Wolford

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by sevmonster, Dec 10, 2013.

1. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
  2. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    Not sure why, even given the numbers crunch we're in, we wouldn't offer. He's breaking records and I believe that's not a small school. Yes we have QBs on the roster, but at least 2 of those could be converted to other positions and if they stay they stay.
  3. 32250Gator

32250Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    He's 5'10
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    So's Maty Mauk.
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,536
    Do you think he is the best option we have if we were to offer another QB? Who do you think is going to be moved to another position?
  6. catscradle

catscradle New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Not that I think we'll take another QB in this class (I'm sure whoever comes in at OC will ultimately determine if we take a 2nd), but what are your thoughts on Chase Litton? He seems to be a bit of a headcase, but it looks like he has a high ceiling as far as QB prospects go.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,536
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,536
    Mechanics are all over the place and he needs to add weight. He does have the physical tools to become a good D1 QB.
    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1070751/highlights/111522385?autoplay=1
  9. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    I have no idea, that's your area. I honestly don't follow anyone that we aren't going after. I hadn't heard of any other possibilities and that article def makes him seem like one. Staver could get a look at TE and Mornhinweg could get a look at db? I guess my thought process is that both were reaches bc we needed a qb and didn't have a better option. Staver may have been partly for Ramsey, but I've heard that's not true.

Just seems we have a couple of guys that may not be SEC material stopping us from getting a guy that broke Florida records in a big class. Thoughts?
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,536
    I think high school state are pretty worthless for the most part. Breaking Florida records to me means nothing when I am looking at a prospect.

Mornhinweg cannot play another position at UF. Staver has the arm talent to be a D1 QB I have questions about mechanics and decision making but the talent is there. I personally would have not offered either. Just because you make 2 mistakes doesn't mean you should make a 3rd either. Do you see a 5'10 QB with an average arm as someone that is SEC material?
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    Depends on what system we transition to. In certain types of spreads I could def see him in a Chase Daniel type role.

I also don't think either of the other two could play a different position here. That would be the sensitive way of asking if they really want to stay at UF or maybe look elsewhere.
  12. 85gator

85gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
  13. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    With Murphy a SR & Morningweg...umm...family is well enough off to pay his way if he wants to stay, that leaves only Grier & Staver as legit starting options. Why not develop Wolford...he could be the Rex Grossman to Brock Berlin.

I disagree we are tight on ships. We will see some transfers after Spring and we will be playing short on depth again if we don't make adjustments.
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,536
    why not get a QB they like more then Wolford? Morningweg is on scholarship he is not coming off unless he transfers he earned his scholarship just like everybody else
  16. 85gator

85gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    No...I'm hoping the national recognition and FL records will wake up our coaches to give this kid another look.

I've actually have seen him play about 20 times over the last 4 years..and while he now holds every major passing record in FL history (at a 5A school with little football tradition), his strengths which i know will make him a "high level player" at the D1 level are his intangibles: great leadership, quick, instinctive decision making, composure in the pocket, intelligence (4.0 student), very clutch and he just doesn't quit.

First game of the year...5A Bishop Kenny beat 6A Bartram Trail 47-43 with Wolford throwing the winning TD in the last few seconds for the win...bringing Kenny back from a 40-21 deficit in the second half. (Bartram Trail lost in triple OT to Seffner Armwood in the 6A semis last week). He's done this numerous times in his 4 year career as a starter. Or the playoff game vs Clay a couple of weeks ago where undefeated Kenny lost 74-73. Wolford threw for 539 yds and rushed for 234 yds. He scored 10 TDs (passing and running) and was on the way to an 11th but the clock ran out. This was against Clay County...which then defeated 5A #1 Pensacola Catholic 9-7. Clay does have a defense...they just couldn't stop Wolford. (Clay beat St Pete Lakewood last week and is in the 5A final this week). Look up Clay's coach's comments about Wolford. Wolford and Kenny have also beaten other high classification teams over the years...eg...7A playoff-bound Fletcher. Many other examples.

Ahmad is long gone and wasn't even Kenny's leading receiver his senior year..as Wolford distributed the ball to many other receivers (eg..Mo Tapper, Chuck Wade) and backs.

I'm happy that the Gators have landed Grier...but why not go after Wolford as well? I understand that we don't want to bunch our QBs in one class (Driskel/Brissett)...but i'm telling you this kid is special and would be ideal for an uptempo spread offense. IMO, the QB position is just too important to put all of our eggs in one basket. Look at this year. Our QB (who was not performing so well) gets injured and we have mediocre backups from other states (Murphy, Skyler) who were not highly recruited out of HS and only got offers (I'm guessing here) as Plan B recruits.

Also, I'm not sure where some of you are getting your info (32250 above)...but Wolford is not 5'10. Again, i've seen him play in person many times..and he is at least 6'1".
    • Like Like x 2
  17. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    With 3 starts and two years in the program, Moringweg did not give significant reason that he shouldn't be replaced by a Freshman. There was even talk that Staver was way better, but they didn't want to burn his redshirt. If he wants to be a Gator, then he should pay for it, just like I did.

I don't see another QB the staff likes more than Wolford and this season taught us that depth and development at the position is VERY important.
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,536
    Moringweg was given a 4 year scholarship you dont take it away because you dont like his performance. It is the staff's fault for signing him not his.

How many QB's have you seen on film in the class of 2014 this year?
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,536
    Wolford got his Penn State offer this week that would be a great place for him to go. Bill Obrien might be the best QB coach in the nation. If Woldford commits to them that will be the 2nd Florida QB in the class for Penn State. Micahel Oconner is the first one. If Oconner didnt reclassify into the 2014 class there is a good chace he would have gotten a 2015 QB offer
  20. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +426
    Wolford is going to be a tremendous college QB. Just don't get it. He will be like the kid from Missouri, Mauk. We could do a heck of a lot worse and sure have.He would fight with Grier as a starter. I don't care what number of stars is behind his name. Plus .... it gets some inroads into Jax where we need to dominate. There is going to be a slew full of kids coming out of here in the next few years. Come on coaches look at the big picture .