Would you be happy with an 8-4 season?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,977
    No, just a scenario where the other SECE teams' records are worse.
  2. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    Great way to put it into perspective. Hopefully we have a great year and Muschamp proves to be our guy. If they play fast, competitive, and prove to be entertaining, we should have a great time cheering for our team this year. Either way, a Saturday with great weather in beautiful North Central Florida has plenty of things to offer if we stink up the field this year. Go Gators!
  3. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    If Muschamp is 8-4, with a win over UGA, I think I'd be OK.

FSU on the road is going to be near impossible, we would probably be calling that a loss even with a good Florida team.
    Alabama on the road is similar.

LSU, Missouri, South Carolina, are all at home, UGA is in Jax, Muschamp must win the UGA game and ONE OF THE OTHERS AT MINIMUM to save his job,

If Muschamp is 8-4, 5-3, with a win against Georgia, and then a win in the bowl game, with RESPECTABLE losses and decent recruiting, I think I'd be OK with keeping him for a while longer. But we'd have to offer a contract extension to make the recruits feel more confident in the program.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,323
    8-4 with losing to uga again and sow is not enough. When you average WM 4 years at uf what you have is mediocrity. I know of no gator fan who wants that. If those are close loses then there is imo no question that JF retains WM. He will cite improvement. But when you look at who we have lost to, it would be clear that we are far behind our main competitors and that is not good. This is his 4th year with his players, if we were vandy then his record would be acceptable, but we are not vandy. If he can't break through this year then imo WM is a 8 win kind of coach. Unacceptable.
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Not that I'm hoping for this but I suppose, losing to bama, lsu, fsu and maybe like tenn, but beat UGa, USCe, and mizzou. That I would imagine would emulate what he meant by 8 wins and a trip to atlanta. The sec is a cannibal conference so I suppose it's possible. Look at last year. We beat tenn, tenn beat USCe, USCe loss to UGA but beat mizzou who destroyed UGA. It's pretty crazy. But it could happen.

"IF" that scenario happened, going 8-4, I suppose a trip to atlanta would ease the pain of what I believe will/should be a 9-3 year or better.

I'm almost to the point where I would be happy if all we did was beat UGA and FSU, oh and USCe b/c I can't let my wife rub her love of the cocks. :) in if they beat us. Besides any rubbing in of winning cocks should be coming from the husband to the wife not the otherway around, at least anatomically speaking that is. :)
  6. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    Rarely happens but USCe went 5-3 in conference play in 2010 and won the east.
  7. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +523
    True, but with seven teams in each division, it's less likely that no team will have less than three losses.
  8. seabudgator

seabudgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Just my opinion, but no.
    I get sick reading "FSU at home is impossible". Same for Alabama. When did we become a team that can't compete with anybody? My bogey for the Gators is always the same: 10-2. Better than that is awesome, worse than that generally indicates problems. With the talent we have in state and a coach in his 4th year, I think that target is rationale. Spurrier never went 8-4 and Meyer only did it once (last year when he was in the woods).
    The only time I think 8-4 might make me "happy", is in a coaches first year or if we had unbelievable injuries (i.e., last year an 8-4 record may have represented a good job). Not this year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Agree, but spurrier did go 8-4 in his third season('92) Otherwise he was outstanding. What I didn't really realize was how mediocre we were in bowl games under spurrier. We were only 6-5 in bowl games. I just seen that and had to SMH. I would have thought he would be great in big games with a month of preparation.
  10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,128

FIRST and FOREMOST, above beating Bama in Tuscaloosa, above beating our arch-rivals, above winning the East, our #1 priority to the 2014 season has to start in The Swamp. There's absolutely no other argument or way to look at it.

We were not only beaten, but we were absolutely, utterly EMBARRASSED on our home field last season THREE TIMES in a Homecomiong loss to Vanderbilt, followed by the most humiliating loss in program history to Georgia Southern, and then to a rapist-led fsu team. We lost our home field last year, and not only that, the mystique of The Swamp was lost too. We gotta take that back. I don't give a damn who it is we're playing, a home loss next season is inexcusable to me... 'nuff said.

Win our home games, above all else... period. Then we can look at other goals. 8 - 4 at season's end would look a whole lot better if we won our home games, even if we didn't win the East. Those wins would include wins over Kentucky, LSU, Mizzou, and South Carolina and that would be a good jumping board for the 2015 season IMO.

We won't win every road game but I think we''ll get our fair share (I have a feeling we finally beat UGA and will get revenge at Vandy... UT and fsu are winnable, and no, we aint beating Bama), so 8 - 4 regular season with no losses at home would be a great way to head into the 2014 bowl season.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  11. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    I've posted in a few other places over the off season, that although the teams on the schedule are tough, the schedule actually sets up somewhat favorably.

The road games:
    @ Alabama - tough
    @ Tennessee - not too bad
    @ Vanderbilt - not too bad
    @ FSU - tough
    vs. Georgia in Jacksonville

Only 4 true road games, and UF should honestly be at worst 2-2 in those games. Last year, UF was @ LSU, @ Mizzou, @ USCe, and @ UK, and played in Jax and only had 3 SEC home games. This year, they only have 3 SEC road games. There is a reason UF usually wins the title in even years. The schedule is more favorable with more games at home.

So, UF has 3 legit tough games at home (USCe, Mizzou, LSU). If UF can just go 6-1 at home, 2-2 on the road, and win in Jax, they have an awesome shot to win the division. That's about as favorable a schedule as UF is going to get, honestly.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    As I mentioned, the 9-win baseline is largely ornamental.

That said, if we go 8-4 and then get a bowl and go 9-4, that's not fundamentally different than Spurrier going 9-4 except you can say we lost to the SEC champ (which at 8-4 this season we probably will anyway).

So, it's basically the same.

You could argue that a 8-win regular season is the new 9-win regular season baseline if you wanted to take that approach, but not final record.
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,039
    I would not... NO!
  14. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Not sure, but sometime in the last four years I guess.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I was going to post this, but luckily I read the whole thread first. I agree completely. I'm not sure why people think playing at home is some sort of huge advantage anymore. Is anyone afraid of playing in the Swamp following our blow out losses to Vanderbilt and Georgia Southern last year? I'm not so sure that other SEC teams perceive the Swamp in the same way they used to and I don't blame them. Our motto doesn't have much meaning at the moment, but hopefully we can change that with another 2012 home field performance (specifically the w/l ratio).
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    This is what Gator football is right now sadly. Second class. We are not in the same league as those teams. The question is: Is our program going to demand better or be OK with with that?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    I wouldn't be happy, but considering the schedule I'd be satisfied... 1 of the 8 wins has to be UGA.

We have a 1st year OC installing a brand new offense; expecting that to be perfect and our players to have it down pat in 1 year is unreasonable.

Meyer was 1 game away from going 8-4 in his 1st year when installing an all-new offense; and Bama, FSU, and Carolina weren't anywhere near as good in 2005 as they are today.

In fact, I remember Meyer saying that installing the new offense was so difficult that he and Mullen could only teach and install about 60% of it that 1st year.
  18. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    So far it's been 1 loss for the east winner since the addition of two teams.
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,158
    I find it hard to comprehend how one bad season makes us second class to you. I get that the offense has been bad, I also get that Muschamp has A LOT to prove, but last year was one season.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,319
    Nope. It would blow. It's year four, it's his program now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.