Wisconsin Gov. Walker defies order to close federally-funded parks

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Oct 5, 2013.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,048
    There's probably some grandstanding but so what? The parks stay open for people to enjoy and a point is made, the people win and Washington looks dumb. I am all for that.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,037
    This doesn't make sense. You wrote federal funding in the thread title and then it is referred to in the link. Of course federal funds are at stake here. You can't have it both ways which is what you seem to want to do.
  3. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +273
    They will not receive federal money during the close down The state will make up the small difference Since the state will lose money if they shut down it will more likely turn out to be a break even deal with income coming in with the parks open versus what they will lose if the parks are closed
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,449
    Maybe not ...

link
  5. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +273
    Sounds more like they dont want to buck Gov Walker and are looking for a way out. If this is so why not let all parks reopen under state run control such as Mt Rushmore and Grand Canyon Both of these the states have offered to pick up the full tab for the operation of these sites. obama has got his butt in a crack over this and is trying to save some face.

"PHOENIX (AP) -- U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake can't understand why federal authorities have refused Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's offer to use state money to keep the Grand Canyon open during the government shutdown.

Several businesses have made similar pledges, but they've been rejected by the National Park Service.

A park official says as long as the federal government remains shut down, such a plan isn't an option.

http://www.azfamily.com/outbound-fe...derstand-Grand-Canyon-shutdown-226548581.html
  6. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,449
    either that or the feds never asked him to close them in the first place.
  7. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +273

My point is why would they not order Walker to close parks etc but will let them operate them on there own but will not let other states have the same option?

Is it because Gov Walker is the only one to buck them
  8. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,037
    Where are you getting this? Don't see it in the link.
  9. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +273
    Nobody will whats new
  10. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,449
    come on. you don't have a clue if the feds really ordered them closed or if the state misunderstood.
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,037
    Which goes right back to my original point about this particular part.
  12. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +273
    The part about being able to operate but with out fed funds came from the link above

"Mike Litterst, acting chief spokesman for the National Parks Service, wrote in the email. "Due to the government shutdown, there was no longer funding available with which to make grant payments to the DNR and on October 1 notice was given to them to suspend performance of all activities funded by that agreement. There was no directive from the National Park Service to cease operations; we merely informed them that the payments through their cooperative agreement would cease for the period of the shutdown. It was left to the discretion of the DNR how to best deal with the curtailed funding."

According to Litterst, the National Parks Service was reaching out to the Department of Natural Resources, to "see if we can help clarify."

So my question is if they can continue to operate with there own funds why cannot other states operate with their own funds as some have offered to do but the fed government said no

If Gov Walker were to shut the places down the state would lose money by them being closed so why not keep them and maybe worst break even
  13. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,037
    And my response to this is why do they need the funds to start with if they can operate in this manner? Why not disassociate these parks entirely from the feds if they really don't want federal influence. Or in other words I don't quite buy what he is saying.
  14. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Yep, it was miraculous that he got 52% with Doofus, the media and the Millions pumped in by out of state unions. He didn't have to give food stamps to 50 M nor have I heard of Obama phones. I also didn't see where people face a fine if they don't go to the state park?
  15. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    River, the manifesto requires as much "pain as possible" for the folks to get the point across. I'm sure we don't "have a clue" if Obama personally ordered white house tours to close during sequestration. But it was a highly visible potentially politically opportune moment that backfired on Doofus. I suspect this was similar. And it backfired.

Walker took the below approach.

"He was the one who really directed me to find a way to make this work," Stepp said. "He was the one that said, 'Look, what are we going to do about this? And how do we make as little pain as possible on our constituents?' That's our job."

Does anyone believe Doofus has taken this approach on anything the man has done?
  16. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,037
    What is the purpose in using names in almost every post you make? It really does not add to the conversation around here and to be quite frank it makes Gator fans look a bit immature.
  17. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Doofus is an adjective for Obama that seemed appropriate after the month of September. Actually it was appropriate way before 2013. W was called much worse.
  18. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,037
    I know what Bush was called. Still doesn't lessen what you do.
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    No, defying an illegal attempt by our POTUS to shut down a state run park, just to make more people needlessly suffer, is the "solution" to keep the Federal Government from bullying states and states' rights.
  20. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    I'll order you a bright orange "crossing guard" vest (also usable for hunting) so you can continue on "name" Patrol. :joecool:And to throw you a bone, I will start calling him President Doofus. When President Doofus begins acting presidential again, I will address him by his name. Until then, he deserves the nation's contempt. He's embarrassing. Very similar to Jimmy Carter.

Jimmy continues to smile and had his teeth whitened.