Wilt Chamberlain

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ThePlayer, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
  2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    That is probably just some random kid standing on a chair...

[​IMG]
  3. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    From the link.
    Looks, to me, like the girl in question is sitting down.
  4. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Wilt was 275 and skinny when he discovered beach volleyball on Venice Beach, California sometime around 1964. Venice is known as "Muscle Beach" and Wilt got embarrassed when some of the volleyball players could bench press more than he could. So, he got into weight lifting and transformed himself into a scary human being. Wilt was 7-2-1/2, 325 pounds the last 7-8 years of his career.

I saw him break a rim in half -- not shatter the backboard, which is easier than you think -- on a dunk over Bill Russell once.
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I don't see why he would be embarrassed. With such long arms he had no leverage compared to shorter people and a longer distance to travel. It's a wonder people that tall can bench more than 200 pounds.
  6. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    That picture makes me think of that old Redd Foxx joke about Wilt. I love that joke. Too bad it's X-rated...

"That you Wilt?" :grin:
  7. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Wilt Chamberlain and Babe Ruth - total outliers. Really the only two of their kind that I can think of in major American sports. When you discuss either sport, if you really get into a deep discussion about the all-time greats and start comparing stats and accomplishments, you start to hear "yeah, well, except for him" alot.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Wa-Tho-Huk. AKA Jim Thorpe, might want to include him in any discussions of goats.

Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
    • Like Like x 1
  9. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    When I was 17 years old I saw Wilt at a local park sitting on a bench outside the tennis courts. I was probably 30 yards away but he was absolutely going off on the guy he was with. Could hear him like he was right next to my ear (and I'm legally deaf, no joke)

Anyways, he was sitting in the middle of the bench and had his arms stretched out to each side on top of the back rest and he was cupping the end of each side......that bench can easily sit 4-5 people across with comfortable space.

he was a freaking HUGE dude. This was probably 1993-1994 and he was what 55-56 years old. Guy looked like he could suit up play that day. And I've been around quite a few NBA'rs.....Wilt was an absolute monster.

to put it in perspective.....here is a picture I found online of Wilt with Andre the Giant and Arnold during the time when they were filming Conan.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=X&ei=fiIcUrKDIpTe8wSktID4CA&ved=0CIwBEP4dMA4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,275
  11. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Not saying that Wilt and Babe were the two greatest athletes, just that they skew all stats within their sports to the point that you kind of have to set them asise and talk about everyone else. I can't help but think of all the documentaries I've seen on the feats of different basketball players and the last line of the documentary says something like "and that's more than anyone in NBA history, except (the number) put up by Wilt Chamberlain." And Chamberlain's number would be double or triple what the subject of the documentary had accomplished. I mean, 55 rebounds in a game? 100 points? C'mon.

How about becoming an everyday baseball player halfway through your career and hitting 714 homeruns? Heck, Ruth was the best lefthander in the American League, and would have made the Hall of Fame as a pitcher if they hadn't moved him to the outfield to draw more fans.

Those two are unique. There is them, and everybody else in their sports.
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    Jim Thorpe was one of the most amazing gifted athletes ever. Maybe the GOAT.

Jesse Owens is at least in the conversation as well as Carl Lewis.

Ruth is sport specific, but probably the most gifted baseball player ever. I would never call him anything near the greatest athlete ever, though.

Wilt was a more well-rounded athlete than Ruth (but not in physical dimensions!), but his dominance is pretty much a single activity. Wilt did do well at other sports (volleyball, racking up an enormous number of sexual partners, ...), but his is mostly remembered for basketball ... and that other thing. ;^)