Would we benefit from going back to the spread option?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFFL, Oct 22, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,874
    You are in full panic mode thank god the staff isnt. I have to assume all the coaches have tried their job are on the line. Moving from the spread to what we do was a huge deal for WR's running routes and OL blocking. They got a start with Charlie and they are continuing to grow under Pease. What has D Lewis done wrong? He cant help that the TE's the upperclass TE's lack talent. At least they have blocked well.
  2. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    This offensive coaching staff wouldn't know how to run a spread offense--the #s would be even worse, especially with the terrible oline
  3. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    But that's why I'm a fan and not on the staff, and I totally admit that. I understand that you see progress under Pease, but I don't. You can look at the numbers. I understand starting Murphy instead of Driskel is going to cause some issues with statistics, though. Our TE's missed a decent amount of blocks, namely against LSU. I was screaming at Clay Burton to block the guy right in front of him instead of turning around to stare at the runner. Which was totally weird. The WR play didn't improve until Joker got here, as far as I can tell. He's done a good job. Also D Lewis should be wrapping our TE's feet in bubble wrap because they suffer foot injuries like no other position group
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,874
    Well we didnt even have a WR coach last year. Colin had foot problems before he came to UF maybe they should have not recruited him. He was playing well with the limited time he had before he got injured again. I can see a valid argument for getting rid of Pease and maybe Davis but changing offensive philosophy mid season or after it doesnt seem like the smartest thing to me when you have recruited and coach to what we have now.
  5. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Yeah I know about Colin's foot issues before UF, I was just making a stupid joke. And I agree, it would be really tasking to change the offensive philosophy at the end of the season after spending 3 years teaching and working pro style. I just meant the question hypothetically. I really wonder where our offense would be right now if we had stayed with the spread option, or what we would look like in the next few years if we went back to the spread option.

I'm not sure we should fire Pease after this year, but I think Tim Davis is definitely on the hot seat. I think both of their jobs could be on the line, depending on how the rest of the season plays out. I don't think Muschamp's job should be on the line until the end of the 2014, and that would be after something extreme (like regression to 8-5, or not being competitive in the East). I think 2015 is the year Muschamp needs an East title, or he may be on the hotseat. Just my opinion though
  6. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,792

So . . . . we're predictable, you're saying ?
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Well that goes without saying, but frankly I don't think we can do much to opposing defenses simply by "changing things up," as it were.

Our line simply cannot block well enough for us to rely on running, passing and playaction.
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655

Not that it really takes away from your point too much as Meyer's defenses were great, but his offenses were equally excellent. Using more sophisticated analytics, the rankings look like this:

Year--------Total Offense---------Total Defense

2005..................23rd..........................19th
    2006...................7th..........................3rd
    2007...................1st..........................38th
    2008...................1st..........................3rd
    2009...................9th..........................1st
    2010..................50th..........................28th

Average.............15th..........................15th[/QUOTE]

Obviously defense is important, but offense is too.
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,453
    Obviously defense is important, but offense is too.[/QUOTE]

Football Outsiders is hardly more sophisticated, but our defense was the foundation.
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    You think that yards/game is as sophisticated as S&P ratings?
  11. UFish

UFish Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    Midseason? No. Long term? Maybe.
  12. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    If you mean should we run the spread with these coaches - heck no! If you are asking whether Chip Kelly would have this team putting up 400+ yards consistently - heck yes!
  13. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Running the spread option would likely mean a change at OC and OL coach. I think we'd also look at a different strength training program, although I would rather keep Dillman
  14. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    Yes, if the coaches know how to run it. We line up everyone so tight that numbers in the running game are simply not in our favor since defenses load the box. This situation is worsened by a line that can't block. Simply by spreading the field, the defense would have to spread out and allowing more room to run. Missing blocks would actually have less of an effect in this scenario due to runningbacks havering more freedom and space to work with. The most successful spread teams are run oriented for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  15. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    exactly