Wisconsin Gov. Walker defies order to close federally-funded parks

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Oct 5, 2013.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    What's wrong with it is he is using state money to make up the shortfall. That is unless he is getting it from somewhere else. Your post is a prime example of what I wrote earlier. This is not about keeping state parks open it is about opposing anything that Obama does. Poor way to run the country and a state. Doesn't matter what part controls the WH.

Basically many of you are blinded by your own hatred.
  2. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    Might want to take a look back at your own posts.
  3. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    So, you think the residents of Wisconsin have a problem with using state funds to keep their parks open? I'm just asking. If I were in Wisconsin and wanted to boat, fish or hike, I think I would be supportive.

I'm in Maine for another week and the state parks are open here too. It is a Pub governor who told Obama to kiss his ass. We live right across the lake from a state park and one of the most popular mountain hikes in the state and those hikers are likely glad he kept the parks open. I can see them up there now. I would guess the residents of Wisconsin feel the same way.
  4. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    Several misconceptions here.

I was only a union/association member for the first couple of years I taught. Quit at around year 3. I had some deep differences with them on several important issues.

My support you've witness here is in defense of hard working teachers against the attacks from conservatives. Teachers are fighting against some powerful and wealthy organizations....Jeb Bush, Koch brothers and their organizations, Chamber of Commerce and govs like Walker, Scott and Perry....just to name a few.

Walker has a long track record of setting the needs of his constituents aside for the deep pockets of donors such as the Koch brothers and big mining.

His behavior here is simply grandstanding......his environmental record speaks to that.
  5. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    I don't know. Do you think he bothered to ask them or just went out on his own because it was in direct opposition to Obama?

I'll try once again. I don't think this is about keeping parks open so much as it is one more Rep wanting to do something to appeal to a certain portion of the voters.

Many people are getting tired of all of the grandstanding by both parties and they are only going to get more so as time passes by. Which of the parties suffers the most is yet to be seen but I still believe the GOP is playing a game that could cause them serious harm in the long run.
  6. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +499
    The way I understand this article is that obama wanted them to close state parks and parks that the state was operating already at state cost. So keeping these places open is not costing the fed government anything
  7. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +499
    Why does obama want to close state run parks that are operated by the state at state expense? Grandstanding nothing else
  8. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +499
    "We respect the magnitude of the process the federal government has had to undertake to close its properties and certain activities on properties they own and manage," Cathy Stepp, secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, told agency employees in an email obtained by The Hill.

"However, after close review and legal consult, [the Department of Natural Resources] has clarified areas where the federal procedures are over-reaching by ordering the closure of properties where the state has management authority through existing agreements."

There is no short fall the state was operating them to begin with
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    So you think my liberalism blocks my ability to reason huh?:grin:
  10. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    Maybe it is because that is the way things are set up when the government goes into shutdown. Perhaps it is due to rules already in place before he became POTUS. While parks being closed suck for those who had plans to visit it is a good ways from being our biggest problems. If you think it is grandstanding on his part do a bit of research into who started using these closings as political fodder.
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    Your missing something here. The money is being used. If they were getting federal funds before and are not now then it matters little whether they already had them they are still being spent. If the feds don't make funds retroactive when the shutdown ends that is the time they will start feeling the impact.
  12. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    I sure do. You Obama worshiper. :grin:
  13. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Not sure what you've been smoking but saying Jeb Bush, the C of C and the other governors you mentioned are fighting against teachers? Are you kidding? You can't be serious?

If they are fighting for anything, it is for kids. Teachers are no different than any profession. About 20% are excellent, 60% average to below average and 20% suck.

Duval county schools are horrible. 1500 teachers are Edward Waters College graduates and half of those probably couldn't pass a literacy test. EWC is in Corrine Brown's district, if that says something.
  14. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    As Hillary Clinton said: What difference does it make? The parks are open for the residents of Wisconsin. Their governor gets results. Who would be opposed to that in Wisconsin besides the DNC hacks that reside there?
  15. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    Did you read the education agenda items by the Chamber of Commerce for the FL legislature and Rick Scott? Jeb Bush has recently taken a big hit politically because his A+ plan has proven a failure for the kids of FL. It's all with the goal of educational privatization. Have you ever checked to see how many R FL legislature members have financial ties to private educational corporations?

Google or bing some of this.....it's an eye opening read.
  16. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    Since Scott only got 52% of the vote last election it is highly doubtful all of the citizens of Wis. are in agreement with what he is doing.
  17. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +499
    well the same can be said of obama as he only beat Romney 50.4% to 48.1%

If we include Florida, Obama appears to have won 332 electoral votes to Romney’s 206. In the popular vote, the latest numbers suggest an Obama victory of 50.4 percent to Romney’s 48.1. This is not recount territory. Measured by the standards of the 20th century, though, it reflects a genuinely tight race.

so its safe to assume that not all people approve of obama

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...1/how_close_was_this_election_very_close.html
  18. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +499

With nearly all precincts reporting, Walker had 53 percent of the vote, compared with 46 percent for Barrett. The margin of victory was wider than many expected and slightly better than Walker's 5.8 percentage-point victory over Barrett in the 2010 race. Some 2.5 million voters cast their ballots.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...wisconsin-voter-turnout-reported-heavy/:grin:
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    Of course it is a safe assumption. No politician is going to garner anywhere near 100% of the people. My point was that Walker (wrote Scott before by accident) does not have the support of all of the people in what he is doing.
  20. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +499

you are the one missing something it is not federal money being used it is state money that was already being used