Will Our Running Game Improve?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SmootyGator, Oct 8, 2013.

1. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +263
    In my opinion, our running game hasn't produced like it should be doing. Perhaps this is a lack of Gillislee, perhaps another reason...

I think that towards the end of the season last year and the beginning of this year that defensive coordinators pretty much clued into the fact that we didn't have much of a passing game. There was a lot of obvious "stacking the box" which we saw. But now that we have TM at the QB, things might change. How long will that take?

How long does it take for defensive coordinators to adjust, and how far back do they study film? For example, Kentucky didn't just look at the Tennessee game and think: "OMG, TM is the real deal, we have to key in on that guy". They obviously looked at game film from more games than that.

Now that we have a more balanced attack (in terms of effectiveness), I would assume that the run opens up some more. I really believe that at some point our running game will be back to the level it was last year. I ask this because I think that last year, if opposing D-coordinators knew our weakness from the onset, we would have lost another game or two. It seemed to me that there was some lag.

So, do you think that now that TM is our QB it will open up the run more? And if so, how long will it take?
  2. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I think Gilly is the main reason the running game is not what it was. For that matter, it was the reason it was not what it should have been in 2011, too.
    In any event LSU's defense is not that great, so we may be able to put up some better numbers this week. As others have indicated maybe an infusion of Taylor and Hardemon could help.
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,195
    Gillislee was a senior who had waited his turn behind two guys who have played in the NFL. Mack has filled in admirably and Jones is a soph. The running game will be as good as the health and quality of the OL.
  4. SmootyGator

Ratings Received:
    +263
    So, neither of you think that TM being as good as he has been will open up the running game more?
  5. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Its tough to point at any one thing that is hurting our running game. The backs have seen very little daylight when they run between the tackles. We seem to do a little better when we run wide but we can't turn the corner. The big game Matt Jones had against Kentucky was a nice change but I'd like to see a few more 100+ yard games, especially against the big rivals we have yet to play. Blocking is the main issue, but the backs need to blow through some tackles and make more yards after contact. I'd love to see Taylor get some carries but it may not be in the cards.....
  6. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Yeah, I think he helps, but JD was a good runner too, and the running game was average with him as well. I don't think the OL is great, but it is what it is. I think we an average OL, and unless you have a very good back you'll only have a very average running game. Gilly made the difference last year. I think it's time to see what Taylor and Hardemon can do this year.
  7. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,195
    Didn't write that at all. The thing you need to consider is that our offense really hasn't changed since TM has taken over. If the running game opens up, it will be due to multiple factors, but primarily the OL's quality of play. Our RBs are who they are and the system is what it is: a run-focused physical control the ball and clock game plan. Another factor will be the nature of the defenses we play. If there are weaknesses to be exploited, and there will be with LSU/UGA/Mizzou/USCe, the coaches will do their best to plan to take advantage of those.
  8. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +357
    I hope so, but I think what we are seeing in Orange & Blue is less than great TBs running behind a good but not great OL..

I thought the difference b/w Collins for Arky and our TBs was noticeable, Collins had better vision and quickness even at 220 lbs...

maybe Jones is still getting to 100%, and I really like how Mack Brown has been running, but he does not have an extra gear...

I am beginning to think Jones' coming out last year at FSU was due more to FSU's D rolling over late than anything UF or Jones did.
  9. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    I think TM will help open our run game for sure--

And I'd like to get away from Burton playing QB spread- just leave it to TM.

We have some very good backs and I'm sure we are working on something.
  10. SmootyGator

Ratings Received:
    +263
    I think our offense has changed quite a bit since TM has taken over. Not in terms of style, or playcalling... but... you know what I mean. I don't want this to turn into a JD vs. TM thread, but I was trying to be subtle in that I'm saying that opposing coaches recognized JD's weaknesses and exploited them. Now that TM is at the helm, do you think that opposing coaches will play us differently, i.e. not stacking the box, which should help the ground game...

