Worlds Unfriendliest Cities (guess which US one's are on the list)

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    I wonder what exactly was their criteria. Shouldn't it be all about the people?
  2. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Core Charleston may have...that is where all the college students, artists, gays and Northeast libbie transplants live (where all the Obama restaurant jobs are being added)...but the suburbs and SC went overwhelmingly for Romney.
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,349
    With talk like that, its no wonder the Charleston suburbs aren't on the list of friendliest suburbs.
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    Being to two places you consider liberal and 3 or 4 large cities you consider conservative and then thinking back to consider their helpfulness isn't exactly the epitome of science, Real. I'd just do a bit more research before you consider something truth. Neither are these bizarre little correlations, like the one in the OP, that get brought to the board all the time.

Moc hates liberals. Just hates them. He will find evidence that they are evil, stupid, hypocritical, and mean anywhere he looks. I must have seen hundreds of his threads on GC, and I can't recall one that touted any aspect, any one at all, of liberals. If you've had hundreds of thoughts of someone, and you can't think of one, single positive thing to say, know at least one thing about your analysis of the person: you are not searching for truth.
  5. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,489
    how about the entire county? who'd it vote for?
  6. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    I would say Obama by a nose. If you look at the high concentration of AA voters and where they live in the state, Charleston would be included, probably 30% AA. And they had high turnout and we all know why.
  7. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +506

My Father was my best friend and best man at my wedding. He was a Massachusetts liberal. (although he didn't live his life like one) We had great debates. He was everything to me. And he was a liberal.

I hate liberalism. I hate stateism. It's slavery. It is anti-human. It leads to the death of many any and every time it's fully implemented. I don't hate Nancy Pelosi... I hate every last little thing she stands for. I hate that slimy politicians holds so much dominion over all of us. I hate that my life and freedom is diminished everyday so politicians can get votes by bartering for them with my earnings.

I hate liberalism. And I will do my little best to fight it, speak against it, and teach my kids to abhor it for it's complete lack of virtue and morality.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945

Amen brother...
  9. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +569
    I don't mean to indicate that you are incapable of caring for someone who happens to be a liberal (In fact, I am glad to find out that this isn't true for you). And I don't even mind that you hate liberalism. Passion for doing what you think is right is admirable.

What I am trying to say is that your hatred for the ideology is so strong that it is highly unlikely that you are ever viewing these people without bias. You saw a list of a subjective ranking of least friendliest cities, noticed some of the top ones had liberal leaders, and then insinuated that liberalism causes people to be mean. That's crazy. If I showed you a list of "happiest" or "nicest" countries that had slimy, enslaving Scandinavian countries toward the top (as they often do), you'd likely assume that the ranking is biased or it is a coincidence. But when you see a coincidence that fits your very ardent worldview, you see the truth. See what I am saying?

We all have biases, moc, and the more passionate we become, the stronger these biases become. This isn't a problem when it comes to sports, where there is little damage done if Danny Wuerffel isn't actually better than Charlie Ward. However, if you infuse this bias into Pelosi or row, it can hurt you. Sometimes these people are on the side of your beloved freedom, and your conservatives are not. It may be less likely than the reverse, but if you never see it this way, you are definitely making mistakes.
  10. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +946
    Of course they do. If they didn't a Conde Nast reader survey wouldn't be meaningful proof of which cities are the friendliest and unfriendliest.
  11. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    no southern cities I see
  12. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    Both have smelly taxi drivers.
  13. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +149
    This is an odd city. Southern culture is generally very nice people. Whenever I take trips to GA I'm amazed at how nice everyone is. That being said Charleston is 41% black and a somewhat large city (by the south standards). I am not surprised it barely voted for Obama.

It's friendly status is more to do with southern culture than its left voting base. But you are correct that some of the other cities on that list has less to do with being liberal cities than just the culture there.
  14. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,466
    YEP!! Every time someone cuts me off, I yell "Democratic jerk!" No matter what the bumper sticker states. :roll:
  15. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +569
    This is wbg's point. You can't assume causation from a simple correlation when it fits your narrative, and then use theory to explain away correlations that do not. If we are allowed to do that, we can invent any pattern.
  16. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    IMO Southern hospitality derives from 2 items in our heritage

1) The agrarian past. Be a good neighbor and help out because one day it may be you that needs the help. When people are far apart, it's important to be nice to those around you.

2) The Scottish culture of honor has been handed down in the south (the book Outliers documented this very well.) The Culture of honor requires respect, which is what hospitality is at its core.

A city like Newark or New Haven will not have either of these items present.

Some may trace friendliness to being conservative but in my experience in SC (I've lived here since graduation from UF) blacks are just as friendly as whites- and they vote overwhelmingly democratic.
  17. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,349
    It is more of a cultural thing than a political thing. The remnants of "honor culture" may have something to do with it, but part of the "honor culture" was also retributive violence. So, if some traces of this remain, its not completely positive.
  18. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +742
    It is capitalists like me that visit world class cities, spend money and help keep them world class cities.
  19. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +742
    I will be there Wednesday. Looking forward to it.