Wind Turbines kill 600,000 bats in 2012????

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Nov 9, 2013.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +582
    My local media is on this. Today the state's largest newspaper says NJ needs to buy more land for "open space." Hacks everywhere in the media.
  2. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +632
    Bats are ugly and scary. 600,000 a year is a good start.
  3. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,763
    actually, I like bats.
  4. Bushmaster

Ratings Received:
    +632
    I like Batman.
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,312
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,414
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +534
    If Bird deaths are a major concern for you, you must be very opposed to the burning of fossil fuels.

The following paper finds that fossil fuels kill about 13x more birds per gigawatt-hour of electricity than wind turbines.

http://ideas.repec.org/a/eee/enepol/v37y2009i6p2241-2248.html
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,323
    I happen to know quite a bit about how hospitals work... And they do have backup power generators. They have Normal power, Life safety, Emergency power and Critical power panels. The generators are not designed to juice-up all of those varieties...
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +566
    I bet none of you concerned types have installed a bat house
    on your property like I.

If you worry about coal, you better stop the expansion of natural gas as jt is cheaper and cleaner.
    it is the product kicking coals ass.

The Altamont Pass site was a dumb location and this is where the problem with eagles is worst. You don't drill in Anwar due to nesting issues, and you don't site in eagle nesting regions like the Pass.

Here are your numbers. 20,000 avian deaths from wind towers. 330,000 deaths from nuke plants, and 14 million from fossil fuel plants.

Coal is still the worst energy source of all, killing 15,000 humans a year in America alone.

China had 300,000 coal deaths in one year from their massive building of coal plants without any rules to force them to use scrubbers on their stacks.

Forbes article here, with my stats on human deaths...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/06/10/energys-deathprint-a-price-always-paid/
  10. Bushmaster

Ratings Received:
    +632
  11. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,763
    i think we all know the issue isn't their concern for bats. it's an attempt to blast liberals and alternative energy. that's all.
  12. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,323
    That is so completely refutable... and it's more likely conjecture. Also those eagles I was referring to didn't die from chemicals, they died of blunt trauma caused by the spinning turbine blades, much of which is caught on video.
  13. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +566
    Rick

Did you read the Forbes link on human deaths, or is your only concern wind power and birds.

How many coal miners die underground. How many oil workers die at refinery fires or on drilling rigs. How many people die from air pollution from coal burning.

Eagles fly while looking downward. They will fly into a stationary object just like a spinning object due to not looking ahead. It was dumb to site the wind farm in the Pass, but it is even dumber to kill humans in an effort to limit green energy.

Hydroelectric dams are green energy but kill fish. Do you want them to take down the Hoover dam also.

If you don't understand the need for waterless energy systems, while some of our states are too dry...

Meanwhile, Floridians in the Panhandle have good paying jobs building wind energy systems. And without any use of fuel or water, we make energy that OPEC can't boycott away from us. The installation of wind power will continue as it has the least amount of harm than most all other source.

If you had read my link from Forbes you would have seen the words wind energy and nuke kills the fewest humans...
  14. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,323
    :ninja:

If we use this same "logic" with cars, liquor and several other freedoms we all enjoy we'd be living in tents like refugees from freedom and liberty.

Your assertions are just way too broad to live in a way that allows us to feel free. How many people die from pot/drugs directly and indirectly each year? We can play this blame (everything) game all day long, but it still wont keep the Eagles from getting bludgoened to death by these loud obnoxious wind turbine blades each and every year.
  15. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +566
    So you continue to skip the human deaths from energy part of the discussion. Others headed for the hills when they saw the truth. Not you as your concern for eagles is touching.

I doubt you even care half as much as I about eagles, so stop acting like you do.

By the way, the new wind machines and blades aren't loud or the birds would hear them.

So you don't mind if humans die, as long as an eagle isn't harmed also. The discussion is energy systems and deaths. Not who got killed by drugs. Even you should know how lame that was.
  16. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,323
    But they eat untold tons of insects each and every night... That has to be good, don't you think?
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +534
    Even those that have tried ended up with estimates much lower than fossil fuels.

Is there something worse about being killed by blunt trauma than being poisoned by chemicals?
  18. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +582
    Yes, only liberals have the power to read minds and judge other people's motives. All conservatives on the other hand are obviously racists if they do the same to Obama.
  19. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Not on my property but I did help refurbish the Mother-of-all-Bathouses……. at Lake Alice. A buddy who started building bathhouses on the side started getting contacted by people wanting them including re-doing the one at Lake Alice. You would not believe how many full sheets of plywood went into that thing. A few years later, it collapsed probably because all the sheets we put in were too heavy for the cross members. It was a memorable day. The guano under that thing was 2 feet deep and the ammonia vapors burned our noses and throats.
  20. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,414
    Could have used it to make gunpowder.