Will Muschamp......Our Rex Ryan?????

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Gatorphenom, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    First let me say I was one of the first and still am a staunch supporter of Muschamp and believe he can be the next Harbaugh/Saban with a little more experience under his belt.

But the more I have watched and admired Will over the years the more he emulates the strengths and weaknesses of Rex Ryan fundamentally as a football coach that is.

Positives:

-A player's coach, they would literally give their last breath on the football field for this guy. Man of great enthusiasm, energy, and an obsessive perfectionist.

-A defensive minded savant, able to scout, utilize, and draw the the maximum potential out of a player, whoever it may be on that side of the ball. Fundamentally, scheme, and concept wise, always 1-2 steps ahead of the opposing offensive coordinator. Just brilliant.

-Great with the media and fans and the overall community.

Negatives:

-Not a great evaluator of talent on the offensive side of the ball nor a adept at hiring the right personnel that does.

I.E.-Drafting Sanchez 4th overall , hiring Brian Schottenheimer, Tony Sparano)

-Refusing to play the players behind the talent that weren't playing "talented" on the field.

-And foul language....:grin: Although can't say this likeness isn't funny.

All the being said, many people still believe you are hard pressed to find a coach better than Ryan. And if he ever finds the right combination of quarterback/Offensive coordinator his teams would be Superbowl caliber.

What if it's as simple as this for Muschamp, I don't recall Saban being a world beater until he got the Mark Ingram/Julio Jones type players. Now granted Muschamp has the talent on roster now, Taylor, Fulwood, Robinson. But they haven't been given the reigns yet. If we give those players their reigns and get consistent QB play, we are destined to be SEC champs because of how talented our defensive side of the ball is.

I guess I would rather have Rex Ryan than a lot of other coaches despite him not being so popular now.

PS- Flame away if you must, I will not flame back, just an honest attempt to see if anyone else felt the comparison and similarities were valid. :ninja:
  2. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    except Muschamp wins
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    Lol
  4. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    Ryan is a clown.. Muschamp has more class than Ryan ever had.
  5. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    GOOD POINT :laugh:
  6. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +712
    muschamp doesn't have a tattoo of his wife in a #6 jersey... that we know of. :tongue:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Ryan's foot fetish has been documented but I wasn't aware of any poultry issues.
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,153
    I understand the analogy you're trying to make, but I hope Muschamp has a better role model.
  10. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Other than the fact that they are both football coaches I don't see the similarities ...
  11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,698
    He's closer to a lame duck.
  12. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
  13. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,698
    Is anything 'too weird' or 'too gross' for New Yorkers or nearby Joysey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJA4h8T0D0
  14. newmexicogator

newmexicogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Look at Saban's earlier stops before Bama. His offense was nothing noteworthy. Heck Zook had his teams beat once and actually beat him once during a NC season.

SOmething happened to Saban at Bama where he either lucked with good RBs and realized that he can with a great OL and running game and minimal QB involvement. Or simply, he perfected his philosophy and what he sees right now is the culmination of all that he had learnt over the years.

Hoping MUschamp undergoes a similar transformation. HOwever, he needs to ensure his team plays fundamentally sound and disciplined football. That in itself will win many games. The miami game was lost due to undisciplined ball all over the place.
  15. newmexicogator

newmexicogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Look at Saban's earlier stops before Bama. His offense was nothing noteworthy. Heck Zook had his teams beat once and actually beat him once during a NC season.

SOmething happened to Saban at Bama where he either lucked with good RBs and realized that he can with a great OL and running game and minimal QB involvement. Or simply, he perfected his philosophy and what he sees right now is the culmination of all that he had learnt over the years.

Hoping MUschamp undergoes a similar transformation. HOwever, he needs to ensure his team plays fundamentally sound and disciplined football. That in itself will win many games. The miami game was lost due to undisciplined ball all over the place.
  16. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    IMHO the only thing Will has in common with Ryan is that they are both defensive minded coaches.
  17. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Right, like my opinion that this thread blows.
  18. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    Excerpt from the original post-Not a great evaluator of talent on the offensive side of the ball nor a adept at hiring the right personnel that does.

Coach Robinson is considered to be the best recruiter in the country, so apparently he has hired the right personnel.
  19. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    If Florida had OSUs schedule we would be ranked in the top-3 and Muschamp would be on everybody's list as a sure thing for Texas. Right Phenom :wave:
  20. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Muschamp has some things to work on, but I'd say we have a very bright future. His offensive personnel decision making can be questionable, but we are on the right path and won't have to worry about that much in the future imo.

He is recruiting great talent on offense so we won't have players like Clay Burton at TE and Trey Burton as WR (I like him, but he is not a good WR). Dunbar is pretty average yet he is playing a lot. In the future with Muschamp's recruiting a WR the caliber of Dunbar would be reduced to a depth player instead of being relied upon to contribute a lot. The WR core is pretty mediocre, but judging by the talent at WR last class and this class brought in we are gonna be loaded at WR instead of average.

He is recruiting studs at RB like Taylor, Lane, Cook, and have a good chance to get Bo so we won't have to settle for average RBs to be our starters like Jones and Brown this season (Kelvin should play more imo). I know that Jones was his recruit, but that was his first full class and honestly Mike Davis was supposed to be the stud in that class but we missed on him and settled for just 1 RB).