1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Wilbekin's shot

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by deathroll, Feb 5, 2014.

1. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +709
    Guy gets much deserved praise for his defense and, to a lesser extent, his ability to drive and finish but (in my opinion at least) not enough for his outside shot. Anybody know what he's shooting from beyond the arc? Seems to me, Wilbekin always makes a couple of 3s before Frazier finds the range and takes over the outside shot duties. I like Scottie's shot; he's solid. I'd like to see him pull the trigger more often.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    From KenPom:
    38.4% from 3
    38.9% inside the arc
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    Solid. I'll take Scottie. The balls.
  4. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    I would love to see him take a couple more shots to stretch the D out. His shot fake is starting to get a little excessive, I wish he would catch and shoot a little more to mix it up
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +742
    what would Coach Knight say?
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    Scottie is especially deadly when he has time to spot-up and is true to his form. The shots he misses, he is often drifting away.
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Frazier and Scottie are the 2 guys on the team right now with really good shooting form. Everyone else has some weaknesses.
  8. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Hill has good form..just not great aim lol
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +709
    How good or bad is 38.4%? I'm guessing it's second best on our team (behind Frazier and ahead of Finney-Smith). What's considered a good percentage? What's considered great?
  10. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    IMO anything above 35% means a "solid" 3pt threat. Around 38% is "very good" and above 40 is elite. I made these numbers up in my head, just now. DFS is third on the team right now at 34.8% and I would say he is a solid 3 pt threat.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    Eww actually, DFS is at 32.4%. So not so solid. Casey Prather, at 1 for 3 on the season, is actually our 3rd best.
  12. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +416
    Well, 33.3% from 3-point land is the equivalent of 50% from 2 point land, and 50% from 2-point land is pretty good, so anything above 33% from 3-point land is quite good. As Bradass noted, 38% is very good (equivalent to 57% on 2-points), and anything over 40% is really, really good and causes great problems for the opponents (40% = 60% on 2-pointers, and Frazier's 45% equals 68% on 2-pointers). DFS was shooting about 35% early, but appears to have tailed off a bit recently. Of course Boynton, who missed more 3-point shots than any other player in Gator, or probably any team's history because he shot far more than anyone else, even Rosario and Murphy and Irv Walker, hit 32% his senior year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Kasey Hill does not get his legs into his outside shot, including his free throws. If you don't generate a lot of energy from your legs, you are not going to shoot a soft shot. Finney-Smith releases his shot from his right ear, like Chandler Parsons used to do before he started shooting well. If you release your shot from off of your right ear, you are going to miss your shot to the right unless you compensate by angling your shot to the left. That is not good form. The shot should be released from the top center of your forehead. These are just my observations.
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171
    Wilbekin just got some love from Jimmy Dykes and Reece Davis during the LSU/Gawja game. They said he deserves to be in the conversation of some of the best PGs and that he has been underrated, though I don't believe they were specific about by whom. I'm amazed at the progress Scottie has made. He's been a little quiet the last couple games, but his FT shooting has improved drastically. We're lucky to have such a solid leader on the floor.
  15. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +849
    Good observations Jack. Very close.

Perfect textbook form has the release to the right side of the head. Not drastically to the right, but to the right.

Think about it. If you are shooting with your right arm, it's on your right side of the body.

Watch Jordan, Ray Allen, Kyle Korver (best 3 pointer shooter in NBA)...all the great shooters shoot on their right side....slightly. Larry Bird was the most obvious.

To get it directly at the top center, your arm has to move left to align. This is when players develop "chicken wing", which won't allow for proper backspin.

You can even try this sitting at your computer....and you'll find the most comfortable slot on the right side above your head. It's where your arm naturally slots.

This is also why great shooters, like Frazier, tilt their feet to the left. It aligns the body even better.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    I am a lefty and have always shot the ball with my hand perpendicular to the floor but my release dead at the top/center of my forehead. If you chicken wing (like Davon Walker), your shooting hand will not be perpendicular to the floor. Shooting a basketball probably is my best skill, but each to his own. I will pay some attention to the better shooters to see where their shooting hand is upon release.
  17. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +709
    3 of 5 today against Bama; very timely shots too.
  18. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,099
    Although not as many as other games I still feel he is passing up some open shots he should be taking.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171
    Scottie did hit some big shots in today's game. He's also passed up a handful of open looks in the last couple of games. Some of those are good decisions in which he drives and dishes. Some of them, though, appear a bit too unselfish when we need him to take a reasonable amount of perimeter shots. I'm not sure why, but he appears to be passing up more open looks in these recent games.

Edit: Hall - you beat me to it! Didn't see your post.
  20. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,099
    And I am at a loss as to why he is doing it. He is second on the team, at over 38%, on three-pointers yet he will pass up a wide open shot only to see us settle for a harder shot later in the shot clock. Not always but it does happen.
    • Agree Agree x 1