World Cup Poll

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dangolegators, Jun 12, 2014.

?

Choose your category

1. I'm a conservative and I like soccer

43.6%
  2. I'm a conservative and I don't like soccer

25.5%
  3. I'm a liberal and I like soccer

20.0%
  4. I'm a liberal and I don't like soccer

10.9%
  1. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,345
    I've participated in a few soccer threads, there is always that guy who weighs in with nothing other than "I think soccer is boring." Congrats on being that guy in this thread. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    So you come to a thread on it, one which you could simply avoid, and then make sure everyone knows how you feel?

Drama queen :)
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,956
    Hahaha- oh well too bad
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +769
    Well, you gotta' admit, if there was one soccer thread for which his opinion would be appropriate, this is it (see OP).
  5. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,712
    Costa Rica is just going bonkers in this World Cup.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +769
    A primitive, simplistic, breakdown by geographic region:

In/Good probability---------------------on the cusp---------------------------------Out

Euro's:

Netherlands------------------------------Croatia---------------------------------England
    France------------------------------------Greece---------------------------------Spain---
    Germany---------------------------------Italy---------------------------------------------
    Belgium----------------------------------Switzerland--------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Bosnia-------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Portugal-----------------------------------------
    Americas (So./No./Cent'l):

Brazil-------------------------------------Uruguay-----------------------------------------
    Mexico------------------------------------Ecuador-----------------------------------------
    Chile--------------------------------------Honduras----------------------------------------
    Costa Rica-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Columbia------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Argentina------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    USA------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Africa/Oceania/Asia:

--------------------------------------------Cameroon------------------------------Australia
    --------------------------------------------Ivory Coast---------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Nigeria--------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Ghana--------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Iran-----------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Russia---------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------So. Korea------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Algeria---------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Japan----------------------------------------------

^^^overall and percentage wise, the America's are looking the best imo, though the Euros have a couple of very strong teams in France and Germany.

Of course it's early; lot's of soccer left to be played.
  7. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +769
    After a hard fought heart breaking last second tie to Portugal...US remains 'good probability'--win or tie Germany, and US advances; what's more, tie by Portugal and Ghana regardless of what US does with Germany, and US advances.

So, assuming someone wins the game between Port'l and Gha, and US loses to Germany, it goes to point differential--US enjoys a great chance against Portugal here, due to their lop sided loss to Germany.

If US losses to Germany, and Ghana beats Portugal, US still has a good chance, provided neither game is won by greater than 1 goals, and we maintain an advantage (or tie) in # of goals scored (after which it goes to head to head, which we won).

E.g. Germany beats US 2-1, Ghana beats Portugal 1-0, US still advances.

* ----------------*------------------*--------------------*---------------------*-------------------*

Teams that played this weekend are bolded; the only change in [my primitive] categories, is that Algeria shifted from 'on the cusp', to 'good probability', with its win over So. Korea (coincidence, that they're on same line).

* ----------------*------------------*--------------------*---------------------*-------------------*

In/Good probability---------------------on the cusp---------------------------------Out

Euro's:

Netherlands------------------------------Croatia---------------------------------England
    France------------------------------------Greece---------------------------------Spain---
    Germany---------------------------------Italy---------------------------------------------
    Belgium----------------------------------Switzerland--------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Bosnia-------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Portugal-----------------------------------------

Brazil-------------------------------------Uruguay-----------------------------------------
    Mexico------------------------------------Ecuador-----------------------------------------
    Chile--------------------------------------Honduras----------------------------------------
    Costa Rica-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Columbia------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Argentina------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    USA------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Africa/Oceania/Asia:
    --------------------------------------------Cameroon------------------------------Australia
    --------------------------------------------Ivory Coast---------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Nigeria--------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Ghana--------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Iran-----------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Russia---------------------------------------------
    Algeria-----------------------------------So. Korea------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Japan----------------------------------------------

Today, Chile and Holland play for first place in their group, and bragging rights;

Spain and Australia play for a band-aid. For the Aussies, a band-aid to cover a scrape; for Spain, a band-aid to apply to a gash/gushing laceration...

