Would you be happy with an 8-4 season?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,230
    I have been an outspoken supporter of WM...but 9-3 is my self set limit for retaining him if I were JF.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    Muschamp has had the defense for 4 years. Four years ago we went thru the season with one loss. we did that with defense and a not so great offense.
    This is the season the Muschamp apologists hang their hats on. If he was good enough to do it then no reason he can't do it next year.
  3. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    It depends on how the team looks and the circumstances of the Ws and Ls.

If the losses show that UF isn't competitive with SEC upper echelon, the offense continues to struggle or it does not appear that younger players are being developed and improving, then 8-4 not good enough.

If the losses are close losses to top 10 teams, or if it looks like what is lacking is upper class talent on OL and DL ( not CWM's fault b/c he didn't recruit them) then to me 8-4 would be good enough to keep him.

Even ignoring the injuries, the main problem positions have been at OL and QB, where Muschamp has been working primarily with former staff's recruits.

I throw 2013 out altogether due to the injuries, so to me the jury is still out on CWM. One kind of 8-4 season could be enough to justify letting him go, but another kind wouldn't be enough to justify the firing.

You need to understand that my general view is that it take EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES to fire a coach before year five, when they have their first chance to actually take the field with a team made up of their players.

A coaching transition by itself hurts a program, it sets it back, so just thinking about the firing without considering which new coach would be available and an upgrade is to me an incomplete thought process.
  4. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    And if we get 9, there's probably a good chance at least 2 are against Mizzou, UGA, and USCe, which likely means Atlanta.
  5. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,937
    And it seems your memory is off a little. 4 years ago, Tebow's last season, our offense ranked 6th overall. This coming season will be Muschamp's 4th season so he'll need to prove himself. I'm also not sure I get your apologists comment. So because we choose not to run around bringing the man down in every thread we are apologists? I think most are rational and understanding of the situation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +537
    Muschamp coached teams are 7-11 away from the Swamp and 15-5 in the Swamp. Against SEC teams, Muschamp is 8-2 at home but 5-9 away from UF, and not counting 2012 - where he had a big win at TAMU who ended the season 11-2, his best wins are over 2012 UT, UK twice, and Vandy.

Given all that, I think that the only way UF is going to make noise next year is if they protect home field, because history says they are going to get beat on the road.

Now, in limited defense of Muschamp, those nine SEC away losses:

13-1 LSU
    11-2 USCe
    10-4 UGA
    8-5 AU

12-2 UGA

12-2 Missouri
    11-2 USCe
    10-3 LSU
    8-5 UGA

So his opponents in those games had a record of 95-26 (.785). Yeah, I know, you'd like to see UF have won a few of those games, because some of them were very close, but his opponents on the road in the SEC have been typically damn strong.

Maybe Muschamp just has bad luck.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,937
    I'm with you in support of Muschamp, and I believe his inexperience added to last season, but the injuries don't explain losing to GA Southern and Vandy. I don't give him a pass for injuries but I do accept his inexperience as a reason. However, that card has played and now it's time to produce.
  8. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261
    Nothing wrong with the defense, either; it still ranked #2 in the SEC last year... and that's despite the fact that the offense kept them on the field far longer than they should have been and far longer than other teams in our conference.

Additionally, the 2012 schedule wasn't as tough as this year's; we didn't have to face Bama or a defending NC FSU team with a returning Heisman Trophy winner.

I don't know what a Muschamp apologist is; but I'm guessing it's someone who's watched and followed college football closely for longer than a decade.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    Would the worst record in 30+ years, losing to an FCS team for the first time in most of our lifetimes, losing to Vandy at home qualify? Seems like extraordinary circumstances.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    sorry meant two years ago we went thru the season with one loss.

When i say apologist, i mean those who point at those years to say why Muschamp has done a good job and then say last year was just due to injuries.

I admit I am not a big fan of Muschamps. I don't like the way he carries himself on the field with his out of control temper,.

That said the record is what he should be evaluated on. SO far that hasn't been so good.
    He will have all of next year to improve on it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,043
    I'm probably alone in this but I, believe it or not, think( probably hedging closer to hope) we go 10-2.

Our defense will be as good as any in our conference and our offense will have a bit of an element of surprise. This offense will identify some playmakers on our team, currently teams don't really have a clue what we got because of the under utilization of our talents, therefore game planning and keying on particular guys won't be as easy at first.

I'm also of the belief that we will have a big freshman contributer (s) namely, Treon harris. I just feel he will add a attack that will be hard for teams to plan for because he can sling the ball as good as he can run it. Yes he will be a freshman but they will most definitely have a package of plays for harris, that I feel he will take advantage of while establishing himself as a fan favorite by seasons end. Russell wilson 2.0 , there's a reason he was the very first kid roper went after. And it's not because he's a bum.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  12. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +236
    Win the East and beat UGA, FSU and who ever we face in our bowl game. A plus would be beating our opponent out of the West in the SECCG, the others are requirements in my opinion. We also need to look like a team that has rhythm. Another 2012 type season and I would still be unhappy even given the record. It's not so much the record, it's how the team looks.
  13. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +157
    I agree we have the talent in place to do this.
    This is the biggest reason i don't think Muschamp gets away with 8-4 and keeps his job.
    Or at least should keep his job.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,937
    You're not alone. That was my prediction believing we finally have the right OC for the job.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    Yes..you supporting Muschamp means you know more about football then us. Please enlighten us oh wise one!
  16. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +537
    I disagree about the schedule thing:

The 2012 schedule - VERY HARD

vs. BGU (finished 8-5)
    @ TAMU (finished 11-2)
    vs. LSU (finished (10-3)
    vs. USCe (finished 11-2)
    @ Vanderbilt (finished 9-4)
    vs UGA (finished 12-2)
    vs ULL (finished 9-4)
    @ FSU (finished 12-2)

Our non-FSU OOC foes in 2014 are much weaker than 2012, and FSU will be about as good, maybe a little better than 2012, so a wash there. In the SEC, the road games are about equivalent, going @ Vandy, @ Alabama, and @ UT, so we traded @TAMU for @BAMA which is maybe slightly harder (still not sure how good 2014 Alabama is going to be compared to 2012 TAMU) but Vandy is going to be a lot worse and UT, even though their record may be better than that 2012 squad, probably isn't going to be as dangerous, offensively. USCe and LSU have what looks like slightly weaker squads than the 2012 team (although with LSU you never really know for sure, but certainly they'll be good) and UGA is probably a bit down from that 2012 squad that almost won a title.

The 2014 schedule isn't easy, for sure, but I can almost guarantee we won't be playing 4 11-win teams next year. Well, let me rephrase: I guarantee that if Florida has to play 4 teams or more that win 11 games, and 7 teams or more that win 9, that Muschamp won't have a job at the end of the season, just because UF will probably be overwhelmed by the strength of their opponents.
  17. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,441
    Anything that you can hold up to a mirror and it look like 2013's record...is uncceptable.
  18. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,441
    Bottom line right there. I still do not believe that UF should be a training school for football coaches but what's done is done and can't be undone so I'm pulling for champ so the program has what it hasnt had since the 2009 season: Stability! With stability the wins will come..if not, a new coach will.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,937
    I understand your point but calling the opposite side "Apologists" isn't fair either.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,937
    Nobody is going to reload like Nick Saban. You have a better chance of trying to keep up with LSU from the west. That is until Strong starts doing well at Texas; if he does well. He's going to battle you for that talent.
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.