World Cup Poll

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dangolegators, Jun 12, 2014.

?

Choose your category

1. I'm a conservative and I like soccer

43.6%
  2. I'm a conservative and I don't like soccer

25.5%
  3. I'm a liberal and I like soccer

20.0%
  4. I'm a liberal and I don't like soccer

10.9%
  1. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Last World Cup, there were a number of posters, seemingly mostly conservatives, who expressed their distaste for soccer and the World Cup. I'm curious to see where we stand now.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,432
    What's not to like about flopper ?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    I'd be willing to bet its more of an age thing. Over 40, and odds are you don't like soccer (and have open contempt for it), under 40 and odds are that you don't mind soccer, even if you dont watch a lot of it. Obviously there are going to be exceptions, but playing the percentages, I'd say its generally true.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,432
    I actually don't dislike it. I will watch it. I just can't stand the way English fans won't shutup singing through the entire match.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Probably right, but I'm 50 and a big soccer fan. There was a clear contempt for it among certain conservatives last time. It's not American.
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,572
    I'm neither and I like soccer. FWIW, I also could give a rats ass whether you like soccer or not. Less of you means a seat and better service for me. Win/Win. So, here's the deal. If you don't like it, don't come into my (Irish) bar and tell me how much it sucks, is boring, etc. and I won't waste your time telling you that "you just don't understand."
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    That being said, my parents are into watching the US in the World Cup. So, I think that other than the haters, people who dont care much about soccer will watch US World Cup games (especially since they arent on at crazy hours), kind of like the Olympics. I dont really care about swimming, but damn if I'm not chanting USA, USA when we win the women's IM relay. I think its safe to say that the World Cup is going to get its best ratings ever in the US this year - theres more interest, the games are at good hours, etc.
  8. richmondgator81

richmondgator81 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    I'll watch the US in the world cup.

But I definitely wouldn't say I "like" soccer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,572
    I think that's awesome. I once told an English friend that he had to come to a Gator game as it was the closest thing in this country in terms of fan commitment and passion to what he's used to back home. Unfortunately, we were never able to work that out.
  10. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Damn English, don't they know singing in sports is only for the begining of games, at the command of a band at big moments in the game, and at the end of the third quarter, and also again at the end of games?
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    As with anything, if you're conservative and say you don't like something then you automatically "hate" it. I've tried to like soccer, but I just can't get into it. Being from the South hockey was never a sport we played as youths. I tried to like it while I lived in Boston. I just couldn't get into it. Same with basketball. I tried to get into the Celtics. It never took hold. I like football and baseball.

So...I don't hate soccer. I dislike it, but not because it's not American. There are plenty of American sports I don't care for, either. In general, though, I'm a sports fan so I'll actually watch and enjoy any sport. I only follow football and baseball, though.
  12. richmondgator81

richmondgator81 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    The Problem With American Soccer Fans
    It All Feels Like An Elaborate Affectation

By
    JONATHAN CLEGG
    CONNECT
    Updated June 6, 2014 1:16 p.m. ET
    [​IMG]
    One of the many scarf-toting fans at the U.S.'s 2-0 victory over Mexico in Columbus, Ohio, in September.Getty Images

Growing up as a soccer fan in England, I've witnessed my fair share of horrors. I've seen shocking acts of violence, overheard hundreds of abusive chants and watched Pelé retire to sell erectile dysfunction pills.

Over the years, I've been angered, saddened and ashamed by these things. But through it all, my love for soccer remained undimmed.

But lately, I've discovered there's a new scourge on my beloved game that I simply cannot tolerate: Americans.

Understand that I'm not talking about the vast majority of you, who still regard soccer as a distinctly European product of dubious worth, like espadrilles or universal health care.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-i-hate-american-soccer-fans-1402012291

I found this to be pretty spot on and amusing.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    What??? It's freak'n awesome! Everyone in the whole damn stadium seems to know the words to the songs...that is one of the coolest things in sports. It's like a 60,000-100,000 (depending on the stadium) outdoor pub.

We're lucky to get 90,000 to sing We are the Boys--a pretty catchy and simple song--one time--at a per-ordained time in the game (and a handful can much mouth their way through the alma mater--I suppose we have that now, thanks to urbs).

Premier league soccer would be boring, if it weren't for the hooligan's bellowing out their favorite pub songs-or whatever they're signing ( I just know it looks/sounds like fun).

btw--I caught Van Halen opening up for Bon Jovi (yes, you read that correctly--it was like chasing filet mignon with a cheeseburger) in '95, in Wembly Arena. The fans were pretty normal during 'halen, but it seems they like them some Bon Jovi--the whole damn stadium seemed to know every single lyric to every single BJ tune, and sung loudly and proudly throughout....it was awesome (even if you're luke warm on BJ). (Fortunately they didn't drown out Eddie's guitar in the opening act...).

Brits like to sing; and seem to have a knack for lyrics.

Concur.
  14. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    They're funny that way. One of my kids played on a HS soccer team with a Brit coach. The coach's Brit buddies used to come to the games and sing in the stands. Bear in mind that this wasn't exactly a rowdy atmosphere - maybe 30 people total in our team's bleachers, with 2 or 3 Brit 30-somethings singing away. One of them once said it just didn't feel right to attend a match and not sing.
  15. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Every four years is just about right for my interest level in soccer
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,269
    My level of attention for sports is strictly college level. My wife on the other hand is a big professional soccer fan. I'm not exactly sure what this all has to do with politics though.
  17. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    Great article! I share the same annoyance with Am. Soccer Fan---at least the type of pretenders/faux snobs he described--not that I question their genuine appreciation of the sport--just their expression of that appreciation. It's transparently cheesey--like they're constantly out to impress someone (e.g.--football has a distinct meaning here; using it to describe soccer, in English, simply causes unnecessary confusion, or need for clarification; or 'pitch'--so forced, so unnatural...).

Factor in what he identified--that you have fans emulating English Fan, German Fan, Italian Fan, Spanish Fan... and you get this mish-mash potpourri that reeks of identity crisis, when they're striving for an identity.

Now, the natural American soccer fan, is a cult on to itself. One might call them a subspecies of the Stoner. :)

They're the real deal--as authentic as any in Europe, or South America.

They played (or still play) the game; they refer to the game as 'soccer', played on a 'soccer field'; with "pk's", etc, etc.

(...and they don't wear scarves).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    The funny thing is I've never met these douchy soccer fans described in these articles. All the people I know that are super into soccer are just big sports fans in general, and know just as much about NFL/NBA/NCAA or whatever.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,269
    Their freaking crazy, add in Central America as well. My brother-in-Law loses his mind with soccer.
  20. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,910
    Before I vote, I need to know: Will there be vuvuzelas?
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1