Will Our Running Game Improve?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SmootyGator, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    can UF get him back to make the running game better.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    OL isn't making much room to run and our primary two backs don't have the vision and feet to get to space when it's not in the play design.

Injuries and illness likely have a lot to do with this. I don't think we'll see much improvement on the OL injury front. We don't seem to have an SEC ready tackle to replace Green, and Halapio will likely be a bit "compromised" on his left side due to the torn pec for the rest of the season. He won't be his normal road grading self, that's for sure.

Hopefully, Matt can build back the strength, burst and timing... to my eyes, he is not running like he did at the end of last season, and all reports were that he was running better than that in the Spring. I wouldn't sell him short, but as he's recuperating/rebuilding, other guys may need to get some opportunity.

The thing is that we win when we don't turn the ball over... if guys like KT and Herndon don't have the coaches' full confidence on ball security and protections, they're not going to get too many opportunities with the game on the line.
  3. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    why is the backup off line such a big dropoff? they were also highly recruited.
  4. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +581
    Our OL is not the best. But, they do create running lanes and holes for the backs. They just do not run through them. Sometimes I think our backs are blind, need contacts, or are shocked they have the ball or something, or just are not comfortable running into open lanes. open grass scares them and they look for refuge in the pile.
  5. vader6063

vader6063 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Bingo! Especially Matt Jones.
  6. missourigator

missourigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    two words: offensive line.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    Most any team would have issues if their starting RT was out for the year, their starting RG missed games and is now playing hurt, and backup RT has been in and out with injuries.

OL always physically take time to develop - the good players are usually getting backup snaps their second year and then working into the regular rotation their third year.

It's only a few freaks of nature that usually play much as frosh and that's usually only because of deficiencies in the depth chart, as opposed to them really being SEC ready.

Outside of that, we appear to have been more successful recruiting guards than tackles and we could really use a right tackle now along with another healthy backup tackle in the rotation. Losing Green really hurt.

My .02 from the cheap seats. Insiders would have a better take.
  8. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    If Jones actually picks the right holes more than half of the time and breaks a tackle or two, then yes it will improve.
  9. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I haven't seen many "lanes" or "holes" so far---if they are there, I don't think the RBs can find them anyway.
  10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133
    I think it will myself.

Against Arkie, that was some of the best pass protection we've seen in a long time by the Gator OL, and that was against a very good Arkie DL with two extremely good pass-rush ends. Their DL is a little better than LSU's is at this time on development IMO.

This will be the third time our pre-season starting OL has played together without being hindered or disrupted by injuries, so I expect a better run game Saturday.
  11. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    The o-line often fails to create holes & when they do, the backs (it seems MJ than others) often fail to run through them. Maybe the holes are "secondary" & like a QB that progresses through his receivers, the back needs to have vision to see what might open up. I think the sweeps or other outside runs open up the middle running lanes that we like to use more than the passing attack does.
  12. GeauxTigers99

GeauxTigers99 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    It will this week. Everyone's running game improves after playing this years Tiger D.
  13. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +505
    Ours may help your average though...