1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Wi-Fi boosters

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by anstro76, Oct 23, 2013.

1. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +942
    My router is in the main house. And I live in the Fonzi suite. My Wi-Fi is included in with the rent. I get decent service but when I stream HD it gets real choppy. Not a big deal but between Netflix, HBOgo,and my ultra violet accounts most of my entertainment is web based. Do these really work? And if so any recommendations

Sent from my mind using ESP
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,060
    They work, but you have to realize with a booster (extender) you'll be losing throughput right from the start. This is simply because the router has to accept the signal then rebroadcast it. I would first try to see if you could move your router to a better location to see if you can get the wifi to your suite.

Another option is just to buy another router and connect them with an ethernet cable.

If you have to buy one, you're going to end up spending a decent amount of money to get one that won't kill all your throughput by retransmitting the signal.
  3. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
  4. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +971
    I used to use 2 separate wireless routers several years ago when one of them just didn't have enough reach to it. This was back when it was 802.11b I believe(I've lost track as to what the standards are today).

Anyway, I found my 2nd router on e-bay and used it as a bridge. Absolutely worked like a charm. In the areas around the far end of the house which had been rather weak with just the one router, all of sudden was pegging the needle having that 2nd router bridged to it. Not sure if they still do that anymore or if an 'extender' is what they call it now--my understanding is that the extenders do nothing more than boost the signal. What my bridge did was provide a totally 2nd signal altogether and never had a problem doing that.