Wonder Woman First Look

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by LeafUF, Jul 26, 2014.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,857
    Linda Carter looked much hotter
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. sneakygator

sneakygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    You are correct sir!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    1975, and I can still remember the theme song.

• Like Like x 1
  5. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,857
    didn't realize you were that old:p:p:D:D
  6. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,888
    I think she looks fine.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hilldw

Hilldw Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I've always been a DC fan over Marvel. I think that is because I was like 6 or 7 when Batman: The Animated Series (aka the best superhero cartoon series ever made) started. Galdot will be fine as WW. If what I read about her training is right she will look the part by the time they shoot her scenes. The thing that I disliked immediately about the pic was that I think it looks like she is wearing a bad wig. Other than that the costume is fine. She doesn't need the stars and stripes look of the traditional costume as it is her first appearance and probably the first time out of Themyscira. No point in having WW look like Betsy Ross made her an outfit from her scraps.

I've been on a bit of Superman kick lately. I just finished the Smallville series. It was just ok. The first couple seasons reminded me of the old Goosebumps books or the hardyboys. The story got better as the series went on but still had a daytime soap opera feel to it as some of the writing was poor. I liked Erica Durance as Lois Lane. Probably one of the best mixes of a tough as nails reporter combined with damsel in distress. Amy Adams' Lois just didn't have the damsel part down imo. Anyways if anybody has a DC superhero show or movie to recommend I'd appreciate it.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Hilldw, I have really enjoyed Arrow as have some others on here. I think the best thing they have had recently though was Young Justice which was a short lived cartoon on Cartoon Network. Season 1 is on Netflix.

For me when it comes to comics I prefer reading DC to Marvel. However, I think Marvel is blowing them away in the movies and that includes the recent additions to the XMen and Spiderman films. DC has done well with animated movies and show though. I also was a big fan of Smallville, really like Arrow and I am looking forward to the new shows in the fall (Flash, Gotham, Constantine).
  9. Swamp_Monkey

Swamp_Monkey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I'll believe it's good when I see it. Aside from Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, there hasn't been a good DC-universe movie since Tim Burton's Batman.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hilldw

Hilldw Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I've seen the previews for Gotham and while it looks to be well done the premise for the show seems odd to me. I thought most of Batman's villains had their origins after he started taking on the gangs and mobs of gotham. That is with the exception of the Joker whose origins remain shrouded in mystery, as they should. I'll give Gotham a chance though. As to the Arrow show, I've never followed Green Arrow's storyline and most of what I know of him comes from Smallville. Still at some point I'll probably give it a chance. I find it a bit odd that they are starting 3 new DC shows that are going to have nothing to do with their new movie universe.

I have to disagree with you that "Marvel is blowing [DC] away in the movies and that includes the recent additions to the XMen and Spiderman films". Marvel may be blowing DC away in quantity but not quality. I'm not impressed at all with the new Spiderman movies. The latest Wolverine was an entertaining movie but not one that I am rushing out to buy (I loved that it took place in Japan). The same goes with most of the movies they have put out. Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America entertaining? some of them. Do I want to own them and watch them multiple times? not really. DC's only recent bust was Green Lantern (not counting '06 Superman).

Here's the unofficial future film list:
    May 2016 – Batman v Superman
    July 2016 – Shazam
    Xmas 2016 – Sandman
    May 2017 – Justice League
    July 2017 – Wonder Woman
    Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up
    May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

I'm interested to see what they are going to do with Green Lantern. Are they going to switch to John Stewart or keep Hal Jordan? Reynolds is out, which is understandable, but I don't necessarily blame him for the failure of the Green Lantern movie. I feel like this whole thing could go bust (my feelings are only increased because of Batfleck and Eisenberg as Lex) but it could be epic if everything works out.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I'm just a casual fan so I am probably in the minority, but I liked the original Red and Blue outfit. She is still hot and will do a good job I am sure. Just prefer the old school to the new dark.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Give Arrow a shot. It is really good. I have only read a few of the storylines and this only slightly follows the comics. It does not have anything to do with the Smallville version of the character. Actually, the first season was much more like Batman Begins than Green Arrow: Year One.

Agree on Gotham, of the new series I think that one is the most likely to bust early.

