Worst Gators Football Score To You?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by swamp1, Jun 17, 2014.

1. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    What ex-players say doesn't matter because they're emotionally invested, fans don't matter because their emotionally invested, journalists/ESPN/articles/news don't matter because they're attention whores. Is yours the only opinion that matters? I realize you're saying that you don't think it's as bad as some here say it was and I'm here to say that I don't agree and there are many others that agree with me.

It was as bad as I am making it out to be. The team flat gave up. It's our head-coach's job to make sure that the players show up to the game prepared to play; they didn't and thus, he didn't. Were you there, at the game? I was and it was embarrassing.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. gwag

gwag New Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Surprised that Rutgers tie in 1985 or that Memphis loss in 1988 when Emmitt got hurt and the season went into the crapper in a hurry haven't been mentioned.
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,087
    lol......you sure love twisting people's words. I simply stated it wasn't AS embarrassing as you and some others have made it out to be in many threads. Once again, my opinion, that you can't seem to allow me to have and yet here you are trying to question me about my opinion only mattering. Interesting.

Yes journalists, and especially ESPN, are attention whores. To say otherwise is very naive. As far as players commenting, I stated about emotions played a factor. I bet if they were asked about it now, there would be a little more logic used in pointing out what took place in that game.

As far as your coach comment is concerned, I already stated the same thing. Yes I was at the game; on the sideline to be exact.

I'm done in here with this......you can carry on without me as my point(opinion) is valid and has been made!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,087
    I personally only thought of games I was actually able to remember. Being only 4 and 7 respectively, those games are a little blurry to me :)
  5. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I'm not twisting words, I'm seeking clarification. That's why I posed it as a question instead of a statement. Every other opinion the ex-players, me/others, or the news/media has some sort of reason to excuse their opinion according to you. Why is that? That's all I'm asking. Why is yours the only opinion that shouldn't be be taken as a grain of salt (pardon, I know i messed this up, but don't remember exactly how it's said) and if you're not implying that, then why even bring it up?

I'll agree with you in that we should stop here, however.
  6. gwag

gwag New Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I was at that Memphis debacle. If I remember correctly, Emmitt went down and then missed four games, that we all lost. Also in that game, our starting QB Kyle Morris got knocked out as well. Memphis State wasn't that good back then either, and we were coming off a huge win against LSU the week before. Ugh.
  7. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    Didn't just lose those games, we didn't score an offensive touchdown between October 1st and November 12th :eek:

Still...I say the GA southern loss trumps them all, at least that team came alive to beat KY to go to a bowl then they won the bowl.
  8. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    GSU accepted an invitation to the Sun Belt in March of last year; they were simply going through the transitional season.

In Saban's first year at Bama he lost to UL-M out of the Sun Belt; they were DI-AA until 1994, and had won 1 DI-AA National Championship.

Last year we lost to a GSU program that has 6 DI-AA National Championships.

Should UF lose to GSU? Of course not.

Can I recall a time in 45 years of Gator football when we had 28 injuries, 16 of them season-ending, and to mostly starters? Nope.

Not sure what y'all expected, but when we didn't even have enough OL to play a freakin' O&B game I knew I needed to temper my expectations; and it didn't get anything but worse as more starters and their backups dropped.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    Nobody said it wasn't a big deal; any loss to a lower division, even a lower conference opponent, is going to be regarded as the worst loss.

But I also recall reading very few stories about how severe our injury situation really was... and that's not surprising since the "journalists", websites, and rival fans don't have that vested interest.

Even some of our own fans, who DO have that vested interest, seemed oblivious to what was going on at the Gainesville M*A*S*H* Unit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    I guess it's less embarrassing to me because our team was terrible in the first place. A terrible team lost to a team that should've been a little more terrible.

Same reason I don't consider the '79 home loss to 6-5 Tulsa the most embarrassing; our team sucked. No expectations, no embarrassment.

