements that can be made of them. Should they choose to, they have the chance to pursue academic excellence and graduate from a great university with name recognition and a hell of a resume line.
    Even in this conversation, someone mentioned that Floyd sent his grants to his family to pay bills. He received extra money beyond his scholarship, but that wasn't enough. How much would be? My answer would be to many of them -- those who truly feel they are being taken advantage of by the NCAA -- is nothing short of NFL-type money would be.
    I pulled your sig quote for just that reason -- there is nothing in this about the team, or about the benefit to the school that is going them the chance to hone their skills or anything of the sort. This is about how much can I get, how much can lawyers get. SF's personal motivation might be different, but if it is, he's very rare in this discussion.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,086
    They don't have to shell out a dime. They get grants if they are eligible. They have their meals and housing paid for. They have their books paid for. They have medical care and tutors and tuition paid for. It's when they choose to do more that they spend money.

Listen, you and I might think that part of the college experience is going out to Leonardos once a week, or taking a spring brake trip to Cabo. But lots of kids can't afford to go back home one a moment's notice. Lots of kids can't afford to get cars or new bikes or have the fanciest clothes. Would we all enjoy that? Sure. But that doesn't make it a requirement of attending.

And if you don't think this is about getting paid, you're nuts. This is about everyone's "common sense" view of the situation, that there's so much money out there that these kids should be getting some of it. It's only about getting paid. Watch -- when the cost of attending stuff gets implemented, we'll hear how it isn't enough, how it's unfair that Mark Emmeret drives a Mercedes while the kids -- the ones who are doing all the work, we'll be told -- have to drive used Yugos.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +471
    Programs like gump and blue basketball are the ones who will be the winners when this is all said and done. The ones who are bought and sold by boosters and subway alumni. There will be no impediment to their cheating.
  11. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,474
    True that would take all the 4 or 5 star guys, but the talent level would drop for all of the teams and what we see on the field probably wouldn't change that much.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,060
    I would hate not seeing the premier guys myself.
  13. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,383
    I have no doubt there are players that want to get paid, but it's not going to happen any more than Sofia Vergara is going to knock on my door in the next five minutes and offer me the ride of my life.

What happens when they pay a player say $10k (which is more than they'd be worth on average after factoring other comp)... and the IRS determines their taxable income to be the $10k plus tuition, room and board and other forms of compensation. The player will owe more in taxes than he got paid. Then the university will have to pay related employment taxes. It is entirely untenable.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,329
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but the cost of education has skyrocketed during the past decade. The increases are well beyond that of inflation. Students are graduating with more loan debt that ever. With this in consideration, are scholarships not more valuable than in the past? I understand that pro-bound athletes might not care so much about that, but it's a fact that should be considered in terms of scholarship (remember, it IS supposed to be a SCHOLARship) value.
  15. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,428
    Honest question: Why? I'm not watching because I want to see the most athletically talented people around, if I was I would just watch pro sports (and I don't really).

I would much rather watch a bunch of players who are playing college football because they love it and want to be at that school.

I think an NFL D-League would be good for college football. Would the NCAA talent level drop? Almost certainly, but it would drop across the board and kind of cancel itself out, and I don't think the effect on the overall on-field product would be terribly significant.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,060
    I guess I like seeing the Harvins and other players of that caliber playing for the Gators.
  17. cpgator

cpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +122
    And why is it unfair to those fans? What entitlement do fans have? That's like saying it's unfair to cancel my favorite tv program because it gave me entertainment and something to talk about. A logical conclusion for your argument is that top players should be denied compensation for their talent and the risks they take so that Billy Joe Thumbnutts, a non-contributing fan of Wazmo State, can feel good because his team plays a major program closes every 4-5 years.

"The fans" are the worst reason to do anything here because most fans are simply money teats who are milked in the form of commercial advertisement and merchandise. If enough contributing 'fans' want their schools to compete with the big boys then they can contribute and elevate their schools to that level. That means making players employees of the schools and taking the programs out from under the purview of the NCAA (who can regulate non-revenue programs) and Title IX. To deny players fair compensation to maintain competitive parity essentially burdens the players who have a real financial and personal stake in the system to subsidize Thumbnutts who want a fan buzz but don't want to pay for it themselves.
  18. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Great post. All of your points in this thread have been pretty valid, even if some do border on being a bit radical. Good stuff.
  19. cpgator

cpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +122
    They can't afford it. However, their restricted budget is not an acceptable reason to deny athletes fair compensation for their talents and the risks they take and the revenue they generate. For-profit companies go out of business all the time because they offer a product that not enough people are willing to pay for. If schools have to drop football to a club level then so be it. At least they will be competing with peers and won't have to try and keep up with the ridiculous arms race that college sports has become.
  20. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,560
    Agree w msa on this. Due to Title IX this issue won't sit well. I've posted this 100 times: if just 1 football player gets "paid" EVERY single female athlete will get paid as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1