Would you take these stats for our Offense in 2014

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BobbyGator72, Jan 25, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,039
    Oh man! You know your done when you start speaking in the third person.o_O
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,730
    It's a cool topic. No worries.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,039
    Lmao Oak, why is it every new/rare poster starts a thread then spends the next 3 pages having to explain their reasoning or point of the post along with back ground, who parents rooted for, what school they go to, blood type, and even slip in S.S. # if the new guy is woozy by then.o_O
    And if all that doesn't add up or something smells funny, in comes the proverbial. ........ Troll label. Lol

It would seem we have one hell of a welcoming party here at GC. But everybody is always so warm and cuddly how can one resist.

Don't give up F.N.G's(f*#ing new guys/girls) this is just tough love. Baptism by fire so to speak. :cool:
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,730
    ^^^ Baptism by GC fire.

This is the kind of topic I'd like to revisit when we get a good sense of what Roper wants to do with the offense, after his spring evaluation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    No worries guys, I have been coming to Gator Country a long time, years ago when working nights, I had a different screen name and posted all the time, now I mostly just enjoy seeing what everyone has to to say, although from time to time I will put in my two cents worth.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    We would CLEARLY take that, because it's more TD's from JD then we had as a team all of last year I believe. The turnovers would be a problem, but hell, as long as the team is SCORING some... I guess.
  7. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,762
    the 17 int's would be a problem

but would gladly take the rest
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,926
    Where's Adoree Jackson's stats at? :)

I agree with everyone that the interceptions would be a little high but good god don't tease me with an offense again. I could barely talk as it was last season and I wasn't even sure what I was cheering about. ;)

We need Roper to do his thing. We need Boom to allow him completely to do his thing. The excitement was missing from the swamp last year and that was sad. I'm expecting this year to be very entertaining. We have a lot of young talent that's waiting to perform. Give Roper the keys and let him drive the offense. Put the best players out there and lets win some damn games :D #ATL

Wait.....did I hash tag right?
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,926
    Nice thread. You should post more often.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +142
    I agree, but right now I would take the 2002 season stats, including the wins and losses over the 2011 & 2013 stats. I would also take the excitement that came in those offenses.

Given our high standards and Muschamp's hot seat, my answer is "whatever it takes to win the East". More than likely Florida can win the East with the 2002 stats as long as the offense rescues the offense again.
  11. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +745
    I think it's really clever. Thanks!
  12. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,464
    I would take those stats with the exception of 17 turnovers, not 17 interceptions.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ACmann

ACmann Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    Sounds exciting,sign me up.
  14. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Just curious but if it was say...10 interceptions and 7 lost fumbles...you feel that would be better?
  15. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,730
    For the whole team, 17 TOs for the year is ok. For just the QB, no.
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    Actually, their defensive schedule wasn't that bad. Looking at the top 40 defenses they played:

Opponent------------------Total Defense-----------Yards Gained

Florida State.........................3d..........................................239
    Virginia Tech........................4th........................................198
    Georgia Tech......................27th........................................254
    Wake Forest.......................32d..........................................378
    Pitt......................................34th........................................532

Average.....................20th..........................320 yards

Compare to Miss State's offense (ranked 42d nationally) against similarly ranked defensive opponents:

Opponent------------------Total Defense-----------Yards Gained

Alabama...............................5th.........................................197
    LSU.....................................15th........................................468
    USCe...................................19th........................................385
    Ole Miss..............................38th........................................296
    Okie State...........................52d..........................................333

Average......................25th................................340 yards

I think what you saw at Duke would have been similar had they been in the SEC. But we cannot presume that because Roper is now at Florida that the players would have similar numbers. The players themselves have FAR more influence on how they will perform than the OC.

And we cannot presume that a 35th ranked ACC team is worse than a 45th ranked SEC team on defense or offense. While there is perhaps a 10% dip in the offenses of ACC teams versus SEC teams, it isn't very substantial.
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    Because like the Communist International in the 1930s-1940s, if anyone deviates from the Party Line and the All Important Conventional Wisdom, they are labelled as trolls, plants, Noles-in-disguise, etc., just as those who disagreed with the Stalinist line were labelled Trotskyites, Deviationists, Bourgeouis Romantics, Fascists, etc. Such is life in the totalitarian world, where Groupthink reigns supreme...:D
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    We would need to look at the losses:

Miami: Clearly a better team
    Ole Miss: Loose cannon at QB
    LSU: Loose cannon at QB
    FSU: Probably a better team
    Michigan: Probably coaching

Also need to see that in 2002, we had to:

a) Replace the HC and both coordinators
    b) Install a completely new and different offensive system, as no one could call the FnG
    c) Replace 12 starters
    d) Play a top five Miami in the regular season. Swap Miami with our usual OOC cupcake and we are 9-4 that year.

There is so much more to a season that simply the W/L record.
  19. swoosh69

swoosh69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Maybe we should replace the names with the stats against like opponents from 2013, Miami and FSU, rather than the entire year to get past the lesser defensive competition argument. Might be interesting to see individual/team stats that way. When I look at game stats alone, we dominated Miami far more than Duke, but the W/L results were different because we lost the turnover battle 1-5 vs Duke who won 1-0. Duke didn't do very well against FSU either last year, so I'm not going to evaluate that one.
  20. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,730
    Duke's schedule was very weak regardless of whether you can find a few defenses with a pulse. It's a team game - offense, defense and special teams.

OOC, Duke played NC Central, Memphis, Troy and Navy. In the ACC, they played GA Tech, Pitt, UVA, VA Tech, NC State, Miami, Wake Forest and UNC in the regular season.

There wasn't a single top 25 team in the group. In the Massey composite computer rankings, the highest ranked team in that list was Miami at 36, then VA Tech at 38. Those were the only teams in the top 40.

Next year we'll be playing six top 25 teams including four or more top 10 teams. And probably one or two more in the top 40 depending on how Vandy and the Vols do.

We can't afford to turn the ball over against that schedule, which is the main point I was making.
    • Agree Agree x 2