Will WM change his philosophy when Grier arrives?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by potomacgator, Sep 10, 2013.

1. potomacgator

potomacgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Where was this thread moved to?
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,194
    Probably recruiting. (Awesome recruiting)
  3. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    It went to thread heaven. The same thing will happen to any other threads with multiple posts that question why a recruit would want to come to UF.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorbrah

gatorbrah New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I don't think the question was why a recruit would want to come to UF - we all know our school is outstanding and we have a lot to offer. The question is whether our offensive performances will eventually hamper our ability to sign the most elite offensive recruits.
  5. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Why not just lock the threads and let them fade into oblivion? At least that answers what the heck happened to them.
  6. potomacgator

potomacgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    You would think that WM assured Grier that he would have the opportunity at UF to lead a passing offense before Grier committed.

A good coach always runs his offense to fit the talent of his players and Muschamp is a very good coach. If Grier lives up to his potential WM will change his run-first philosphy.
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,444
    So throwing 33 times is not enough? If JD throws two TD's instead of two picks on Saturday in the red zone....nobody is complaining today about a need to change our passing game.

I doubt Grier will throw it any more times than JD did on Saturday...and thats fine.
  8. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +389
    That's what I was thinking. Dude threw for almost 300 yards, made two bad decisions to throw into coverage, but otherwise played a good game . . . yet so many people want to start thinking about next year's guy.

Anyhow, on the topic, I am guessing that the coaches will give him a year in the system while Jeff will run the team again in 2013. And to me that's a good thing.
  9. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    If Grier shows that is proves he can be accurate, and reads defenses well, then yes I do believe we would see a 60/40 run to pass. Maybe even 55/45. I think the coaches know JD has difficulty reading defenses and is apt to make bad decisions. I mean they are watching practices.
  10. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    What's wrong with our offensive philosophy now? But for some bad decisions by Driskel on some throws, and fumbles by Jones and Burton, we would have pounded Miami.
  11. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    I'd say probably not. Also we shouldn't put too much expectations on Grier. He may be a stud, and he may not be. Only time will tell. I certainly hope he will be a stud. Lets just not forget JB and JD were both in the argument as the top rated QB recruit in their particular class.
  12. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +434
    Won't let me rep you again, but my goodness Tilly, you are a breath of fresh air on these boards.
  13. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    but the point is, he didn't throw 2 TDs--he threw 2 INTs
  14. UFcody

UFcody Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    The original question was about changing the offensive philosophy. The gameplan never includes your QB throwing 2 picks.

The point is throwing the ball 33 times is a lot. It wasn't about philosophy as much as it was about execution.
  15. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Its really not the number of passing attempts or really even yards that matter. Its TDs and points. Right now we are last in the SEC in TDs and scoring. Typically bigger plays (i.e. TDs) come out of the passing game, which is why folks clamor for it. But if points were coming out of the running game for us I bet everyone here would be just fine with that too. But when we are last in scoring (somewhere we should never be), its hard to argue with people who want to see something different.

BYU ran 72% of their downs for 550 yards (and only threw for like 150) against Texas. They dominated on the ground racking up a healthy YPC and most importantly put 40 points on the scoreboard. They only completed 9 passes, but to me that is still pretty dang exciting.

Honestly I was one of those needing to see more out of the passing game and I did see more on Saturday. But I can't just dismiss the turnovers and red zone deficiencies. At this point, I need to see an improvement on the scoreboard. We just need an effective offense.

We are DFL, a full TD behind 13th place:

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/football/confldrs.htm
  16. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Good point but the flip side of that is if our philosophy weren't so conservative maybe it wouldn't take us so long to march down to the red zone each and every time and therefore a turnover or two wouldn't be so devastating. It's the low margin for error argument. If your philosophy means you have to play nearly perfect is it a good philosophy?

This is how I feel when our plodding offense turns the ball over in the red zone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BSyFjKGkg
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Has Coach Muschamp been quoted saying he does not want to pass the ball(or take chances) as part of a deliberate offensive philosophy?

Mistakes aside, our pass game moved the ball better than our run game against miami. 44 rushes for 122 yards(2.8 avg) vs 33 pass plays for 291 yards(8.8 per attempt).
  18. g8rboy

g8rboy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    the issue to me is long drives. it is nice that they take time off the clock; but it is easier to make a mistake (turnover, penalty, non-third down conversion).

the 4 play 74 yard drive that takes 1:45 is still effective.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    But he did throw two picks instead of two TDs. And we lost the game to someone that we should have beat because of it.
  20. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Even if we had Percy Harvin and Hernandez we would still play as we do now.