Workout with sons.

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Allanon, May 6, 2012.

1. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    I went with my 19 and 15 year old sons today to workout. Today was upper body. The 19 year old just finished his freshman year of college. He is planning to be a college football coach and has had classes on exercise and putting together health plans and workouts. He is incorporating that stuff along with workouts he did when playing high school football and basketball. He lost weight when he first went to college but he has put on 10 to 15 pounds since he started working out. He is planning to help his little brother a lot over the Summer. I'm going with them.

I'm not sure I will be able to move my arms in the morning.
  2. holloffamer

holloffamer New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Nothing like a good work out with the family. :yes:
  3. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +448
    You are absolutely right. We can each inspire and push the others. I am not as sore as I thought I would be but my arms are still very tired.
  4. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +241
    It's cool you work out with your sons. I'm glad that you're imparting that mentality onto them- a healthy lifestyle is a way of life, not just a phase that comes in every time you need to lose 10 pounds for the summer beach trip.
  5. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +448
    We did legs Monday night. Now I am sore top to bottom.
  6. Zendra

Zendra New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    That's sweet. Do your kids enjoy the gym experience?
  7. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +448
    It's interesting to see maturity take hold in different ways and various forms as the kids get older. The oldest did his workouts in high school well but he did not really want to do extra work in the weightroom. Now that he is finished playing he has himself on a workout regimen. He sees the benefit of doing the extra work and he wants his brother to benefit from what he has learned. Kind of sounds a lot like a parent doesn't it? Part of his growth in that area is the things he has studied in college this year. Another part of it has been working as a student assistant or manager with a D1 basketball team and now he has started doing that with a D1 football team also. He was already working out prior to starting the football job but I think he has seen first hand what those guys do and how it benefits them.

So he has arranged a workout program for himself and now that he is home for the Summer he has put his little brother on it too. I am going to benefit from it too but I also think it helps the younger one if all of us are working out together. We were talking during our first workout the other day about the younger one's max out weight amounts His brother told him if he will do this workout all Summer in addition to what he is doing with the football team he thinks he might be able to add as much as 40 pounds to his bench max. When they get certain max amounts they get their name on the board. He is currently 25 pounds away on his bench and he wants his name on that board. His problem is that he is a skinny wide receiver so he does not have the body weight that all the other guys on the board have but he is determined to get his name up there. We'll see how it goes.
  8. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,804
    Sounds like you have a great relationship with your sons Allanon. When I was that age, I didn't want to do anything with my dad!
  9. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +448
    My wife and I have, I think, great relationships with all our kids. They have always been the kind that would rather have their friends at our house. They have always loved being at home. The older brother just loves to pick on his little brother. I guess that is normal. But he is also really trying to help him. We worked out again last night. It was upper body again but we did not do it as intense as the other day because he had some ab work he put him through while catching tennis balls. He put him through the ringer last night and not a word of complaint from his little brother.

Our coach happened to still be there and he walked in while he was doing the ab work and jokingly told us that was child abuse.
  10. Zendra

Zendra New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Who could ever forget their first workout, right? But we should not over do it. They say that we should give our muscles the time it needs to recover from a workout. It is good to spend some time with our boys working out. You must remember though to set some limit for yourself. A warm shower and a good massage might just help with your arms in the morning.
  11. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +448
    I have not had as much muscle soreness in a long time.

Our workout Monday night included one exercise that consists of a barbell curl going halfway up for 7 reps followed by 7 reps of a curl going halfway down followed by 7 reps of a full curl. That is 1 set.

I have named it the Bicep Killer.
  12. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    :zombie:
    We used to call those 21's. But Bicep Killer is probably better. Good for you and your sons, keep it up!
  13. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +448
    I will have to say that something about our workouts must be working because my youngest weighed 144 pounds when he was weighed at our Fieldhouse somewhere in the first half of April. They weigh them on occasion but since we started working out 12 days ago he is up to 149. One more pound and he will have put on 20 pounds since about June 1 of last year.

It is working in reverse too because I have lost 6 pounds since we started working out. Maybe I gave them to my son.
  14. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,415
    Enjoy it while you can. I started working out with my son two years ago. I was running rings around him at the time. He couldn't even deadlift 135 pounds with proper form.

Well, he rocketed past me and within months was deadlifting 405, and doing feet-elevated pushups with two 45's on his back.
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    My wife and I joined a gym together back in March. We added our daughter to the membership and she's worked out with me a number of times. She's been away from volleyball for a year and a half, but she's still pretty strong.

My son lifted 150 pounds today when he got off the couch.
  16. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +448
    I must say I've had to start being a little careful with our workouts because my shoulders have started bothering me a little bit. I first noticed it when we were doing flies while laying on the bench. I do something different when they are doing flies now.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,415
    Good thinking. I can't imagine flies being good for the shoulders.
  18. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Some of you guys may be able to help me here. The older son and I don't worry about what our max outs are but the younger one will max out on occasion with the football team and he wants to get them up so he can get his name on the board.

Since he is doing more heavy weights in his football workouts we have been doing more work with lighter weight and more reps.

An example of his upper body workout goes like this. We will start out warming up on bench press with what turns out to be 42% of his max bench. We do 4 sets of 18, 16, 15 and then 14 reps. He will alternate his other exercises. They might be flies, chainsaws, curls, triceps, nosebreakers, pushups, pull ups, chin ups, etc. Then we finish with another round on bench with 25 reps at 42% of his max, 19 at 45%, 14 at 48%, 9 at 55% and 4 at 68%. The last upper body workout he did 15 reps at 50%, 10 at 68%, 5 at 77% and 2 at 87%.

He just maxed and he did not improve any. His weakness seems to be getting off his chest. We can tell he is stronger because his weights and reps with us have gone up some but it has not translated to improving his max.

As for his squats. He warms up at 50%. His last set he did 3 sets of 8 reps at 74%. Again, he will alternate his other exercises with calf raises, split squats, etc.

They do a 3 rep max for the squat. We did it yesterday and he went up 5 pounds. I think he could have done more but we let it go at that point.

I read the other post about Smolov, Jr. I did it the other day on the bench press using the younger one's amounts to see what the weight felt like. We are going on vacation next week and I am thinking of trying this when we get back for our bench and squat routines.

Any info, pointers or any other kind of help to help us to help him will be greatly appreciated.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,415
    That seems like an AWFUL lot of volume to me. That could be part of the problem.

But there are at least two ways I know of to enhance starting power on bench press: (1) paused presses and (2) speed presses.

One way to accomplish (2) is simply to preform your warmup reps crisply and quickly.
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394