As for your thoughts on the movies I will just respectfully disagree. I thought MoS was just meh and the way Nolans trilogy ended was completely disappointing. I am actually so down on the direction DC is trying to go with their films that I can not imagine a scenario where I go see any of those rumored films in a theater. Heck, I wouldnt even be surprised is most of them never happen. Especially when the Marvel Phase 3 will be competing on almost every release.

Xmen First Class and Days of Future Past are both excellent. Captain America: Winter Soldier was incredible. The Thor films were OK, Ironman was good, the sequels not as much. And Avengers pulled off everything Marvel set out to accomplish. I really enjoyed Amazing Spiderman.
  13. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,474
    I heard the Avengers 2 scenes shown at Comic Con were impressive.
  14. Hilldw

Hilldw Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Argh, I'm not sure if its GC or my comp (probably) but I'm having trouble with this site. I keep getting 502 errors. anyways...
    AV, yea I definitely prefer the old school red and blue but I think for a first appearance the warrior look will fit nicely.

Leaf, I wasn't blown away by Man of Steel the first time I saw it but have come to enjoy it more since then. The long in and out fight sequences Zach Snyder is known for in his films is a perfect fit for these movies. Yea I got tired of some of the flash backs and such but the movie covered a lot of ground and packed a lot into the 2.5 hours. One improvement I would have made was a better casting choice for Lois Lane. I just didn't see a lot of chemistry between Adams and Cavill. Another thing I liked about it is that there was not a lot of stupid humor/ridiculousness that you see in most superhero/action films. Really you only had that Air Force chick at the end tell the General that she thought Superman was "kinda hot".

The Dark Knight Rises was a bit of a letdown but again I'll point to bad female casting as one of the reasons. I liked Katie Holmes as Rachel but given her situation at the time she was a bad choice. If you are planning a trilogy what good is it to get an actor/actress that isn't guaranteed to return? Especially with how much emotional weight her character has in the movie. Maggie Gyllenhall did an ok job as a replacement Rachel. I thought her chemistry with Aaron Eckhart was fine, but I just didn't see it in her scenes with Christian Bale. Not having that chemistry just made me not care when she was blown to bits. That lack of emotion carried over to the Dark Knight Rises somewhat as Bruce is supposed to be depressed about her death. Ms. Over-actor-Hathaway was.. never mind, lets just say she was a major turn off to me. I simply cannot take her seriously. I thought Marion Cotillard did a really good job as Talia.

That said, how awesome was Tom Hardy as the re-imagined Bane? I loved Nolan's take on the villain. I usually am not for changing up a characters back story but he made up for a lot of the pitfalls of the movie. I think the most depressing thing about the way the movie ended is that there is no carry over for the future DC movies. No Gordon Levitt as a new Batman or Nightwing. Its just over.

In response to your take on Marvel's movies. Yea I just don't have the history with these movies to be into them and I find them somewhat mediocre, so they don't really inspire me to become a marvel fan. I saw X-Men first class and just kinda shrugged my shoulders at it. I think How It Should Have Ended nailed it on their take of the movie:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've read a few comic books here and there but mostly my DC fandom stems from the tv shows and movies. Recently I have decided that I want to actually read the books so I have been researching which ones I should go with.

Jack Kirdby's New Gods series is towards the top of my list. I really enjoyed Michael Ironside's Darksied in the animated series. As Kirby was a Marvel writer before his departure to DC the New Gods series is a bit of a crossover from Marvels Thor (Asgard is destroyed and out of it comes New Genesis and Apokolips). Other than that I figured I'd start post Infinite Crisis with the reboots like Man of Steel and Batman: Year One.

Sorry for the super long post.
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Hilldw, if you want suggestions of great books to read in the DCU I have a lot of suggestions I could. I read all the Crises and the best one is actually Identity Crisis which is totally different. There are plenty of good trade paperbacks that will give you a great feel for many of the characters.
  16. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    DC movies Burton's Batman and Watchmen stand alone. MOS made me want to physically hurt myself.
    In agreement with Leaf about Winter Soldier. Now just patiently waiting for GOG
    And all due respect to the old school but Gadot>Carter
  17. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,857
    no way anstro no way
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Hearing nothing but great things about GoG. Probably gonna go see it by myself this weekend as the girlfriend has zero interest. Oh, and the soundtrack is awesome.

http://io9.com/you-will-never-stop-listening-to-the-guardians-of-the-g-1599552301
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,888
    Yeah, Give Arrow a shot, it's the bomb.
  20. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +698
    Totally agree on Gadot. That pic doesn't do her justice.