wideout talk

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by will_muschomp, Jul 22, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Good stuff on Fulwood. He certainly did well last year, and looks to be a guy you can count on.

Robinson may not be any faster at the top end, but appears to be more explosive out of cuts, so is more likely to get separation, break the first tackle or make him miss and make a big play. From what I can tell.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. garettk

garettk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    Reminds me a bit of Rhett. I remember him getting into the second level and getting caught by faster guys or guys that took good angles. But dang was he a good one. Would have to say he was shiftier than Brown from what I remember.
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    To me, Rhett was just a more powerful runner. Even when he went down with contact, he was plowing forward. But like you said, he never really could get past that second level of guys and I'm not sure it was speed necessarily. Because Emmitt got past that second level A LOT and he was not fast by running back standards. Being able to make people miss is a huge advantage, neither Rhett or Brown were or are particularly great at that.
  4. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    The way I remember it, Rhett was looking for people to hit rather than trying to get to open space, and he broke tackles and/or pushed forward after contact. Kinda like our version of a Larry Csonka. He was a great blocker too.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Here's a great recent write up on Robinson by OnlyGators:

http://www.onlygators.com/07/15/201...orida-gators-wr-demarcus-robinson/#more-74767

“You heard it here first. He is that good,” sophomore cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III – a third-team Associated Press All-American, unanimous first-team Freshman All-American and unanimous first-team All-SEC nominee – said of the player.
    Hargreaves was speaking to FOX Sports reporter Bruce Feldman about Florida sophomore wideout Demarcus Robison, the four-star prospect who was supposed to be a game-changer and big-time playmaker for the Gators as a freshman.
    He impressed fans during open practices with flashy catches along the sideline, including some over Hargreaves, who just happens to be Florida’s best secondary player.
    Redshirt senior linebacker Michael Taylor referred to Robinson as a “freak,” noting that he was amazed because “some of the stuff that he can do is crazy.”
    After the Orange & Blue Debut spring game, redshirt junior quarterback Jeff Driskel called Robinson “a home run threat on every play.”
    Driskel on Monday praised Robinson, whom he has worked with extensively throughout the summer in player-run practices, even further during a conversation on-air with Tom Luginbill of ESPNU.
    “I think a name that a lot of people don’t know is Demarcus Robinson,” he said. “There’s a lot of hype around him in the program. He’s a guy that’s done a lot of maturing, and I think he has tremendous skill level and has the ability to be a big-time receiver in the SEC. I’m excited to throw to him.”
    • Like Like x 3
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,031
    Please lord, let it be true.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Lol at the projections in this thread. We were dead last in the SEC in every offensive statistical category last year and based on some of the posts here we are going from last to first because we hired a new OC?!!! You guys realize that our last OC immediately got hired in Washington and was very successful before he got here, right? If the head coach, o-line and QB are not significantly better than last year the wide receivers won't matter
  8. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    It's preseason football, man. Position conversation always is going to come up??? I didn't see much last to first comments on here. And nice touch on ripping the folks on here and providing an out for yourself in that last sentence ;)
    Just in case, right?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,031
    Pease didn't get hired as an OC at Washington. He's been demoted to an assistant coach.
    Pease's offenses were terrible at Baylor and average at UK. That's hardly 'very succesful'. He was OC for ONE year at Boise, where the offense was clearly not what he ran at Baylor, UK, or UF.

I agree with your last sentence.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Where has anybody said anything about going from last to first?

Tilt at windmills much?

Love the taste of Red Herring?
  11. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    Improvement in the WR corp matters just about as much as every other position on the offense.

UF was basically an "F" at every position on offense last year outside of RB.

So, even if the OL, QB, and RB are suddenly all A's, UF still won't be very good on offense if the receivers are still an F.

So it is important for that unit to improve, and improve drastically, just like every other position on the offense.

Most of that hope lies in the hands of the Class of 2013. Hopefully they can come through for us.
  12. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Pretty Please?
  13. HotlantaGator

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Improvement shouldn't be that hard.

After all, we lost our:
    starting QB
    starting TB
    4 of 5 starting OL

to significant injuries.

Even if the players or the coaching improve not one bit, merely staying healthy will result in major improvement.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +824
    It's tough to show your speed when you've got a 280 pound DT on your back two steps after you're given the ball...

I wouldn't guess that he's the fastest, but to say that he's not even in the top 20 is a little bit of a stretch. I think he's got some speed, but hasn't been able to showcase it because of playcall and O-line play. Here's an interview with him from 2010 when he signed. The background on him in the first paragraph says that he ran a 4.4 coming off a hamstring injury in high school.

http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/10469/qa-mack-brown/
    • Like Like x 1
  15. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    His camp times are either inaccurate or inconsequential. It's really about what he can do with the ball in his hands. Does he get to open space quick, accelerate quickly out of cuts, make the first guy miss (or just run thru him), run by defenders?

Of those qualities, I have seen Brown run through tackles to get extra yardage, but I haven't seen any of the other qualities. I have seen it out of Herndon, who to me is still one of the more impressive backs on the team. There is not a lot different between him and KT, from what I can tell. Herndon looks a bit faster though.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    It's Bishop KENNY.

Go Big Red.
  17. HotlantaGator

Ratings Received:
    +817
    He may have been tha fast in HS, and he runs hard, but behind the same OL and against the same defenses as Brown has had, here are others long runs:

Browns career long: 32 yards

Gillislee's: 60 yards

Driskel's: 70

Matt Jones': 67

It is safe to say that Brown is not a break away threat.
  18. dawny

dawny Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +210
    Brown is a trooper he waited his turn ,seems the most reliable and stud we have, go Gaotrs
  19. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    It's usually a good sign when it's the teammates-not the fans who follow recruiting-who are talking up a player like that. If his own teammates respect him, believe in him, and have put his name out there like that, he must be taking a different approach than he did when he first got here. I find it hard to believe that a kid like Hargreaves would go off like that about someone who wasn't about to blow up.

Two of the three players Florida brought to the SEC media days are saying things like that about DRob, as well as someone well-respected in the locker room like Taylor? To me, that's pretty impressive.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HotlantaGator

Ratings Received:
    +817
    He is reliable and a trooper, a great team player.