why was murphy a 2 star?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mroberts220, Sep 22, 2013.

1. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    This is a great example of confusing issues. Neither you, I NOR anybody knows what Murphy "deserved" as a high school QB because, prior to Saturday, he had not played in a game. You can opine based on unknown "sources" that Murphy was not as good as JD in practice. Perhaps the season will prove you correct, but based on Saturday, that is not a fact. The point is that to make a backhanded statement about TM "deserving" to be a 3 star demands:
    - prescient foresight into how he will play the rest of the season, and
    - knowing for a FACT that the coaches were right in NOT giving him a game opportunity earlier.

Not willing to accept either premise, and pretty sure neither is a fact. Nobody knows how TM will do this season. Claims that he will win a heisman are as idiotic as claims that we can't win with him (or can only beat teams we could beat with "any" quarterback). I am cautiously optimistic that he will perform at least to the level of JD. Instead of perceiving this as "a dig" on JD, how about taking it as optimism about Murphy based on Saturday? Granted, I don't go to practice and perhaps you go daily - and Murphy just had an out of body experience Saturday? We will see....

If there is a "dig" anywhere for me, it is that our coaches have not developed offensive players to a high level, including JD... and I don't know why?
  2. gator2641

gator2641 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +70
    Honey Badger (LSU) was a 2*
  3. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    If you watch his high school highlights, he basically did nothing but run in high school. And honestly, while he's a smart runner and elusive, he really isn't as fast as you'd like a guy that runs 80% of the time to be.

It's not a surprise that he was a low-prospect as a QB coming out of HS.

Now if he has improved his passing to a D-1 caliber level, great for him. But Tennessee's defense is god awful and the jury is still out as to whether he can consistently complete passes against fast defenses outside of scramble throws.
  4. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    o·pin·ion
    əˈpinyən/
    noun

1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

"I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"

synonyms: belief, judgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpoint, outlook, attitude, stance, position, perspective, persuasion, standpoint;
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    nobody does or will ever know if Murphy should have started earlier. Deserved might not be the right word because stars are meaningless in the coaches eyes.

How is a claim we should beat UT with any scholarship QB at UF idiotic? We have way more talent than them. Same thing with Kentucky
  6. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +476
    I would add that some players have the ability to develop in ways that weren't expected when they were being recruited.

What Murphy's star rating was coming out of high school is really insignificant compared to where he is now.

The other element that can't be discounted is his play in a game vs. play in practice. Game situations can be very different psychologically speaking.

That is one thing I miss about SOS. He got everyone game experience. If Danny Wuerffel never saw the field and looked as good as he did against Arkansas St. in 1993, it may have been a tougher decision to put him in against UK when "Doering's got a touchdown!"

Just my 2 cents.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  7. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +839
    I think that's what frustrates some fans. Myself included. If we sub Taylor in, what are we losing? 2 backs that combined for less than 3 ypc and a fumble yesterday. Same with subbing in a different TE. Not for the whole game, but a meaningful series. Some kids are gamers. Its not like we'd be benching A-Hern or Emmitt smith.

I know I know, you earn it in practice. I get it.. Its just a bit frustrating on Sat.

Muschamp had to bench Matt Jones yesterday. You can't tell the press you're not playing talented freshman because they have ball security issues if your starting back keeps coughing it up.
  8. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

Well MULTIPLE posters have explained it to you. It seems like a slight on TM. You have done this several times in several threads. Not sure why the mods are putting up with it but you are being called out by MANY posters about it.

It might just be YOU.
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    explained what to me? This is a serious question unless you quoted the wrong thing
  10. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    No problem. You've made several comments that could easily be taken as a slight on Murphy. Are you denying this? You haven't been defending yourself since yesterday? I don't have time to go through all the threads and pick each example out but I guess since you are right so often why would you realize it.

The one I remember is making the ridiculous comment that we would have won with any qb. Which in itself diminishes TM coming on and leading us to victory from behind. Yea, that is a slight. You may think it isn't but it is. You seem very reticent to give TM much credit. You are being called out on it left and right. IMHO, rightly so.

