Workout with sons.

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Allanon, May 6, 2012.

1. Zmit

Zmit New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    how many hours do you usually do per day?
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Not sure how it is in your area but i have found gyms as low as 10 a month. Buying your own can get expensive but you can just get what you need and add on as you go.
  3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    I acquired a barbell, pair of adjustable dumbbells, roughly 400 pounds of weight and a pullup apparatus for about $100.

Just sayin ...
  4. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    I've held off buying any equipment for the time being. By the time they work out in PE and then go through football practice he is worn out when he gets home so I have just been doing various things with the dumbbells we have at home. We will add that stuff later.

I do have a question for you guys. I have been dealing with tendonitis in my shoulder for awhile now. I took some time off and it did not help a lot. What, in your opinion, is the best way to combat this problem? Thanks.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Tendonitis is a way of life for me. It never really goes away and my reference point is whether or not the pain is 'baseline' or higher. If baseline, full speed ahead. If higher, take some time off or just do really light stuff.

It may signal overuse or repetitive stress. And apart from the usual recommendations, we are typically urged to refrain from movements which exacerbate it for as long as necessary. This may take weeks, months or even longer. This does not set well with competitive types like myself.

Now, I will say that my warmup is more arduous than it used to be. Ex: I may take fully five minutes just to warm up my wrists. And I may repeat said exercises between sets of pressing exercises.

Oh, and tendonitis appears to be a catch-all term. More and more we're hearing tendinosis or tendinopothy used to describe longer-term conditions which may not have to do with inflammation.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Shoulder tendonitis is not a real common complaint as far as I know. It might be biceps tendonitis actually if its in the front of the shoulder where the biceps meets the front deltoid.

Anyway, that isnt important really. I have been dealing with triceps tendonitis in my left arm on and off for at least 10 years. When it first flared up I saw and ortho and he told me to rest for 8 weeks. So I did, and then went back to working out slowly. That definitely worked for me but there is no way I would take 2 months off again.

When I started lifting seriously again after shoulder surgery my triceps tendonitis returned and having already taken off more than enough time in recovery I decided to manage it. I got a neoprene sleeve, began an ice regiment everyday and did a more thorough warm up before I worked out. I also removed any tricep specific movements. Not sure that last part will be possible for you if it is actually your shoulder because you will feel it on all pressing movements.

Oh and just to cover all bases you might want to see a doc if its really bothering you.
  7. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +395
    I normally go to a chiropractor if I have someting like this. He had my back fixed up recently in no time. However, the guy I go to has had some serious health issues lately so I went to another guy I know. He called it shoulder tendonitis. The other guy was able to come back to work so I went to him and he said bicep tendonitis. I went to him for a couple of weeks until his health issues came up again so now I will have to see the other guy for awhile. I've had ultrasound treatments on it.

I will have to add that if I move a certain way I can feel a small pop. It does not really hurt but it has started hurting some when I do stretches for my shoulder. And if I wake up and am asleep on it I just have to brace myself to move because I know it is going to hurt.

It pisses me off because I want to be working out and I am very competitive and I don't like missing my workouts.
  8. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +395
    Well, the youngest had some good news when I picked him up after practice today. His max bench was 155. He said today he got 165. And said it was kinda easy. He tried 170 but could not quite get it.
  9. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +395
    Guys, I wanted to pass this on since y'all had some good advice this Summer. I picked the youngest up after practice today and he told me that he got 170 on his bench press today. Got 175 about halfway up. So he's gone up 15 pounds in the last month and a half, 10 pounds in the last week.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Nice progress.
  11. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +395
    Just wanted to pass on another increase in his bench press. He got 175 last week and got real close to 180 this week. So he has now improved by 20 pounds since about the first of August. He is really excited about it.
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Great progress.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Oh, to be a teenager again.
  14. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +395
    Guys, got another one to pass along tonight. He got 180 this afternoon. So he has improved by 25 pounds since August 2.
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Baller. Hows your shoulder/bicep doing?
  16. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +395
    It's a little better after taking October off but it still bothers me.

We went to workout the other day and did the workout that my oldest son had us doing with lower weight but more reps. This Summer I was doing the same weight and reps as the younger one. But, now, after taking October off and only doing light weights for a month or so before that, I could not do it all. I had him help me so I would get all the reps in but by the end my arms were just along for the ride.

I did find a way to do squats without hurting my shoulder. I do them on the Smith Machine and just leave my one arm hanging down.
  17. gandergator

gandergator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    My idea of a good workout is to sit on the porch with a frosty rootbeer and watch my HS junior grandson burn his dad's hands up with smoking hot passes. Unfortunately, I don't get to watch much. They are in KY and I am in FL. They must be effective. He has QB'ed his team to a district undefeated championship.
  18. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +395
    And he has put on 5 pounds during his football season. The coaches told me they were hoping he could put on about 20 pounds by next year so he has a pretty good start to it.
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Its great to be a newb sometimes. In your first year of proper training its definitely possible to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle.
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Allanon, your inbox is full. Let me know when you've cleared it.