Will our system win championships???

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Oct 17, 2013.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    This is WM first gig as HBC. We know his system which is strong D, field position, protect the ball, and eat up clock and don't give wins away. I am convinced this is a recipe for 7-9 wins in the SEC that includes cupcakes. I am also convinced his style WON'T win championships. So far he has shown zero ability to recruit or develop players on the O. His style seems to wear out our OL, and reduced scoring to a minimum. On talent alone we should win 7 games but as we all have seen this year and the previous 2 years our O is no where near championship level.
    WM is a nice enough guy and wants to win, but unless he quickly changes the way the O is handled we will continue to be back in the pack. IMO our O is beyond repair for this year. I can see 3 more losses with the OL we have. Teams will do what LSU did and limit our scoring. Our D is good but all a team needs to do is score 17 against us. It kills me to see us in this shape. :(
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    the system is not the problem, but i would tend to say that it is the players in the system. this last years number 2 recruiting class has alot more players for this system and they should start to show improvement, fulwood played well at lsu, taylor is going to be a stud, and robinson is a freak but needs to stay in the playbook because he doesn't seem to be on the same page as murphy. with an improved 0-line, which has been addressed in recruiting we could really see this offense start to become productive next season. i do agree it is probably beyond repair for this season, which happens when your o-line is this banged up, starting qb is out, and starting rb is out. just not a good combination of injuries at all.
  3. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I think the system can win, yes. What needs improvement much more is the position coaching, fundamentals, discipline, execution, talent evaluation, personnel decisions, etc.
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,105
    Yes
    • Like Like x 1
  5. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +424
    I'm convinced he can win championships and win consistently with his vision. Heck, USC beats ND and we would have been in the NC last year. So he almost did it last year with a good, but not great roster. He is now bringing in top talent on the offensive side (see the WRs/RBs/QB and playmakers he is bringing in). I am very optimistic about our team and future.

I agree that our offense is a mess right now. Injuries, the Weis-fiasco, Muschamp cleaning up the Urban mess, and lack of depth have really hindered our offense. I have no doubt Will Muschamp sees the problem and will fix it. I have no doubt he is a very good coach (see last year which he and our coaching staff did an outstanding job coaching this team) and many other examples when he was DC for other schools including coming into the swamp with Auburn and completely shutting down our high powered offense. See, that is what outstanding defenses can do. They can shut down high powered offenses. We have the defense at the elite level, and now we need to work on the offense. The offense does not need to be world beaters, but definitely needs to be more balanced and we need to see improvement and depth at many positions.
  6. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    If we were excelling at all of the above, even runs up the middle would regularly go for long touchdowns and we would not have this out of wack TOP to points ratio.
  7. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    Time will tell. I am optimistic. He recruits well, and he was pretty much starting over post-Meyer. We beat LSU and FSU last year with this coach and philosophy. This year, we should have beaten Miami if not for the turnovers. LSU was frankly just a better team, and that is gonna happen sometimes. Gotta face it. I am sure Bama fans were asking this question a few years ago.
  8. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Yes....absolutely! Have you seen Bama play? The system Muschamp is following is the same system. We don't have the studs on offense that Bama has, but Saban is the best recruiter/coach in the game!
  9. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    What's wrong with the "system" is too few talented offensive linemen. That's it. Address that problem and we will do fine. Unfortunately, that problem takes a while to address.
  10. intimigator1

intimigator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +70
    Your points are very valid and might I add a very good assessment of college football in a realistic sense. I believe that we will always be a certain 9-10 win team under Will's guidance but too be the dominant force that wins Championships..not so sure. I do believe that under this type of gameplan that we will need 2 or 3 super studs on offense that break games open and I don't see that being realistic. Too many schools out there and not enough gamebreakers to spread around. We do have potential on offense and can always look down the road at developing the talent but right now it isn't there. Being competitive is always good but I, like everyone else, wan't to have that elite team that dominates the competition. With this style of offense am not sure it will happen.

