1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Women's softball bracket to be announced at 10p tonight (5/11) on ESPNU

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by oragator1, May 11, 2014.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,882
    In case anyone is interested in watching. If I had to guess I would say we are a 3-4 seed but we shall see.
  2. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +312
    Top 4 already announced. We are not in those.
  3. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +312
    5 with FAMU, Stetson and UCF.
  4. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +312
    Paired with Washington, Iona, BYU and Northwestern.
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,882
    and if form holds, we would face UGA in our first game in OKC.
  6. swampgas4412282

swampgas4412282 Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Super Regional between Alabama and Missouri (if seeds hold) should be fun to watch with dogpile controversy. Earleywine (Missouri head jerk) is such a no fun kind of guy. A real a$$.
  7. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    As good of a draw as they could have hoped for to make it to OKC with their anemic offense against teams with a top-notch #1 pitcher.

UF/UGa in OKC probably wouldn't be pretty. Just don't like that matchup for the Gators.
  8. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +482
    Considering the conference season they just had they are very, very lucky to get that type of seed.

To me they are over seeded and most likely won't live up to that type of seed given what they just did during the conference season. And yes I get the tough schedule concept but I think looking at the trend line is also important as well. It is obvious they were given a lot of credit for the strength of schedule which is certainly a good part of the seeding of any sport but you also have to consider what has been against high quality teams the last 3-5 weeks.

We will see. You have a good draw but do you have the mental fortitude to take advantage of it or not. I don't know. The pitching and offense need to be clicking together if they want any chance in moving forward and then they must do well against the better teams with their better pitchers. Seems like a lot to ask unless they get into a good streak.

Whether baseball or softball it seems if you can somehow get into a good groove and streak then you can quickly erase the disappointment of the conference season because ultimately it is about how well you are playing at that moment in time. Because you can have all the talent on the planet and be hitting really well during the regular season but sometimes that does not matter if you come across teams that happen to be playing hot and just happen to be clicking in all facets of the game. How many wild card teams in major league baseball have won the whole thing lately. You get hot at the right time and if you have talent then that might get you through the entire post season.
  9. swampgas4412282

swampgas4412282 Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Our record against the top 25 (15-9) was best in the country, better than any of the top 4 seeds. Our SEC record was the same as Georgia. If we had beaten Georgia in the tournament we would have been the 4 rather than the five. We also beat Oregon in the early season. Let's see how it plays out before being so negative.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494
    Care to break down of those 15 wins, how many were against teams with a true #1 pitcher? How many were against the ranked SEC/Pac 12 teams? Yes, we beat Oregon, but Hawkins didn't enter the game until late. And even in that game we struggled to hit and score (2-1 win in extras with that stupid international tiebreaker rule)
  11. CASontag

CASontag Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    Gator softball is doing well so far in this 1st game against FAMU. Gators are up 7-0 in the 2nd (6 runs in the 1st, 1 run in the 2nd; FAMU over two innings has yet to get a hit and has two errors ). Go Gators! :)
  12. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Gators won by run rule 8-0(5). FAMU is pretty bad. Gourley had a no hitter, but otherwise, it was kind of a lackadaisical performance after the 6-spot in the 1st inning.

They'll face Stetson tomorrow in the winner's bracket - Hatters won the 1st game 6-4(8) over UCF. UCF choked a 4-1 lead in the 7th.

I saw that Stetson's pitcher is #2 nationally in ERA, so it will be interesting to see if the Gator bats show up for that one.
  13. CASontag

CASontag Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    Admittedly I wasn't sure how much to read into UF's game against FAMU. However today's game against Stetson sees UF off to a 7-0 lead in the top of the 5th inning, getting 5 earned runs off of Owen before she was retired. If Owens is the #2 nationally ranked pitcher in ERA, the Gators getting 5 runs off of her and getting her off the mound is a nice sign (I hope). Anyway, hopefully the offense keeps this trend going forward and same for the pitching (which has only given up 3 hits so far in this game with the no-hitter by Gourley yesterday). Go Gators! :)
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,882
    Couple of interesting story lines out of Columbia MO -

They played Kansas in a sanctioned sport for the first time since they left the conference, since KU had refused to play them in anything and MO won.

But the larger storyline is that their ace pitcher Finucane has a bad thumb and is out through super regionals. BAd news for MO, but great news for Alabama because that is their opponent in the SR if they get there.

One other note, I think the only top 8 seed to lose a game is UGA.
  15. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    It sure is strange to see Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri all in the same regional.

Looks like Washington is already through to the supers with 3 run rule victories. With the Gators looking good as well, that's shaping up to be a pretty hyped super regional next weekend (assuming the Gators take care of business tomorrow).
  16. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Routine 7-0 win over UCF to win the regional without giving up a run. Solid complete game from Haeger, and she added a HR (and nearly a 2nd - a potential GS, which was contentiously called foul in 7th).

Looking forward to the SR against Washington next weekend!
  17. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,389
    Rolled through regionals, as expected. Our true test will be Washington. They don't have Danielle Lawery this time!
  18. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +482
    Washington and UF got paired up in very very easy regional play this past weekend. I don't make much of it as to say they did what both teams were supposed to do given their talent.

UF got no resistance and got the benefit in each of the games of many errors that lead to runs. UF made their errors as well which are things that can't happen this week.

Thus I would still have the same concerns going into this weekends matchup that I had before last weekend games.

Can UF win a 1-0 type of game in which the other team does not give them anything in terms of errors. Can UF manufacturer runs on a consistent basis and when given the opportunity of putting a runner on second with no outs and/or have runner on third with no/one out - can they score the run all the time. Can UF get the timely 2 out hit. Can UF play errorless games.

UF did some good things this weekend but they also left many runners on base again. I know in the game yesterday they had runners on third twice with one out and did not score the runs. You can't do that on a consistent basis this weekend because I would guess these will be low scoring in nature.

I don't know. To me those questions are still unknowns.

You get the home field, you get the hot weather, and the other team must travel across the country which are major advantages that are their to be had.

These are games in which UF won't be given any gimme runs and it is an opportunity to move forward to OKC.

The women's lax team learned a hard lesson Saturday that I don't want to see this particular team repeat in the coming days.

When you get home games with an opportunity to move ahead then you need to take advantage of those opportunities.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +835
    Great points....UF left 22 runners on base in the last 2 games alone. It gets lost when you are putting up big numbers, but there were too many unproductive AB's mixed in.
    5 errors on the weekend, Tofft is the real culprit there. She has been a rock for 2 years but a definite funk last couple of weeks from a defensive standpoint. That has to get fixed this week.
    UF needs to keep UW pitcher out in the heat and working...definite climate advantage for the home team.

The shutout weekend was nice, but I still have questions if any of the 3 pitchers can get it done consistently vs quality hitting. I would assume Rogers goes in game one and Haeger in game 2 (assuming Rogers pitches the bulk of game 1). Would limit Gourley to spot duty.

5 SEC teams advanced and 2 more pushed it to an "if necessary game". FSU also advanced, so the strength of the UF schedule is unquestionable
  20. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,389
    I think home field advantage plays a huge part in this. They're traveling from across the country! Plus that heat should help us as well.

Personally, I start Hannah and at the first sign of serious trouble, bring in Lauren. What worries me the most is our offense. We need to be able to manufacture runs. Can't leave 'em stranded!!!!

Go gators!