Woody Allen

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 108, Feb 4, 2014.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,805
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/kristof/2014/02/01/an-open-letter-from-dylan-farrow/

When I read Dylan Farrow's account of being sexually molested by Woody Allen, I immediately believed it and was disgusted. I told my myself I would never support him with my wallet again.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/the-woody-allen-allegations-not-so-fast.html

The next day, I read this article with a very detailed layout of the misconceptions and facts of the case, along with some insight into Mia Farrow.

I came away thinking that maybe I rushed to judgement, as probably most people did after reading Farrow's story.

My gut feeling is that if someone was that stupid to commit such an act, in the middle of a custody and support battle, in the home of his jilted ex-girlfriend, then it must be an uncontrollable perversion. It was found that their was no credible evidence to the claims, and to my knowledge, Allen has never been accused of any such thing again.

Dylan very may well be telling the truth from her perspective (fact or believed), but logically, I find the story hard to believe.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    I don't think he did it, though making movies about hooking up with really young girls and the whole Sun-Yi thing makes it *easier* for people to believe the allegations, even though child abuse and attraction to much younger women are entirely different things.

I think its easy for a younger child to believe something happened if an adult leads them to believe it - it becomes true to them. I don't find it inconceivable that Farrow could believe this happened when it actually did not.

FWIW, I'm a fan of Allen's movies, so no doubt this clouds my judgment on this.
  3. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    The biggest reason to believe the story is WA's own actions with Sun-Yi and all the questions that surround the beginning of that relationship as wgb pointed out.

It's a despicable act to commit, and it's almost as despicable to falsely accuse someone of that with a somewhat detailed story of the actual event. Either Mia Farrow is a delusional nut-case capable of a pretty believable fiction story, or WA really did molest her. Hard to say, but I think it should be further looked into. At this point - WA has already been accused, there's no saving face now other than to delve deeper and prove he's not what she says.

Always felt like an outsider around many friends for my disconnect with WA's films; just always felt he was overrated.
  4. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    The Sun-Yi thing is a red-herring though , even if he's guilty of general ickyness and maybe statutory rape (sex with a minor), that doesnt necessarily make him a pedophile. They are different pathologies. Though, I do understand why his ickyness makes any other unseemly acitivity more believable.
  5. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    But its true, it does seem either Woody or Mia (or both?) are pretty f'd up people.
  6. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Does anyone know for certain at what age Woody Allen started his relationship with Sun-Yi? It's pretty clear he has a proclivity towards young women in some regard, although, that in and of itself is not necessarily wrong, it's just how young that really starts blur things.

It's really hard to know on this one which to believe, I think I lean towards him being guilty just because that account she came up with seemed too real and f'ed up to be fictional.
  7. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    Dating your ex's adoptive daughter is never going to be a *good* decision no matter what age.

I just think of the whole "Satanic ritual abuse" fad, and think that kids can be coerced or coached into coming up with incredible details on crimes that never happened. If you grew up thinking that this had happened to you, it sort of becomes part of your identity - it becomes real to you.
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,859
    Not an expert on the matter but it seems to me that if there were some serious smoke, Woody would have moved on from his "old lady." Too many other choices to explore, if he has an "itch." JMHO
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,863
    Wait... what? Define pedophile...
  10. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    He's still a typical Hollywood director dirtbag. My guess is that if he was ever forced to stand trial he would have jetted for Italy or some other European country....
  11. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,452
    Pedophilia is sexual attraction by an adult to a prepubescent child. Since a person can obviously be a minor without being prepubescent (i.e., teenagers), someone can commit the crime of statutory rape without meeting the definition of a pedophile.
  12. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,863
    Pedophile Definition
    dictionary.search.yahoo.com
    n. noun
    1. An adult who is sexually attracted to a child or children.
  13. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +254
    There is simply a different word for an adult who is sexually attracted to a post-pubescent minor. I don't think Ben was trying to say it was acceptable.

dictionary.search.yahoo.com defines child as:

n.noun

1. A person between birth and puberty.

2. An unborn infant; a fetus.

3. An infant; a baby.

4. One who is childish or immature.

5. A son or daughter; an offspring.

6. A member of a tribe; descendant.

children of Abraham.

7. An individual regarded as strongly affected by another or by a specified time, place, or circumstance.

a child of nature; a child of the Sixties.

8. A product or result of something specified.
  14. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,452
    Exactly, I don't recall for sure what that word is (ephebophile or something maybe?), but my point was that a pedophile is someone who has pedophilia. Pedophilia has a technical definition, and it's sexual attraction to a prepubescent child.
  15. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,342

People are in prison today from prosecutions during the "Satanic ritual abuse" era, that was eventually debunked, along with the quite fashionable "repressed memory syndrome" that went along with it.

I have a client in prison today resulting from a conviction based on repressed memory syndrome and Satanic ritual abuse. I was not the trial or appellate attorney, but tried to get him out on a post conviction motion, alleging ineffective assistance of trial counsel for letting all of that crap come in through expert witnesses, as evidence.

Tough to unwind a conviction, once it happens. In fact, it is the toughest task in criminal law.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,863
    I'll just go by what the state says a child is... their definition of a child, or minor.
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Totally strange and a bit disturbing regardless, but the Beast article clarifies that Sun-Yi was never Allen's adoptive daughter.
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    Right, that's why I said "ex [girlfriends]'s adoptive daughter."
  19. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    Yeah, some of the most famous convictions, those people spent what like 20-25 years in prison before they got released after a key witness recanted everything? Took forever even though everyone knew their conviction was bogus. I didnt realize there were still people in prison for that.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    The state doesn't define pedophilia, though, just the crime of statutory rape / sex with a minor.