Would you rather have Travon or Zimmerman live in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jul 19, 2013.

?

Who would you rather have living in your neighborhood?

1. Travon

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Zimmerman

60 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,470
    OB, rather than citing a million news articles, here's the immunity statute:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.032.html

While it was passed as part of the SYG bill, it's applicability isn't limited to SYG (that is, you have the immunity if you were using "normal" self-defense as well). If he moves to dismiss the civil suit on the basis of 776.032 immunity and can demonstrate at an immunity hearing that he acted in self-defense the case would end right there.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,812
    Bolded part is what clears it up for me.
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,470
    Glad to help. The key is "A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force[.]"

Section 776.012 is the general self defense statute, 776.013 is the castle doctrine / SYG statute.
  4. warhorsegator

warhorsegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    I probably would put my house on the market immediately if either lived in my neighborhood because it would be sign of huge decline. Both are classless and not very successful in life, so likely not good neighbors.
  5. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    I would imagine there's worse in most of our neighborhoods. Are we absolutely positive that any one of us are not capable of either action?
  6. mapagator

mapagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    I have wondered since the details of the case were made available, if Trayvon was in fear for his well-being, why didn't he call 911 on his cell instead of calling his friend?
  7. KelticGator

KelticGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +105
    Anecdotal evidence aside. Your personal experiences are hardly a general basis for evaluating neighbors.

At the base level we have a middle aged man who started a neighborhood watch in a crime ridden area and who stops to help accident victims on the highway or a 17 year old teen who, other than suspensions for tardiness, seemed to be a troublefree and bright student.

I really don't see this as being too close . . . unless of course you have previous deep rooted incidents of unpleasant behavior that you would like to blanketly apply to anyone who you feel is similar. So was this bully/manager also hispanic? That would be yet another reason to label and project your past onto Mr. Zimmerman.

I can also see someone who was frightened or attacked by any black youth to take the same prejudiced tact as you, just in the opposite direction.
  8. gator0254

gator0254 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Sorry - missed a page forward and didn't see the earlier reply

It is actually under the justifiable use of force statute - not stand your ground

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—
    (1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.
    (2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.
    (3) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1).