Now put me back on ignore. I thought you were something else and actually respected it. But the claws came out and the petty comments you attacked all summer long...you are now making them. You may not see it. Sorry.
  11. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Eh, his highlights show him making a lot of good throws, and he is just as fast as Driskel. Most people thought he was going to switch to WR, so I highly doubt he isn't just as athletic as Driskel. He probably just didn't get much exposure in HS.
  12. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Yes this drives me wild as well. I wish Muschamp was more like Pete Carrol when it came to playing freshmen on offense and giving them the ball. He played the best period. No seniority BS.

Saban is similar as well he will give the ball to his freshmen RB- even when he has an already great RBs on the roster, let alone if he were to have averagish RBs like Jones and Brown. He gave Richardson carries when he had Ingram on the roster. Saban even gave freshmen Lacy carries when he had both Ingram and Richardson on his roster.

What is he afraid of? Brown and Jones both look like they run with 1000 pounds anvils weighing them down.

Your last statement is also spot on. Apparently Taylor doesn't play because of ball protection and pass protection issues, but both Brown and Jones have been terrible in pass protection this season and Jones has been a fumbling machine. There is some other reason for Taylor not getting carries.
  13. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    C'mon, whitelake ... this is some pretty rich irony considering how many JD bashers are now demanding undying allegiance to TM after 3 qtrs of football against UT.
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +978
    Ummm, you do realize there were two 5 star corners in the state of Florida last class, right? Just because he couldn't say definitely that Hargreaves was better than Alexander isn't shocking.
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Let me make this clear I like what TM did in the game. I am excited for him and hope he does well as the QB of UF.

Now, I expect us to beat UT no matter who the QB is. That is not a slight to Murphy that is the truth. I didnt think UT was going to score enough points to win despite being up in the game.

If we dont turn over the ball I expect us to beat teams like UT UK aRKY Missouri no matter who is the QB because of how good our talent is compared to how good their talent is. I believe in this coaching staff and its players. Maybe you dont but I do.

The games that are toss ups and where QB play will come into play more are LSU FSU USC and UGA. That is my opinion. I hope Tyler stays healthy and can lead the team to wins in those games with the help of the staff and his teammates. I think he can do it if we dont turn over the ball.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I still cant say that, VH3 has been fantastic but Alexander has been hurt and they have 2 or 3 more years to play. Burns was no where near as ready as VH3 to play right away but he has a ton of physical tools
  17. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Understand the frustration but Mack was running pretty well.

In the post-game presser, Boom addressed the need or desire to get Kelvin Taylor more touches ... I don't recall the exact quote.
  18. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +839
    ummmm yeah. I know who Mackenzie Alexander is. He's the cb prospect rated lower than VH3 was on every single recruiting website. He also wasn't a consensus 5 star. I've never seen a better cb prosepct than VH3, but I've only been following this stuff since the early 90's. But hey, I was obviously wrong, along with every other talent evaluator. The play on the field obviously leaves it up for further debate as well. :roll:.

Raz doesn't believe for a single minute there is or was a better CB prospect. I mean, watch them play. There's never been a bigger gap between #1 and #2 players at a position since Clowney came out. He said that to back up his opinion that VH3 wasn't the best corner on our team, which althought I think he is, I agree could at least be debateable.
  19. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +839
    24 carries for 86 yards won't get it done for our offense. Mack's a good kid and a decent runner, but no better than that. And its been pointed out by some that Tenn completely sucks and is a horrible team. Although that isn't neccessarily my opinion.
  20. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I'm pretty sure Alexander has been out with an injury so I'm not sure what the basis is for comparing just 3 games into their college careers.

Alexander was a consensus top 30 recruit but I wouldn't trade him for Hargreaves if for no other reasons than Alexander's attitude and Hargreaves made the right college choice. I was happy we got Hargreaves (and think he is a little better than Alexander) but I wish there had been a way to pull both of them. I doubt there would have been a better college tandem in the history of college football.