1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Windows XP

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Sep 18, 2013.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    Microsoft will stop servicing Windows XP in April, 2014. For how long after that do you think XP will still function satisfactorily? I assume it will still be protected through whatever antivirus program is on the computer (I have Norton).

I would rather stick with Windows XP to the bitter end rather than go out and buy a new computer with Windows 8 and whatever monstrosity comes next.
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,062
    Among other things, you just basically won't be protected from new vulnerabilities that may pop up from time to time. Even virus protection won't be enough when MS isn't patching new vulnerabilities. With that said, XP will still work fine.

Why don't you check out Fedora 19 or some other Linux OS?
  3. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    I'm afraid I'm too much of a computer illiterate to get into other systems.

Why can't we expect that buying a new computer with a pre-installed system would be buying a system that is suitable for a PC and not someone's smart phone?
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,134
    If your computer will support it and it is still working satisfactorily why not consider purchasing Windows 7 and installing that on the machine.
  5. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,062
    This is an option as well, if you have XP Pro, you can upgrade to Windows 7 and I think its cheaper than buying the whole OS from a store.

My only concern is what type of hardware he has. The minimum requirements for XP are lower than 7 so if he has a lower end processor and not enough ram, I wouldn't recommend that.

I'd assume the processor should be fine but do you know how much ram your system has installed coco?
  6. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,062
    You can always download VMWare Player and download the Fedora 19 ISO and give it a test drive in a virtual environment where if you mess up, don't like it or anything else that happens, you can just delete it and nothing has changed on your system. If you do like it, you can burn the ISO to a disk and replace XP or try a dual boot as OBOB mentioned on another thread.

I know that this all sounds like a lot of work and it seems hard, but its honestly very easy. If you're willing to give it a try I'm willing to walk you through it. Just let me know.
  7. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,134
    I would think a minimum of a gig of ram and that is not really what you want. I have installed 7 on several computers which had only a gig and they would run it. As you say it is dependent on the system but if he can upgrade his ram it shouldn't cost much.
  8. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    Dell Dimension 4600 Series, Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 3.2 GHz

And whatever these mean:

512MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
    80GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive
  9. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,062
    Everything is ok besides the ram (512MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz). Microsoft requires 1gb as a minimum but I would go with no less than 2gb. Ram is cheap and easy to replace. If you are interested in upgrading to Windows 7, I would buy this ram and install it yourself (really, really easy to do).

Go here and download the Windows Update Advisor. After you run it the program will tell you what you need to do to upgrade or if its even possible.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab02
    • Like Like x 1
  10. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    Thanks, that's what I may do when it gets closer to the time that Windows XP will no longer be serviced.

Of course by then I will likely have broken down and bought a new computer.

If I buy a computer with Windows 8, is it possible to then "downgrade" to Windows 7?

Having never used Windows 7, I actually don't know how better it is than Windows 8. It might be more practical to learn to live with Windows 8, as most people by necessity seem to do.
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,134
    You can replace 8 with 7. I don't really see it as a downgrade as much as a preference. But if you get one with 8 you may learn to like it OK. That's what I am using now and while I still am not crazy about it I don't really hate it or anything.
  12. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,134
    Another thing is you might want to consider upping your ram anyway. Should help your performance some and as 0607 said it's inexpensive and easy to replace.
  13. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,062
    You don't have to convert to Windows 8. Really the only major difference is the Metro/App philosophy.

The only way you can downgrade from Windows 8 to 7 is if you have Windows 8 Pro but you could simply buy a computer that has Windows 7 on it. When you're ready to ditch XP, you can easily find a cheap refurbished PC that still has 7.

If you just want to jump into Windows 8 you can always download a third party program that brings back the start menu for an easier transition.

FWIW, Windows 7 is a little different than XP but you won't have that big of a learning curve. Windows XP to 7 were all basically the same. The only thing that really changed was a few file locations were moved and their names were changed but basically its the same windows but optimized with more/better programs and better security.

Also, Windows 7 will be fully supported until April 2015 and MS offers extended support after that until 2020. The extended support will provide sufficient security updates but other updates/hotfixes will not be automatic. Apparently you can find them yourself or pay MS a subscription fee and they will continue your full support (I believe).
  14. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    I don't want any short-term stuff. If I get Windows 8 and learn to live with it, it will hopefully be supported by MS for as long as I'm able to continue using a computer.

I'm hoping to make it to 2025, when some more JFK files are supposed to be released.
  15. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,062
    Windows 8 will get you to 2018 for full support and 2023 for extended. Although, Im assuming since 8.1 was released those numbers will change.
  16. panamacitygator

panamacitygator Ticket Swap Moderator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    Windows 8 is just about the same as Windows 7 just use the classic view instead of the tiles. My desktop and laptop are 7 and my tablet is 8. Virtually the same OS.

You can pick a 7 or 8 machine for about 400.00 and you're good to go.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    You seem way to invested in technology to stick with the same OS for 12 years :wink:
  18. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,134
    No offense to coco but based on how long it has taken him to make up his mind about a new computer it really doesn't surprise me. :laugh:
  19. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    I probably would have bought the Inspiron at Staples the other day, if someone had waited on me. But I was so dumbfounded by trying to do something as simple as using Internet Explorer that it's a good thing I didn't buy it then. Get rational explanations of something before acting.
  20. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,134
    Hope you know I was just kidding around. Don't blame you for taking your time if you can.