Wireless HD Transmission - Any experience?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by SailinGator, Jul 17, 2012.

1. SailinGator

SailinGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    So I'm finally about to invest in some sweet new gear for my soon-to-be music/media room! While I'm psyched about getting a great new 1080p/Smart TV for the wall, I'm a bit stumped as to how to connect all my other gear. I've read about wireless HD transmitter/receiver units - do these actually work? My equipment list is as follows:

Wii
    DVD
    a few iPads

I know about the Apple TV devices that allow you to stream from iPads using AirPlay. But how do I connect the Wii and DVD? Is there a single device I can plug into, and that streams the content to the TV? If it helps, the stream won't be going more than 10 feet.

Thanks!!
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,523
    Huh? All of your gear should plug directly into the television.

Wii will connect via component cables
    DVD will connect similarly or more likely through HDMI
    iPad ... I'm not sure why you'll be plugging an iPad into your television, but it can be done numerous ways.

Apple TV will work (as will a bunch of other home options).

If you, for whatever reason, just want ONE device that plugs into the television, you want a receiver. There are thousands of those ranging from ~ $100 to thousands.
  3. SailinGator

Ratings Received:
    +12
    OBOB I thought it was clear I was talking about wireless HD transmission to a wall mounted TV, but perhaps not. I know how to connect all of that stuff directly - what I'm looking for is a central device that I can plug all gear into and have that device stream wirelessly to the TV. I don't want to have a bunch of cords running down my wall, nor do I want to run cables through the wall to a box. Make sense? Any experience with that?
  4. SailinGator

Ratings Received:
    +12
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,523
    Just making sure.

I'm not sure I understand the benefit. I'd much rather worry about the minor issue of cable management than dealing with (as I understand it) shoddy HDWMI transmission performance.
  6. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +197
    I know there are several devices out there that enable you to have wireless connection between sources.

Frankly, though, as obob says, if the dvd and wii are sitting next to the tv, it probably isn't worth the cost.

I am not an apple guy (although we do have an ipad and wife has an iphone), but routinely stream from my computers to my ps3 through my home wireless network. I don't know if the wii has that capability. However, your new tv might be able to connect to your home network.

If the main concern is the ipads, then air is the best bet.
  7. SailinGator

Ratings Received:
    +12
    So far from my research the Peerless unit (Amazon link above) is the best device for the money on the market. The performance and range are both extremely good, although 1080p transmission is limited to 60 fps. That said, I get the point - does the cost really justify the benefit?

In my case, it might be. With a Wii that uses component cables, plus the HD DVD I'll be adding, as well as the Windows Media Server I'd like to incorporate, that is an awful lot of cables to be hanging on the wall. I don't have an A/V receiver that I can patch all this stuff into and use a single HDMI to TV. Maybe that would be a better purchase than the Peerless unit.
  8. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +197
    Now I understand, you are running wires down the front of the wall.

And actually, that Peerless product seems nice. So, I read the reviews and noted a few things. First, It appears that the device does not transmit 5.1 sound. I don't know your setup, but that would be a deal killer for me. Second, the signal is compressed (duh) and there is some loss because of it, although not a lot. The closer to your tv, the more you will notice it. Third, some latency potentially with gaming - since you have a wii it is unlikely you are playing fps games online so this shouldn't matter.

A couple thoughts:

1. I'd look at what you have as far as an a/v receiver and speakers. Personally, that is where I'd spend my money first. Upgrading to an HDMI capable receiver would be a good step, particularly if you have an old AV receiver. Sound is very important to me.

2. Does your wii have wifi? I have a ps3 and use my home wireless network to access the media server. Works like a charm.

3. I'm not sure whether 60fps is a limiting step for anything for you or not. I'm pretty sure even blurays are at 60fps. Maybe some wii hd games?

4. Running the wires inside the wall can be done fairly easily in most cases depending on the wall and location of the tv. Obviously, if you rent that might be a problem. And in some cases, running the wires can be a royal pain.

Good luck whichever way you go.
  9. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    I totally realize this is not answering your question, but you should spend your $ on a decent receiver... sounds like you have a lot of components to hook up. That way you only have 1 cable going to the TV, plus way better options for audio... IMHO the only place for wireless in the home theater is for speakers (and still even better to hook up with cable). Get your HDMI snaked through your wall professionally, this will be the only cable you need to connect from the receiver to the wall mounted TV... no more toggling through tons of video inputs for all your devices, etc.