(But it is probably a last chance to see the core of a very special group of players, play one last time together. Viva España!).

Either way, loser gets salt applied to their respective wounds.

FWIW.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,004
    My two beefs with soccer.

1. Penalty Kicks worst way to decide a winner (or champion). Like settling the US Open or Masters on a series of 4-foot, straight puts. Not about who will rise to the challenge, but who will choke/miss something they should make 100 times out of 100.
    2. Head to Head should always trump Goal Differential as a tiebreaker.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,477
    It was a heartbreaker last night, but we still have a pretty good chance to move to the next round.

But here's the reaction to our short-lived goahead goal:

• Like Like x 2
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,004
    Maybe Jergen can work out a "deal" with the Germans. As it is (given their 4-1 stomping of Portugal), Germany gets first place even with a tie.
  11. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +769
    Update:

Brazil and Mexico sailed into second round play with easy wins, while Croatia and Cameroon have joined Spain, England, Bosnia & Herzegovna, and the Aussies, on early home-bound flights.

So to update the above, teams designated with "*" have advanced, in order to distinguish "in" from "good probability".

So only 2 Euros have clinched, while 6 Americas have; 0 from the remaining combined regions.

...and 4 Euros, 0 Americas, and 2 from the remaining combined regions, have been eliminated.

Look'n good for the Americas, so far.

In*/Good probability---------------------on the cusp---------------------------------Out

Euro's:
    Netherlands*-------------------------------------------------------------------England
    Germany---------------------------------Italy-----------------------------------Croatia
    Belgium
    *--------------------------------Switzerland----------------------------Bosnia

Brazil*------------------------------------Uruguay-----------------------------------------
    Mexico*-----------------------------------Ecuador-----------------------------------------
    Chile*-------------------------------------Honduras----------------------------------------
    Costa Rica*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Columbia*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Argentina*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Africa/Oceania/Asia:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Australia
    --------------------------------------------Ivory Coast-----------------------------Cameroon
    Algeria------------------------------------So. Korea------------------------------------------

Feel free to 'check my math' here:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/groups/index.html
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  12. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,411
    These are super helpful updates 92, thanks.

Out of curiosity, what counts as a "good probability" for your purposes?

The Nigeria/Iran issue was all that made me wonder, since one of the two will make it in but you have both as being "on the cusp."

That's the region with the potential for some really interesting stuff assigning the second spot.

If Argentina beats Nigeria 1-0 and Iran beats Bosnia 1-0 (both of which are somewhat likely results), Iran and Nigeria would be tied for the second spot through every single statistical tiebreaker FIFA uses. So if those two 1-0 results happen, the second spot in Group F would be decided by the sixth FIFA tiebreaker, which is literally drawing a name out of a hat to see which team moves on.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,683
    If Argentina loses my brother-in-law will be on suicide watch.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,411
    They look much weaker than expected and if I had to guess will drop eventually.

Iran probably should have beaten them, but I would be surprised to see Nigeria get them (even though this is the game that they can actually lose and still move on in).
  15. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,683
    Heck, even Brazil has not looked like Brazil with the exception of today. This World Cup has been unpredictable.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +769
    Thank you. In answer to your question, first, it's kind of subjective (and i'll own some biases here and there that may have crept in). Second, I was focusing more on the 'in/good probability' and 'out', categories, than the 'cusp' column, which was the default/punt pile. If it was unclear, even if leaning one way or the other, I threw 'em in the 'cusp' column--just as I did with Uruguay and Italy. Pretty good chance that one of those will advance; not so clear which one. Bam. Both are in the Cusp column.

The scenario you described--(roughly)--Iran winning, Nigeria losing--was what prompted me to punt. I thought about putting Nigeria in "in/good prob", since they have 4pts--but beating Argentina when first place is in play, is a tall order (though in retrospect, Arg. probably content with tie, as that would secure first place). But either way, at least Iran doesn't seem like a good probability.