One must however give credit where it is due...we certainly have one hell of a defense but of course one that would probably love to have a one hell of an offense to go with it. Time will only tell if that happens.
  11. traubgator

traubgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    i have a hard time with all of this.
    is our system the way it is because we have a lack of play makers on offense?

which has been discussed on many threads before, we are the freaking university of florida, how do we not have play makers on offense!!!!

so if his system is to not recruit playmakers on offense, it has no hope!
  12. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,272
    Here is the system you speak of:

Year-----Team-----------W/L Record-----Total Off-------Total Def

2012..........Florida...............11-2................103d...............5th
    2012..........USCe.................11-2..................82d.............11th
    2012..........LSU...................10-3..................85th..............8th
    2012..........Alabama............13-1.................31st...............1st
    2012..........Vandy.................9-4..................80th.............19th

Average.........................11-2..................76th.............9th

Similar philosophies, varying effectiveness.
  13. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    yeah man, that is exactly what it is. we only recruit defense at UF. ridiculous. posters like you are a disgrace to the gator nation. if you don't know who was in our last recruiting class don't comment on it. we weren't the number 2 recruiting class last season because we recruited all defense. if you can't tell that RS juniors and seniors offensively are spread players being used in a pro style offense than i don't know what you are watching. its a transition period. don't compare it to meyer coming in and winning his second year, because zook did an awesome job recruiting and meyer showed up with a roster full of studs. muschamp got the exact opposite when he took over and things are starting to get better but it just doesn't happen in 2/3 years. it takes about 5 years to build a program back from square one after hitting rock bottom at the end of the meyer years.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    I like your optimism and hope you're right. I just don't think the long drives eat up clock kind of offense will get it done vs good teams. A fumble here, a fg there, a long drive that eats clock but ends with a punt, limits scoring. Our D is good but they go up against some very good offenses. IMO wm's style leaves little room for error, further more it has shown it's not capable of scoring quickly if need to. I hope you're right but I just don't see it without some changes.

It's possible that WM sees/knows the shortcomings of our OL and so the O is designed to mask those weaknesses, but can't mask them against good defenses. It is his responsibility to develop OL and recruit well in those areas. The fact that some players start while we have seen TM being better and I think taylor will be an upgrade makes me wonder about who's doing the evaluating. Just lots of concerns so far. But no matter what I root hard for us to win.
  15. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I guess Fullwood, Robinson, Kelvin Taylor are not potential playmakers. Or why did they decide to come here....

Our problem is that our playmakers just arrived on campus. More are on their way.

Sadly, we had a good shot at two who went elsewhere. You do have to wonder what Nelson Algoholor and Stefon Diggs are thinking right now....
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I think Kelvin Taylor and Cook in 2014 will shorten those long drives that you are speaking of.

Mike Gillislee shortened some of them last year when he got through the first level and made the second level miss.

The problem that most didn't think about is that our returning experience at RB were not threats to take it to the house. Now, as Taylor gets more touches and more experience, we'll see that dynamic change.
  17. traubgator

traubgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    thats the point exactly, if they are playmakers get the ball in their hands.
    they have 22 touches between the 3 of them in 6 games.
  18. Gatorstew

Gatorstew Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    The system and philosophy are fine. You just really need at least an average offense to make it work consistently. Could you imagine just a semi-explosive offense with this philosophy? Could be scary. Games would look very much like the LSU game, instead they'd be in our favor. Quickly make the game a two possession game and then let the D and pounding backs go to work while passing when needed to keep the ball and control the clock.
  19. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    As long as we run a similar system as Alabama and they continue to get the top picks it's hard for me to think we will get ahead of them as long as Saban is there
  20. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +874
    Just about any system will win championships if it has the correct talent, coaching and resources. The issue I have is that Florida is a state of speed athletes, not so much of giant linemen that fit our new system. With coaches Spurrier and Meyer, we used the athleticism of the state's high school talent to win championships. Time will tell if the current system can do the same with the players available for us to recruit.