I definitely recognize that there are multiple factors, just talking about this one specifically! :D
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,606
    Every defensive coordinator will approach it differently. If they trust their corners, then they won't worry about the back end and will go with plus boxes. If they are concerned about us beating them deep or on catch and run opportunities like Patton did against Arky, then they will play us straight up. More likely, they will do both on a regular basis because few defensive coordinators stick with a single plan the entire game.

I wish I could pinpoint exactly what the struggles have been in the run game. I highly doubt the defensive coordinators at Mizzou, La-Lafayette, and Jacksonville St. somehow figured out how to stop our run when others couldn't. It had more to do with poor offensive line play as we kept getting dinged up along the line and couldn't run some of our stuff. That is part of the problem now. Muschamp said in his presser Monday that the line has been outstanding in pass protection so far, but not in the run phase--the exact opposite of what we saw last year.

So it is a little bit of the line, a little bit of the backs, a little bit of predictability, and a little bit of defensive coordinators simply not being scared enough of our passing attack to back out of their plus boxes, run blitzes, etc. We definitely need more out of the run game, though, and I don't know how are going to get it. I suspect we eventually see Taylor more if Jones and Brown aren't hacking it because he has a pretty unique skill set in terms of his leverage, vision, agility, lower body strength, etc., that make it difficult to get him on the ground and might work better if our line continues to struggle. We'll see.
  12. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,258
    Our run blocking has definitely taken a step back and I don't think either of our starting RBs has demonstrated the consistent big play ability that Gilly had last year. When Gilly had a crease, he was gone for at least 7-15 yards. Brown and Jones both struggle with this and struggle with cuts upfield to try and gain additional yards.

I'm not one to automatically think the backups are always better or anything...but from the (very) limited sample we saw--both Herndon and Taylor were very good in these categories. They see a crease, hit the hole fast, and are 5 yards downfield before the defense can react. This is also based on more than just the Toledo game...we saw this ability in the O&B game as well.

I get it that Muschamp has a plan to win--and for this year's team, focusing on TOP seems to be the main focus. If that's the case, then both Jones and Brown are dependable backs who will get 2-4 yards with almost every carry and play right into that.
  13. bgator85

bgator85 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +242
    It should at least improve this week, LSUs run D is pretty bad.
  14. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    I think Brown and Patton have big play potential running the ball. Brown accelerates faster than Jones and gets to the hole quicker, IMO. Patton on the jet sweep has been a good play.

I also think Murphy should get more designed runs, especially early in the game.
  15. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,195
    I agree that the offense has improved, but disagree that it has changed quite a bit. Scheme, play selection, and run/pass ratio are what they are. So yeah, I know what you mean. But I feel that DCs will not need to adjust drastically because we have certain tendencies. We are a run-first offense. Jeff was every bit the threat to run that Tyler is. The only difference right now is that Tyler is executing pretty darn well in the passing game and managing the offense. It might eventually open some things up, but again: the running game will be as good as the OL and opposing D is.
  16. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    I also hope the coaches let Murphy run more to help out our running game. I understand the need to protect him thus far, but now that we're hitting the meat of our schedule we're gonna need to let TM truly loose.
  17. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Agreed. Same offense.

Funny to be a run-first offense, which we are, yet have way more success through the air than on the ground like we saw Saturday. Are we a run-first passing team?
  18. SmootyGator

Ratings Received:
    +263
    I'm with you... I really hope that the running game gets back to what it was for the better part of last year. If we do that, and TM keep doing what he's doing, we'll be hard to beat!!!
  19. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    Gilly was a big reason, he was behind Demps and Rainey for the same reasons TM sat behind JD

But as for the X's and O's, the OL is producing little room for (2) guys that cant make anybody miss. That's a simple formula for mediocre to below avg production

I certainly think Tyler's abilities will keep defenses honest, less in the box which "in theory" should make it easier to run
  20. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Don't worry. Corndogs can't run fast because they keep tripping over their sticks.