wishful Radical NBA rule change...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    In my opinion most of the NBA regular season is un-watchable. The Eastern Conference has been a joke for most of this year. Atlanta is going to make the playoffs being 8 games under .500. I think this needs to change. If you can't play .500 basketball over an 82 game season, then you don't belong in the playoffs. Keep them out. Give the #1 seed a bye. That would eliminate a crappy series in the playoffs and give more incentive to get the #1 seed which Miami and Indiana don't seem to care about.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. heisenberg

heisenberg Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    I would be fine with that. Or they could simply eliminate conferences altogether and seed them from 1-16. I think it would make for a more competitive format.
  3. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I'd be okay with that too...

1 Spurs vs 16 Bobcats
    2 Thunder vs 15 Wizards
    3 Clippers vs 14 Nets
    4 Pacers vs 13 Suns (not in playoffs as is)
    5 Heat vs 12 Bulls
    6 Rockets vs 11 Raptors
    7 Trailblazers vs 10 Grizzlies
    8 Warriors vs 9 Mavericks

Hawks wouldn't have made the playoffs. Heat would have played harder to avoid playing Bulls in first round.
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569
    not going to happen, a crappy but profitable series in the playoffs is still profitable
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I never understand this argument. Things change in basketball. Teams are crying about the East now but in 5-10 years the East may be the down conference. Yes the West is tougher right now but I don't see a reason to complain if you are a West team because you are fighting for the 8th spot and would have been in the playoffs if you had been in the East. You should have won more games and not had to worry about sweating out a playoff birth. To me it is akin to teams on the bubble of the NCAA tourney complaining. Just win and you don't worry about it.
  6. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I agree with you on the point that you shouldn't say I would have made the playoffs if I was in the other conference, but I can't see any reason why an under .500 Hawks team should earn a playoff spot. It's an 82 game season. Plenty of time to right the ship, like some teams have.
  7. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Totally agree. Plus the current concept of the East playing the West in the finals is one of the most arbitrarily dumb things in all of sports. I guess when you have long playoff series it makes sense for the travel to be a little easier on teams throughout the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds.....but what exactly is the point on having the best team from the East play the best team from the West? Why does that decide a champion?

Same thing in the NFL. Why does it have to be the AFC winner vs the NFC winner? So arbitrary. It made sense and was a very compelling matchup when it was the NFL champion vs the AFL champion because they were such separate leagues. You had the old establishment of the NFL going up against the come-lately AFL and you really wanted to see which league had the best team. So it kind of made sense for the best to "emerge" from each side and face each other. Now its really stupid. The AFC and the NFC are the exact same entity, basically. The fact that we could never see the Colts and the Patriots in the SuperBowl was dumb, or the Cowboys vs 49ers in the 90's, etc.

At least in baseball it makes some sense as the leagues are different, have different rules, build their rosters slightly different and just play a slightly different overall style. It was better of course when they never played each other in the regular season and had more of a rivalry (like in the all-star game).

Of course the NHL is just like the NBA. I think the NHL instead of East vs West should be American team vs Canadian team. I know there are balance issues with that but it sounds much more compelling doesn't it?

If you're the NBA or NFL, just seed the teams like the NCAA tournament.
  8. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    Every major sport in the US does it that way so I wouldn't call it arbitrary.

NHL- Eastern and Western
    NFL- NFC vs AFC
    MLB- National vs American
    MLS- Eastern vs Western
    NBA- Eastern vs Western

So in essence you are saying every major league sport in the US is doing it wrong...
  9. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    For basketball, it was done to cut down on travel. Now that they all have luxury jets to move them around, there's no need for that anymore.

The best solution is for every team to play 58 games: a home and home against every other team. All teams are seeded and the top 16 go to the playoffs.

