Why will UF be better next year?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatordad699, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Gatordad699

Gatordad699 Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Could someone please give me a logical, fact based explanation of why they think UF will be better next year.

Please do not include the loss of players at other schools as a reason. All schools lose players every year. Freshman come in all the time and make a huge impact.

If you choose to not use Driskel or Murphy as the starting QB please give the reason.

Please include in your explanation any coaching changes other then the Head Coach. I understand that if UF changes a position coach there will be some speculation in your explanation. I would prefer that no coaching changes be included in the explanation.

Looks like UF has 15 Seniors and a couple of Juniors that will leave.

The schudule will be rough as usual. UF will play F$U in Tally, UT in Knoxville, probably LSU @ home, USC @ home, UGA in Jax, Mizzo @ home, Vandy away (?) and UK @ home (?). Other then the East games and F$U I do not know how in flux the schedule is. Knowing the SEC, UF might get the NFC West away next year.

I am just a simple guy who watches college football. It seems that many people who post on here believe that UF will be much better next year. I am just looking for a fact based explanation on why they believe that. I really do not want to get into coaching changes or explanations of UF being bad next year.

Thank you for any responses.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
  3. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    They won't be better. Not if this current staff is still here.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DivePlay

DivePlay Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    Don't we play bama in 2014?

This was going to be a chance for us to tighten up the series....does not look too good now. Honestly, I will not have a good feel until it is 4 games into the season regardless of the rumors.
  5. dhouston

dhouston Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Alabama in Tuscaloosa
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    who is Bama's QB going to be?
  7. DivePlay

DivePlay Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    They were hoping it was Winston from FSU, but thankfully the did not get him. I don't know, but I know there is some concern about that position here in bamaland. They have Sims which I hear is ok, but I think they either landed a bit QB commitment or are courting him hard. Can't recall name but will try to look it up.
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    Only five lost starters, for starters...
  9. dhouston

dhouston Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Probably the 2nd coming of John Elway with our luck
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    the recruit just blew out his knee and needs a lot of work he will not be starting next year
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    They need Coker to transfer from FSU or they are probably going to have to start Sims
  12. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    with all the talent coming back, 2014 should be a huge year for UF! ga will be down with losing murray and south carolina will lose clowney and conner shaw---fla should be able to beat both teams and win the east. hopefully, alabama will be losing a bunch of top talent to the nfl again.
  13. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    Offensively we should be better just by the experience we return. It will be marginal improvement because our head coach isn't a big believer in scoring with the football. Defensively I think we will be a little worse as I expect a few juniors to leave early.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    USCe may lose Clowney and Shaw, but they have very few other players that will leave, and Dylan Thompson and the skill players will return. I think next year, SOS will finally have an offense that resembles his Florida offenses, and the defense should be stronger.
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    further explanation please. The man is constantly talking about wanting to get explosive plays

Also when you say the defense will be worse are you talking before or after Easley got hurt? I see us maybe losing a CB or two but we certainly gain more depth in the front 7 next year. The back end you more Poole or RIggs out to CB. You add big physical younger players at the safety position.
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,085
    That simply isn't true. He wants to SCORE. He simply wants to have a ground-dominant game whereby he scores after grinding the clock down, then feasting his ravenous defense on worn out opponents.

We are grinding, but we aren't scoring. 114th in red zone offense speaks volumes. But the previous two years, we were 35th and 43d in RZ offense, so it isn't HIS philosophy to suck at RZ offense. Our players simply cannot execute.
  17. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Don't forget we have that linebacker from last year that we stole from South Carolina that blew his knee out in practice who will be challenging for a starting position next year.
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Returning starters, and more athletic skill position talent stepping up on offense.

The big issue is fielding an OL that executes. Until we see that happen, it will be difficult to project how strong a team we'll be.
  19. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Break it down.
    Offense - the only significant improvement, I believe, may be at wide receiver.
    QB - no reason to think we will be better, or worse (unless you see Grier starting - unlikely).
    RB - Better if Taylor starts. See comment on Cook/freshmen below.
    O Line - same to slightly better due to experience (green plays). No rationale reason that we will see major improvement given history of little O line development. Coaching change here is only reason for hope.
    Receivers/Ends - Better due to talent/experience improving.

Defense:
    Line - same. Easley gone.
    Linebackers - same guys, adding some depth. Absent a current freshman taking over, little change.
    D Backs - depends on draft, but not a worry with our coaches.

Defense is not the main issue, though I see it being about the same level as now next year (I think the Mizzou game was an exception, not the rule for our D). Anybody who thinks freshman will come in and light it up on offense under CWM - please give one example where this has happened. I will believe it when I see it for the first time.

The talent will be similar, hopefully with fewer injuries, but there is only one hope for significant improvement next year and that lies with changing how (or by whom) the offense is coached.
  20. 1gatorbear

1gatorbear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    We won't be much better record wise, 8-4 is the best I can see us going next year.