Will Grier Throws 7 TDs in 1st half...14 in 2013 already...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gator996, Sep 1, 2013.

1. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Grier is, really?
  2. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    FWIW I am not saying that Grier is the next Brantley. I have high expectations for Grier. We just need to put these 7 TD games in the proper perspective so we don't massively overhype Grier when he comes in. We all know how that will end up. We'll have the same old predictable people saying Grier is a bust by the second or third game of his career.
  3. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    I think he has five in his 4 games this season
  4. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    He's playing against the same low caliber competition that John Brantley played against when he was setting all the passing records in Florida.
  5. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I'd bet his competition is even worse. His school is in one of those independent private school leagues. Schools don't join those leagues because it was too easy for them playing against real schools.
  6. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,058
    You guys are starting to worry me with this competition thing. WTH? So he doesn't play any team with a pulse? Can someone elaborate?
  7. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +93
    He's simply head and shoulders above everyone he plays against athletically. I'm assuming his team as well. So to me it's really a wash. If your not very athletic receivers are dominating the other teams not very athletic secondary I would think the difference would be qb play. His biggest issue will be adjusting to the speed of the players on both sides of the ball when he gets to college. That and gaining some weight.
  8. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    I mean he did go to the opening and do very good there as well. We really won't know how good he is till at least The US army all star game
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    Didn't Brantley look pretty good in that game or at least practices?
  10. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Lol Brantley this, Brantley that. So what, are y'all trying to convince yourselves he's gonna have a mediocre career like Brantley? I understand the comp he plays is terrible. That doesn't mean he's just an average QB. If I'm not mistaken, Brantley played in the spread his entire college career(which everyone knows he's not a spread type QB). I believe he would be successful in pease's offense. But I get it, he's average. And since the comp he played was equal to or better than the comp grier faces and because they put up similar numbers, Grier is just average as well
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,524
    I think the point is "don't count your Heisman QBs until they hatch." Plenty of people are the second coming until they arrive. Hell, Driskel was this guy just two years ago; we were inundated with "wait until Driskel gets here" comments, now everyone wants him supplanted by Grier.

He played in a spread in high school. The Ocala offense was a spread offense very similar to Texas or Oklahoma at the time.

He then played in something very similar concocted by Meyer & Addazio in 2010. He literally ran four option plays the entire season.

In 2011 he was in the most "pro style" offense we've had (certainly moreso than Pease's) and he still wasn't good.
  12. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    When did I say anything about a heisman or beating out driskel?? I said he could end the year second on the depth chart you're saying stuff unrelated to anything I said in that first part. Also, I'm glad u took the time to look up what type of system he played each year of his career, when it really had nothing to do with my point about Grier that was just something I felt like adding
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,524
    I didn't say you did. I was simply demonstrating what the meaning is.

Did I? I was simply explaining something you clearly didn't understand (ie why bring up Brantley).

Well I didn't have to "look it up," but I'm glad you're glad.

This is interesting, since *you* are the one that brought up Brantley's system (and you got it wrong).
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    Exactly. I was just pointing out that a HS All-Star game won't tell us that much. Star ratings and passing records are nice but don't always translate to college. I'm not saying he is destined to follow in Brantley's footsteps. But it's certainly not a given he'll follow in a Leak, Grossman, or Tebow's footsteps.
  15. thedyc09

thedyc09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    Honestly, I think if Brantley had been able to stay healthy for his entire career, we could have won 10 games his last year. So if Grier has the same talent ceiling as Brantley (who never reached his) with much better backs and receivers than Brantley (as evidenced by current recruiting) and an equal, if not more talented, defense than Brantley, then we can safely assume we have a chance at a title while he's here.

If Greg McElroy can win a championship, then Grier can no matter what his high school comp is like.
  16. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I think we can all agree that Grier has the physical tools to be a very successful college QB and we are all hopeful that he will do great things at UF. His performance at the Opening confirmed that he can make the throws against elite level DBs. We don't know yet what he can do against SEC defensive fronts, and we won't know until he gets the chance.

But saying he's definitely going to be our #2 QB makes about as much sense as saying he's a future Heisman winner. Most of us would look like all-stars against the comp he plays now. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be dominating against much tougher comp. The point is it just makes it harder to tell how good he really is.

Even if he is our #2 qb, we'd still probably redshirt him unless Driskell gets hurt.
  17. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291
    I have said it before Grier is going to get more praise than Brantley or Driskel just based off the people we will be playing with.
  18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Just continuing AZ's line of thought, Grier will be walking into a ver stable offensive system fully transitioned from spread option to a pro-style offense and will have a full stable of capable WRs and RBs around him Not too sure about the OL by that time. We are currently buying time with highly talented transfers. Recent OL classes have either been sub-stellar or have suffered attrition. We have to get Sharpe and probably one or two JUCO studs.

That said, I'm totally sold on Grier. This kid's neural paths were built around playing QB, never mind his arm and legs. I don't even are that he's on the small side. It didn't hurt the last QB we brought from North Carolina, who will hopefully be his position coach.
  19. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    I think the difference is that Grier has that A-type personality and seems to be a "gamer," while Brantley just wished he was back in Ocala fishing.
  20. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    I worry about the expectations that Grier is going to walk into here.

A hungry fanbase (and oft-irrational) that is waiting for over a year, hoping to see the kid take a snap as a true freshman is a lot to ask of him, especially with an experienced RSJunior QB in Driskel sat on the roster.

Expecting perfection is absurd.

Facing simple facts, Driskel is only 12 months from actually 'winning' the QB battle that he had to work through camp to earn, but people forget that. He went 11-2 with steady play in his first year, mostly using his legs and showing some spells of modest improvement. He starts this year looking much more of a leader with 1 steady game, then a bad one against a rival (with 2 week gap due to the bye for people to scythe his reputation some more) and then did his leg early in the 3rd... yet anyone would think he'd fathered Satan's children reading these boards. Playing a bad game from time to time is inevitable for any QB but it seems like the circumstances of Driskel's bad one this time now have him consigned to the dustbin. John Brantley, he is not.

Grier will redshirt, IMO. So the moaners will have to wait at least 2 years from today to see this kid play. The boards could be fun in between...