I don't think the regular season is unwatchable. though. Far from it. There hasn't been this much talent in the league in ages and you can watch every game if you want. It's much better basketball than you see in college.
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I've said this before (and it will never happen int he US) but by far the most "fair" way to play a season is the way european soccer does it. Each team plays a home and away with each other team. 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss. The team with the most points at the end of the season is the winner. It doesn't have the playoff feel but it also doesn't reward a team for getting hot at the end (like UK this year) but instead rewards the team that plays best over a long season (like UF). European soccer supplements the regular season with tournaments like the UCL that are elimination tournaments like a true "playoff".
  11. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I agree accept the in the NBA playoffs, the best team almost always wins. The lowest seed ever was 6th seeded Rockets, but that team won the title again next year too, so it was no fluke. They just gelled at the right time. of the 66 championships, 64 were won by seeds 1-3. 47 by a 1, 10 by a 2 and 7 by a 3.

I except the regular season to get cut down soon. Too many players getting burned out.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    Yeah, certainly the format of 7 games make it much less likely a fluke team goes off as compared to a one and done format like the NFL.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Plus the high number of possessions also reduces variance and lets talent rise to the top. I prefer to watch greatness and not random number generators.
  14. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Uh yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. Its my whole point actually.

Just because every league does it that way doesn't mean that it's somehow "right" and not arbitrary.

Its arbitrary to say, for example in the NFL, these set of teams are in the AFC and these are in the NFC and the winner of each will play each other in the title. Has no meaning whatsoever so why not just make it a free-for-all like the NCAA tournament or the world cup or something. That way you don't wind up in a situation where one side is so much stronger than each other and the NFC title game (for example) becomes the defacto championship game then the winner goes up against some scrub AFC team in an anti-climactic final.

MLB makes sense because the AL and NL are entirely different leagues with different rules even, so it makes sense for each of them to "weed out" their best teams and pit them against each other. The rest on your list make no sense.

Here's how I would make it interesting:

MLB - AL vs NL
    NFL - seed the teams like the NCAA tourney
    NHL - USA vs Canada final (could even make the players from those countries play for a team in their country)
    NBA - all black team vs all white team :eek:
  15. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    I will see your "the regular season is unwatchable" and raise it to "the NBA is unwatchable until the Finals". I like your idea on resolving the below .500 teams. I think the NBA season is too long (MLB also) and should be shortened but there's no way owners will do that.

As for the East vs West Finals, that's driven by TV revenue and the wider the potential audience, the bigger the money.
  16. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I guess you guys just don't like basketball. The best of it is played in the NBA. There will be some great series before the finals. Clippers-Warriors is going to be a run and gun shootout that may not feature a team scoring less than 100 in any game.

Dallas-SA is the two best coaches in the game going at it. Houston-Portland is another crazy offense series. Nets-Raptors shoudl be good since both are playing well lately. The east won't get good until the 2nd round, though.

Potential 2nd round matchups that will be awesome: Thunder-Clippers, SA-Houston, Nets-Heat, and Bulls-Pacers. Pacers have been reeling lately and Bulls have a shot to knock them off with Noah.

If you don't like that, then what do you like? Games played below the rim? Lots of hacking, grabbing, and getting in the way masquerading as defense? Guys missing wide open jumpers?

Is it the players that you don't like? All the divas and trouble makers are gone. The superstars are the most likable bunch in ages and there's more talent right now than there has been in over 30 years.
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,358
    But does the 1-16 concept REALLY help? I used to like that plan too...but..I mean how bad would a spurs bobcats series be? Pretty bad I assume.

And I think 15 of the current 16 still would have made it.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,358
    One rule change that I heard Mike Greenberg talking about was possibly rewarding teams who try not to have the worst record by giving the most ping-pong balls to the lottery team with the BEST record. Thus an end to the tanking of games. THIS would make even games between lottery teams late in the season important...thus making a better regular season.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Yes, but presumably seeding 1-16 would come along with a balanced schedule as well. Phoenix is one of the best teams to be left out in a while, but Minnesota, Denver, and may even NO make it they played in the East since they'd be stomping on the patsies over there. NO was .500 against the East and both Denver and Minnesota were significantly above that.
  20. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925