Windows 8.1 Preview is here

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by gatorchamps0607, Aug 30, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
  2. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
    I just installed it on a VM and let me just say, Microsoft wont win many new customers with it.

They said the start screen was back, but its just the metro screen that says "Start" on it. They say you can customize it like the start menu but its BS. You could customize the Metro screen so Microsoft is basically trying to pull one over on their customers. Acting like were stupid enough to believe this is any different than metro.

You can upgrade for free I believe but I wouldnt go out and buy it.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    No offense but bringing back just the start button is exactly as it has been advertised for months.
  4. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
    No offense but if you think the only thing different was the start screen, you weren't paying attention.

Sure, the big news was bringing start back because thats the biggest complaint with Win8. There are a ton of new features but the problem is, most normal users wont use them. So to the typical user, this wont add any new reason to get it.
  5. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I've fully embraced my windows 8 after months of thinking I hated it. I'll wait for my free upgrade when the full version has been out for a while.

Sent from my mind using ESP
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    It mostly is, though, at least in terms of UX and aesthetics. Metro tiles replaced the start menu. People wanted to see the start button back. That's what Microsoft did.

The rest - the non-Metro stuff - is essentially Windows 7.
  7. SurfinG8or

SurfinG8or Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +389
    I'm sticking with Windows 7 Professional. Just ordered it last night for my new computer. I got to use my inlaws computer with 8 on it and I couldn't stand it. I'm sure if I used it for a couple months and got familiar with it I could manage, but everything I've heard has lead me right back to Windows 7.
  8. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
    Windows 8 is great for tablets and maybe even smart phones (although I stick to android) but for a desktop PC, especially one that doesn't feature a touchscreen, its a complete waste of time.

I wish they just scrapped that whole steaming pile of crap (Win8) and just added some of the new features to Win7. I really do love the optimized search in Win8 and the Hyper V. Im sure there are a few things I'm missing that I would like but nothing is enough to make me completely get rid of 7.

Im actually starting to test more and more Linux distros for convenience and money reasons. However, I will keep Windows around because some open source (free) software for Linux just doesn't cut it. Sure, Linux and the Open source community can debug and update their software faster than proprietary, but they simply don't have the resources to make their open source software (especially when we are talking millions and millions of lines of code) up to par with the level of paid software.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    As a person with Linux, Windows and Mac sitting on my desk, the notion that open source is largely relegated to Linux distros is confusing. 90% of the software I use - cross platform - is open source.

Next, you're complaining that they should have just added some new features to Windows 7. Well, that's essentially what they did. Other than the Start Menu modification the OS is largely the same.

Beyond the start menu (which actually has quite a few convenient features absent in the traditional start menu), it looks and works exactly the same as Windows 7, assuming you're not using any Metro apps.
  10. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
    Wow, "largely relegated to linux' where did you read that?

Seems like you're arguing just to argue and not bringing up any valid points, which seems to be your mantra.
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    My valid point was pretty clear: Windows 8 *IS* Windows 7 with the Metro start bar.
  12. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
    Again, you are acting like Windows 8 doesn't have other features which says you're either being argumentative just for the hell of it or you simply haven't really used or looked for information about Windows 8.

From a business perspective, it would be completely idiotic to simply slap on a metro screen to 7 as you suggest.

The changes they did make could have simply been an update similar to what Win 8.1 is to W8. If microsoft really wanted to push this metro idea, they should have marketed it for touch screen laptops and mobile devices.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I've been using Windows 8 since beta. Let me know which ones other than Metro are significant impediments versus Windows 7.

What does this even mean?

This is a really superficial way of looking at it. It's functionally a start button with a veneer that lends itself to touch interfaces. It causes no slowdown, it has no UX detriments. When you click it you get the programs that you want to see there.
  14. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
    Optimized search, new lock screen, new task manager, better dual monitor support, optimized windows explorer, Hyper V, apps, (forgive the ignorance) but that little search and setting thing on the right side of Win8 when you mouse over.

You're the one claiming Windows 8 is just windows 7 with a metro screen.

Windows 8 didn't work for PCs, almost nobody likes it, this cannot be debated.

I'm just saying (in hind sight, I guess) Windows 8 should have been reduced to tablets, netbooks and smartphones and they should have updated Windows 7 with some of the new features they put in Win8.
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Um, you'll note that I asked for "impediments," not changes.

Functionally, it is. There are minor UX tweaks here and there, but once you're in Windows it's the same thing.

It works just fine for this PC. A lot of the problem was that of marketing.

If there was any issue it was not rolling this out slowly. People are naturally adverse to change, and that was on full display here.
  16. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
    I don't mean it literally doesn't work, I meant people do not like it on PCs.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    People also reacted negatively to Windows 7 on its release. It's outselling Windows 7 at its initial pace, too.
  18. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
    Sorry, I missed that part. While I'm not one to be that attached to the start screen (although there is something to be said about the nostalgia of it, I dont know why) but that is the biggest down fall. A lot of people depend on it for whatever reason, and you cant expect non-techies to relearn something.

I found that their apps and other programs dont play well with high res monitors.

Unless something changed, you can only download microsoft approved apps.

I'm sure there are others but the metro screen is a big deal, not just to me and you can't really just dismiss it and act like people should deal with it (how Microsoft of you).

With that said, I really think Microsoft had a lot of good ideas in Win 7 but failed when they forced us to use the metro. I still contend that they could have easily made an updated Win7 and force their metro screen on mobile devices.
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    So your problem isn't even with the Metro start replacement but that people need to relearn stuff. Wasn't that the same when Windows 95 was released? Seems people figured it out.

I haven't noticed this. But at the same time, I literally use 0 Metro apps. I use Windows 8 the way I used Windows 7.

From their Store, sure. But you can download and install any application you want outside of that. This isn't much different than Aptitude for Ubuntu or the Apple store for Mac.

There's nothing to "deal" with really. As you said, you just relearn it. Just like people need to relearn something with every OS update.
  20. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,801
    What are these numbers based on? Windows 7 is still holding strong on market share, last time I checked. Also, does this count license for Windows 8 on tablets? Smart phones? Windows 7 doesn't really have that luxury, assuming the numbers aren't adjusted for that already.