Tulsa lost to McNeese State that year but had no trouble with a UF team that finished 0-10-1.

To me it's far more embarrassing to start a season #5, roll over every opponent in convincing fashion, set scoring records like you're playing a pinball machine, trounce your SEC West opponent in the SECCG, and work your way up to #2... only to get obliterated by 38 on the biggest stage and look like you didn't even really belong on the same field as the RUSHING team that put up 62. That 38 point difference is still the largest margin of victory in Fiesta Bowl history and the 62 allowed by us is still the most scored in its history..

My only saving grace was I didn't know anybody from Nebraska and to this day I've still never met a Husker fan.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,087
    This way pretty much my point. I like Cistern, and she's usually on point, so maybe I just wasn't clear enough.
  12. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485

I guess "worst" score has different meanings to all of us.

As far as my personal emotional reaction it is without a doubt 62-26.

And, I caught far more hell from other fans for THAT score than for the loss to gsu. By that time, everyone knew we sucked.

Ironically, I had a conversation with a friend the week before. He is a dawg fan (but he's old and toothless now), and I said to him that I would not be surprised if we lost to gsu and its triple option. Not saying it wasn't an embarassing loss just not what I define as the worst.

Cistern and Tebowism can now continue on ...
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    When they got healthy again...
  14. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400

SPOT ON
  15. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372
    34 vs. 38, the Swindle. How there wasn't a riot after that game, I'll never know.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +971
    I don't actually remember any of our losing scores. I usually drink until I forget the details of the day.
  17. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,832
    Oh, I sure loved that game in Athens! I was just commenting on what I thought was the worst loss for the Gators in our history, the 0-75 loss to the Bulldogs in 1942.

I would love to see a replay of that Gator win at Athens! And I remember Spurrier saying that he knew the Bulldogs had never given up more than 50 points at home and he wanted the Gators to be the first to do it! There were great newspaper articles on that game. One TD I'll never forget was when Danny had marched the Gators down to about the 10 maybe 15, something like that. So Danny throws a TD pass to Chris Doering in the left corner of the end zone. SEC officials threw a flag on the play. Of course Chris looked unhappy. 5 yard penalty. OK. Next play Danny does the same thing, throws a TD pass to Chris in the left corner of the end zone! And again, a flag on the play! Doering is really unhappy and he's got his hands on his hips in frustration. Another 5 yard penalty. Now the 3rd time Danny does the same play AGAIN! A TD pass to Doering in the left corner of the end one! This time, no flag! TD stands! I can never recall seeing anything like that in a football game! The 3 same TD pass plays in a row and they all worked! I remember thinking, just how bad is this Bulldog defense that they give up the same TD play 3 times in a row! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. swamp1

swamp1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    GWAG: Yes...the Rutgers tie was horrible. I was there like the rest of us.
    I work down the road from Rodney Brewer's family. I talked to them for a half an hour about the tie and how it affected him. Rodney was devastated for trying so hard and having the wheels come off. It's very much like 4-8 last year as a perfect storm/Coach Muschamp.

Rodney is a great Gators fan who was in the wrong place at the wrong time-he tried too hard to force his pass plays to be great that day; trying to eclipse Bell. Hell, his brother parked right next to me. Said Rodney was waaaay BETTER than Bell countless times to us. Maybe Rodney listened to his family too much. All I know is, we waited and waited and big brother never came back to his black blazer.

Rodney is a great family man and a hard-working, quality guy in Apopka.
    We owe him an apology.
    Rodney, that day, in my youth, I made a lot bigger mistake than you ever did. For that, I apologize to you. I lost perspective and that is a lot more important than a tie.
    Real Gators Are Mean, not Mean To Other Gators.
  19. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    I was just about to post the same thing......

I was in my junior year in 03, and that was definitely such a hard pill to swallow. I was literally enraged the whole week following that game as well.
  20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372
    No need to feel sorry for Rodney. He made up for it ten times over on the diamond.