Would you be happy with an 8-4 season?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    Easy there cowboy! His intensity reminds me of another coach
    images-1.jpeg
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    :)
  3. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    HOWDY!!!! I say it often actually.
    And yes I do love us being in the SEC. Felt it was a much better fit than the BIG WTF (XII-2-2+1+1) Best move ever for our University and Brand.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    This is crazy sideline behavior...... and I like it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Oh yeah and we open up with USCe on a Thursday night game. Should be interesting in their house too.
  6. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    Then what the hell are we all bitching for? Smh !

Move along people nothing to see here, just a big misunderstanding. :)
  7. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    I was ready to see him go last year and I'm still ready to see him go. Anything short of a nine win *regular season* is too little too late in my opinion.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    Unfortunately, I think this analysis is spot on. Muschump is JF's guy and he's not going to give him the boot regardless. He's convinced he's got another Billy D and he's gonna ride that story until he retires.
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,528
    I hope you guys suck against the cocks;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,528
    What AD does that publicly? We have no idea if JF has had a talk with Muschamp or not. The one thing you don't do is publicly embarrass your coach; doesn't look good for future coaches.
  11. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +699
    You're right, we don't. It was the timing of the FSU press conference and the unequivocal nature of his remarks that led me to the conclusion. They were comments that did not need to be made -- a show of support that wasn't necessary, especially without knowing how that game was going to play out -- and to me, it showed that not only does JF have confidence in WM, but it showed that JF wasn't even considering making a change. FSU could have won that game by a hundred and JF was sticking by him. So with that said, I don't think there's any reason to think JF will show him less loyalty as long as the team shows "improvement."

For the record, I think they will. I can see 7-5 or 8-4. Either of those would make this the worst 4-year stretch in two decades. But it would be improvement, and I think that's all JF needs.
  12. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    To be honest I don't think Muschamp can survive anything less than a great season from the fans. At some point, the pressure will boil. We aren't known as "patient", and it may boil over if we don't look very good next year. Even if Foley thinks he can be a great coach, at some point that has to create an atmosphere of forced change. If the entire fan base is not happy, you can't keep it going with him even if you want to keep him. Foley is loved by Gator nation, but continued support of Muschamp if he doesn't succeed next year could hurt that somewhat.

I personally doubt I'll ever be on the fire Foley bandwagon, but if Muschamp doesn't improve something has to be done.
  13. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    We need to get off to a good start, look impressive on offense and be a factor in the East. This will all point to improvement and the wins will follow. If Muschamp is sincere about changing his philosophy on offense and and opening things up, he has a chance to ultimately succeed. We know that his defense will always be nasty, its the points scored issue that has to change immediately.

I think the Roper hire was critical. We all saw what Cutcliffe's return mean to the Vols in 2007. He rehabbed Ainge and helped turn a 5-7 team into a SEC CG participant. I think Roper can have the same impact here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,528
    A show of support wasn't needed in your eyes. Since our program was being talked about left and right, since our coach was being talked about left and right, maybe JF felt he needed to quiet some of those questions about Muschamp and our program. As far as the line it'll take,for him to keep or lose his job I guess is anyone's guess but I personally think he needs to win a minimum of 8 games. However, I won't be happy with 8.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,015
    I'll wait and see what Roper does with what we have... I think we can be very good with the guys we have, especially with the the right coaching on the mind set aspects of playing the position.

But I do get the feeling this position has been mismanaged throughout the first three years of Muschamp's tenure.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,015
    Agree with the general theme here - we need to be functional on offense and get the ball in the end zone. From a fan perspective, we really need more to get excited about on offense, especially if this becomes a four loss season, as many predict.

Where I disagree, and not to pick on you specifically Tommy, but I think there's been a wide spread narrative on Muschamp keeping us from opening up the offense that is very inaccurate. He did keep it very conservative in 2012, which was Driskel's first year at QB, and he did it because he had to in order to win against that schedule. And we clearly over performed against that schedule. Hs strategy made perfect sense given our inecperienced QB, and strength on defense and ST.

Heading into the Sugar Bowl, they worked on the pass game, and tried to open it up against Louisville. I have no doubt he knew we had to do that to be effective in the long run. And it is consistent with what he has always said he wanted on offense - in addition to running the ball, he wanted to be multiple and stretch the field.

But opening up the pass game did us in (from the first play) along with Bridgewater playing a super human game. We just did not have the OL or QB play to successfully do it. Same thing in 2013... if we didn't lose Green, Dunker and Halapio heading into the season, maybe we would have had the OL play we needed, and helped JD some more. But every time that we've tried to open up the pass game with JD, he has been a TO machine. Since the Louisville game, he's had more TOs than TDs.

No team wins when their QB turns the ball over more than he gets it in the end zone. The real issues for our offense haven't been strategy - they have been talent, health, coaching and execution at OL and QB. No matter what offensive system we could have run the past few years, we'd have stunk for those same reasons.

I just hope the talent and experience are such this year that Roper and Summers have enough to work with.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I was pretty stunned by those comments as well. They were even more disheartening than all the injuries, losing to our rivals, losing to GSU, etc. At least the silver lining of a down cycle is the promise of a new regime taking over and changing course. Well now we know that's not happening.

Those comments told me that we as a program are now going to accept mediocrity, or at least we are going to be extremely patient with it. We were basically admitting hours before the game we knew we were going to get thrashed at home to our rival FSU and we were perfectly fine with that. No pressure guys. The game felt like a scrimmage after those comments. Not to mention we were coming off the worst loss in program history. Please don't force-feed me this 1000% support crap at that time. You're just pissing off the fan base (who wants to see some kind of accountability) to save yourself the constant media pressure that normally comes with a coach on the hot seat. It was completely unnecessary.

To me that completely changed the bar for Florida football and now I'm with you - what would really cause a change if 4-8 doesn't?
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Yeah but since when has Foley answered to the fans? Or at least been an advocate for them? During the whole Urban Meyer-OSU fiasco I would have expected Foley, as the leader of our program, to make some kind of legitimate comments explaining how the heck that all went down, just to offer some kind of reasonable explanation to the Gator nation who collectively were pretty much saying, "wtf?". Nope. Nothing. Just left us hanging out to dry. No big deal, we just lost one of the top 5 coaches in the country to a national rival. Nothing to see here.

Then after losing to Georgia Southern to cement a losing season for the first time in forever, how about calling for just a little bit of accountability? Nope. 1000% confidence.

Sure maybe he's being PC and saying different things behind closed doors, but eventually as the leader of the athletic program I think you have to show some candor and transparency to your fan base, even if it means being a little stern publicly. Otherwise its just taking the easy way out.

I really don't think Foley is motivated at all by the pulse of the fan base. He's motivated by the bottom line and by whatever mission it is that Machen is on.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    I am afraid I agree with you.
    Last year during the GA game when our players were fighting in the middle of the field at the end of the game when when the game was already decided they flash over the Muachamp and he is in a full blown rage screaming at some reff. I beleive he should have been better off yanking some players off the field and benching them./
  20. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    To be fair oak, that was only 2 games. But technically your right, 3 Int to 2 tds. Though I would add I believe those were do to his appendectomy and the time he missed working with his wr's.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.