Perhaps I should have put Nigeria in the 'good prob' column; and Italy as well, since ITA/URU tie, Italy advances, and ARG/NIG tie, NIG advances--and ties are good probability's in both cases. But like I said, it was just a matter of erring on the side of caution, and dumping any real questions into the 'cusp' column. (And some of it was perhaps a combo of gut and bias--as in Brazil and Mex--subjectively (if not objectively), Brazil was a shoe in, and Mexico seemed like a pretty solid bet to win or tie. Fortunately, those games vindicated the subjective--but I didn't feel so confident with Nigeria or Italy, when I put them in the 'maybe' pile).
  17. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,411
    I hear ya.

If I were to guess, I actually think Iran will be Group F #2. I don't think Nigeria is terribly good (the officials are pretty much the sole reason they beat Bosnia), and with as off-prime as Argentina has looked, I think they take the opportunity to try to find their form rather than laying back. We'll see how motivated Bosnia is now that they're eliminated, but that seems like a very winnable game for Iran (much more winnable than Argentina for Nigeria).
  18. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +769
    Another exciting afternoon of World Cup action (having a witness call in sick for depo, I had some time to kill, and got to engage in a time honored tradition--I got to play hooky, and catch some World Cup action, live!).

So, yet another European squad was sent packing, as Uruguay defeated Italy, in a controversy filled game. (anyone detecting a pattern here? Remember that 'narrative' I mentioned up-thread? It would appear that the 'narrative' for this year's WC, is "hell no, Europe will NOT take home a 3rd consecutive WC championship--definitely not on American soil". And perhaps a secondary 'narrative'--"the champ shall reign from the New World"...but I digress...).

...anyway, an Italian player was issued a red card, around the 60th minute. Dubious? Controversial? Well, let me put it this way--the play met the elements of what we the law would call a 'prima facie' case. The offending player kicked over the ball by a good margin, and hit an opponent (a 'high tackle'). So yeah, it falls squarely within the ref's discretion. However, the resulting 'injury', the nature of the offense, and the circumstances vis a vis the stakes...all suggested it would be quite acceptable to simply give Uruguay a free kick, or perhaps even issue a yellow. Alas, 'the narrative' called for--shall we say...more assertive action...

(And this is coming from a guy who likes Uruguay a lot; easily one of my top 5 teams I pull for and follow; in fact, usually my #3, behind US and Spain).

...and it gets better still--MUCH better.

Luis Suarez--the hero who scored 2 goals against England--the second, a heart breaker in the 85th minute---bit one of the Italians on the shoulder. Ouch. The Italian player made it obvious what had happened; and while there was enough reason to doubt, and to give Suarez the benefit of the doubt--alas, his own reputation betrayed him, as this was his THIRD major biting incident. It was truly ugly and shameful.

So Italy gets a guy kicked out of the game (red card) for a 'high tackle', and is forced to play with 10 men for the remainder of the match--and Suarez bites a guy...and got a brief talking to (perhaps a free kick; don't recall--but no card). A couple of minutes later, shocker of shockers...Uruguay scored a goal--the winner.

Expect some fall out from the biting incident--but don't expect too much. Controversy is part of the great drama that is the World Cup. It's to be duly recognized and chastized--but not punished so harshly as to be completely discouraged to the point of eliminating any such.... ;)

In other group D action, Costa Rica beat England 1-0.

In group C, as I write, Columbia and Japan are tied at 1 at half, and Greece is flirting with a pretty nice little upset (imho, anyway), leading Ivory Coast 1-0 at half.

I'll update my graph later, after the dust settles with the second round of games.
  19. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +244
    My only problem with soccer is not one player, coach or fan has any idea how much time is left in the half or game.

Any reason why the game clock cannot be tied to the referee's watch so we all know how much time is left?
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,004
    Italians have a way of baiting people into crazy things (Zidane).