Wow…Sharrif FLoyd Sues the NCAA and the SEC...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HotlantaGator, Apr 26, 2014.

1. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    FLoyd is the lead plaintiff in another one of these college athlete lawsuits.

From Sharrif's twitter acct.:

"Student athletes need to be respected more. It's hard for great coaches to do their job when their athletes are just looking for something as simple as an extra meal, a movie date with a friend and comfort that they are gonna be taken care of and not taken advantage of. Athletes shouldn't be suspended for raising money, to better his life or for looking at a mentor as a father. This has nothing to do with the Gator Nation. I love my college and will always be a Gator."

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/4/25/5654162/sharrif-floyd-sues-ncaa-sec-lawsuit
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,011
    Given the ridiculous nature of the NCAA's suspension of him, I say good for him.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,700
    Yup, go get em big guy, what happened to him was bs
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    Amen to that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    hmm...............
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,074
    We support you!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Be careful with the royal we. He may have played for Florida, and may have been a great player, but I don't support him in this one little itsy bitsy bit.

And that's BS that he loves the school, loves the program and will always be Gator. He's trying to destroy the basis of college athletics so he can get a few extra bucks. He doesn't care about the damage he does to EVERY scholarship athlete as long as he gets a little extra money for himself. If these suits win -- and they will -- then the program he's talking about loving will cease to exist in the way it has. Forget that he got room and board, educational opportunities, trainers, coaches and support staff dedicated to helping him be the best football player he could be.

When all this plays out and Gainesville ends up with a football team, it will be affiliated with UF in name only -- the players won't go to classes, will get paid and cut just like the NFL. There won't be any non-revenue sports on scholarship, so all those other kids -- the ones who were dedicated to sports that weren't as popular, but still used to have value -- will be SOL. But as long as some of the football players and some of the basketball players have enough to buy pizzas, or iPods, or used cars, or new cars -- as long as those guys are getting that they want, as far as he can see, everything else is cool.

So SF may be doing what he thinks is right, either for him or for everyone -- but don't try to placate a fan base by professing love for the thing you a retrying to destroy.
    • Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. vrator56

vrator56 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    What MSA said is the absolute truth. Add to that the FCS will most likely cease to exist once these guys get their way. The pay-for-play battle will completely destroy college athletics, and it will only benefit young men that are in many circumstances already being paid.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,074
    I don't think it's unfair for players to have a little of the same "advantages" other students have who are either already financially sound from their parents or who have the extra time to work. Athletes very rarely have free time for a job in order to afford some things. I'm not suggesting they get big money but they do deserve a little more then they currently get.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +600
    msa, I understand your concern, but I think you are looking at absolute worst case scenario in your prediction and I would like to think cooler heads will make a compromise a long way from your scenario. At least I hope so.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,602
    Here we go again.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    I'm not trying to be reactionary, but there's a feeling around this that there's just money flowing form spigots everywhere, and the reality is that there is not. Almost all programs operate a deficit. I know that everyone say things like "look how much they are paying coaches" and "you can't tell me there's not money out there to give these guys something" but if you look at the actual numbers, you'll see that most programs take money from the schools, and adding to their budgets is money they don't have. Even if you were to limit it to football and basketball -- which you can't --giving them $1000 a month translates to about a million bucks a year. The money simply isn't there for most schools.

Had Title IX never existed, then this conversation could be had. But it does; it's law, has been upheld in court and won't be overturned by lawmakers (can you imagine a congressperson -- any congressperson -- voting to give male athletes advantages that aren't available to female ones? It just would not happen). You simply CAN NOT provide things to male athletes you don't provide to female ones. If you try to -- if they set up a stipend of some sort for football and basketball players -- they will be sued and the suit will win. So then that 1 million bucks becomes 2 million. They don't have it.

And that's assuming that players will be satisfied with a thousand a month. How long do you think that lasts? Human nature is to always want more -- you won't be able to tell me that a stud QB won't eventually start bitching about getting the same stipend as his backup's backup.

The tenor of this conversation has changed -- the idea that a scholarship, room and board is not ENOUGH has become the given -- and I've no doubt that the Northwestern players voted for the union, and I've no doubt that this and other lawsuits will win. But when they do, the numbers won't support their conclusions, and the way college sports have been will be altered beyond repair. And while a few will benefit, the rest will fine their sports no longer supported.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,602

Very in depth thoughts. So insightful.... Excellent post. (;
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Ok so just how long do you think the status quo will be able to continue? The model is untenable and will collapse on itself regardless of whether athletes are paid. When very few programs are profitable it has to eventually end one way.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +936
    Easy to blame the players here but that's not where the blame should be placed. This isn't the 60s or 70s college athletics. You might not like it, but college football and basketball turned into a multi billion dollar BUSINESS a long time ago. And when you have the NCAA telling players they cannot get cream cheese on their bagel when a whole industry (TV, online, video games...) is using their likeness for profit, something has to give.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,447
    While I undertand your concerns on what might happen wrt this unionization / "pay for play" discussion, you are way overboard in your characterization of a player you appear to know little to nothing about.

This is a guy who was attacked by the NCAA and suspended because some people who cared about him in his community tried to make sure he didn't have to live in the street with no food. Literally.

I don't know what the best solution is, but that chit needs to get fixed, along with addressing issues like medical insuance and cost of attendance. Sharriff is perfectly justified in going after the NCAA for their actions, and trying to stop them from occurring in the future, and that in no way makes him any less a Gator, or have any less love for the university.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    Isn't college football about the top bidder already? :p
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,011
    This is so ridiculous it's hard to even comprehend. Floyd is ALREADY a multimillionaire. You really think he's doing this for a little extra money for himself? That makes ZERO sense.

Floyd is doing this because he knows first hand that there are many poverty stricken, yet uber talented players out there, just like he was. They want to use their talent to get out of the cycle of poverty, but the NCAA rules are so archaic and bureaucratic they don't even allow families/communities hold fundraisers to send the athletes to college camps so they can try to get a scholarship.

Think about it. As talented as Floyd was, he had to break the rules to get here. You really think that's just?

And somehow you've twisted this into he doesn't love Florida and isn't a Gator? Get a grip man. This has nothing to do with UF. It has everything to do with the incompetence of the NCAA. He's just trying to correct an injustice that was done to him so it won't happen to other players.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +307
    It supposedly works that way in the state of Alabama.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813
    You don't hear about Bama players complaining about pizza money