Witnessing my first losing season as a Gator fan

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by NiftyGator, Nov 17, 2013.

1. NiftyGator

NiftyGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    I wanted to write this whole paragraph on how well we had it in the 90s with the ole ball coach and with the guy that brought Mullen, Tebow and Harvin over here to get us two more. Now, we are going to miss a bowl for the first time in my life time. I'm only 25 and maybe if I was a lot older these losses would have meant far less, but they don't. I guess this is Muschamps 2nd mulligan. I hope hes learning a lot from this year because there are a lot of things he should have done differently even with the injuries. I just hope we can keep the nucleus of our recruiting class and just bury this memory. I believe in Muschamp's defense, but I don't believe in his stubborness and the mediocre offense. We can say its Pease's offensive scheme, but Muschamp brought him in here for whatever reason because he wasn't great any where he has been. We are currently 111th in total offense and yards per play, which is pathedic. What has to give to get this guy out of here? I know a loss to Ga Southern would get the job done. If Muschamp keeps Pease than he wants to get fired.
  2. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +628
    We've had losing seasons before......we survived it. We will this one, too.
  3. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I still have nightmares after having witnessed our 0-5 1916 season. You think this is a bad offense? Try three points all season.
  4. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167
    And welcome to GatorCountry, Nifty! Hope you have a lot of fun on here. You could be my "adopted" grandson on here! :)

Being a Gator over the years has been like riding a roller coaster! You go through times when everything is going up, and that sure is a lot of fun! But at times you may see things going down a little bit, and that's not so much fun. But as a Gator you know things will be headed up again! :)

It's great to be a Florida Gator!
  5. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Never quit on UF. The team needs fans more now than ever.

And to hell with the Noles. I concede nothing.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,500
    Here here

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry because I'm sick of it asking me to download it every time I go to the site.
  7. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    You cannot truely appreciate the good seasons without the contrast of some bad ones. Now some of you will be able to; besides, these experiences should build character & a little humility.

Btw, All of those terrific seasons of the past did not just happen by chance - it took great organization and foresight!
  8. gatorlinns

gatorlinns New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    You should have been around for the 1979 season. 0-10-1. No fans were bitchin' but then there was no (gasp) internet! Imagine that. I think that a season later is when the south endzone expansion took place. Keep on Going, Gators!
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,738
    While I understand the frustration of this season, lets not forget Pease was wanted badly in Alabama as well.
  10. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,826
    So I'll chime in. First off, welcome to the board.

My husband has better perspective on this - sister went to Florida, he was a fan during the 0-10-1 season, was in school in the 80s and 90s, etc. I'm younger and my introduction to Gator football came in Spurrier's first year.

It isn't so much the losses. You have years where you're off. Not every year can have us in a championship game. It's rare to have teams that can do that, and the Gators have had an incredible run. Sometimes by skill, sometimes by luck, usually a mix of both. Our first year as a married couple was 1996, and those fans that were around for that know the kind of luck that it took to get the Gators into that championship game in New Orleans. Everything, and I mean everything, had to fall Florida's way up until the bowl games that afternoon that suddenly turned the Sugar Bowl into the de facto National Championship.

Last night's loss, if there can be such a thing, would fall under the category of "good" loss. No there should never be so-called moral victories, but those kids for the most part didn't quit, played their hearts out, and the errors were mostly on the coaching side of the coin. However, on the heels on the KINDS of losses this team has suffered - losses marred with lack of effort, cheap shots, personal fouls, poor execution, etc, - some of us as fans can't really appreciate the "good" loss type of situation.

As a mom, I have a son who is starting to learn sports. He's been a Gator from the womb. I went in labor the night of the last Gator NC game, had my son the next morning. All he has ever wanted to be is a Gator. He pretend plays he's winning games from behind for the Gators. He wants to play football, baseball, basketball and soccer for the Gators (but that's another conversation of how disappointed he is there's no men's soccer). He even pretend plays that he's doing national signing day and can't understand why some guys have more than one hat when there's a Gator hat on the table.

As a mom, I want him to see the games where the Gators win with class and lose with class. He needs to learn not everyone wins all the time. It's how he handles the losses and the challenges that will make him into what I hope will be a good man in the future. I want him to learn to try his best and even when he's down to continue to fight, continue to play on and try hard, and learn for next time.

Yes, this is a bad season. Yes, it stinks that so many of you are too young to realize how incredibly good you've had it as fans. Even the best programs in the country will falter from time to time. Do fans have a right to be upset? Yes. Absolutely.

But folks need to stop acting like this team hasn't won a game in 2 years or something. We are the Florida Gators, and we will come out of this. Our recruits it seems are sticking it out, and I think they like that fans expect to win, and want results. We talk about this place as a family, as The Gator Nation, and it's time to do some soul searching.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. gatormonk

gatormonk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Count yourself lucky.
  12. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Welcome.

My freshman year was 0-10-1 and now i look back on it with a whimsical smile. The Zook years have taken on that same kind of feeling for me -- that cute stumble when our rivals took pleasure from our situation before Urban showed up and kicked butt.

Someday we will get back to the mountaintop and look back to the Muschamp era with the same feeling, kind of like our grandparents viewed the great Depression. It makes you appreciate the good times that followed.
  13. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Inspiring post, ice queen. As a fan and as a Dad :)

Repped.
  14. Tu_Gator

Tu_Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Best thing I have read on this site in a long time!!!!! To hell with FSU.
  15. EvenParGator

EvenParGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    Thanks Minister and Carlos...in all kinds of weather.
  16. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    Been a fan since 77 when I was in middle school and the group I hated were F$U fans. Strange way to become a fan, but there it is.

UF has been pretty good to me in those years. I've seen some ups and downs. Celebrated with the team at 4 a.m. in the middle of Bourbon Street after the NC win of F$U, sat in the student section at USCe during their "blackout" night when sexy Rexy destroyed them and countless other fond memories (not to mention all the fun that I don't remember, but my friends are eager to remind me about).

But there are some things I will not put up with:

1) "Moral victories". We are UF not some second-rate college trying to the play with the big boys. We are the big boys.

2) Lack of fundamentals. If you can't coach the fundamentals then you can't coach.

3) Lack of discipline. College kids are never going to be angels, but if they can't play without constant, costly penalties or play assignment football then see #2.

4) Unwillingness to adapt to changing situations. Strong will is one thing, mindless stubbornness is another (see Congress).

5) Lack of effort.

It is our duty as fans to support our team with every fiber of beings, but it is also our duty to call out the team (individual coaches and positions for players) out when they don't meet the basic expectations. Otherwise call us groupies not fans. And one game does not make a trend. If we want to enjoy the privileges of being a Gator fan we must also fulfill our duties in an informed, consistent and responsible manner.
  17. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    At least you made a field goal.
  18. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    All losing seasons suck, the next one is never any better than the last one.
  19. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +801
    Yes, yes, blah, blah, 1979.
  20. GatorRider

GatorRider Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49

Lack of effort? Really?