why was murphy a 2 star?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mroberts220, Sep 22, 2013.

1. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Stars are very subjective and change constantly depending on who is recruiting a player. For the most part the star system is beneficial and fairly accurate. However, we have all seen 5 star busts and guys who were walk-ons become superstars. I don't really put much faith in the star ratings because they don't account for how well a player responds to tough competition. Manziel seems to relish the spotlight and plays lights out in big games. Being rated a 3 star may have also given him the push to prove them wrong. Murphy probably did not play against the toughest competition but he certainly seems to rise to the occasion. Let's all hope he continues to get better and better as the season progresses!
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I do but I dont know how much that really matters. Those guys know we have a good defense
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,282
    Agree
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Lol. I like Raz. He offers some great recruiting insight. Howver, I think the problem many have is that he passes his opinion off as fact. And defends it till the bitter end.

Matt Jones is one of the best backs in the SEC.
    VH3 cannot be the best cover corner on the team.
    Murphy is not an SEC qb and our season is over if we lose Driskel.
    C Burton is the best TE on the roster.

These aren't passed of as opinion, they're passed off as fact. When you pass stuff off as fact, you'd better be right. And anyone who thinks a coaching staff is infalable when it comes to player personel decisions is crazy.

He had me convinced Murph sucks and can't complete a forward pass and that M Jones is an All SEC caliber back. All that based on his opinion. I think I'll still read his posts, but take anything not related to recruiting with agrain of salt, like everyone else.
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    A bunch of BS right here. Nobody has ever said the staff cant be wrong but they do have more information than everybody else.

How can someone pass off an opinion as it is a fact? You know it is an opinion

You say you dont take me seriously then you say I had you convinced Murphy sucks which one is it?

To the VH3 thing I dont think I ever said he cant be the best cover corner on the team. I said we need to see more. We still havent seen him play vs an elite team. We know what Roberson brings to the table in these games we dont know what VH3 does.

I said I thought he should probably be are starting nickle because it is about getting the best group of players on the field at the same time.
  6. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    I think Matt Jones took a few steps backwards from the end of last year, so you can't really fault AZ for that. Roberson, right now, is our best cover corner IMO. Then VH3. I do not think that Purifoy is good at coverage. He can tackle pretty well, but I haven't been impressed with how he's played the ball. I really like Tyler Murphy, and I still feel pretty good about winning our division this year. Clay Burton may unfortunately be our best TE right now, depending on how Taylor and Thompson have developed. I'd like to play Westbrook more.
  7. GatorByte

GatorByte Member

Ratings Received:
    +87
    Those aren't even his greatest hits either. If you remember his posts during the past BCSCG, you can hardly take this guy seriously. I still remember him arguing with other posters that ND was still in the game at halftime when everyone including Kelly knew it was over. Then he passed it off as posting while drunk.
  8. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Not a bunch of BS at all. Its the truth.

And I said I won't put much credence in your "opinions" from now on based on results. Maybe you have an insider with bad info. Who knows. Another one was that Fulwood won't be ready to play this year. I mean, opinion or not, you've been wrong a lot. There's nothing wrong with admitting it.
  9. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Pretty much all Matt Jones did was kill a weak FSU's tired defense in the 4th quarter...and he destroyed cupcake Jax State's D...other than that he was not impressive in any other game last season. To date, in all of the games last season and this season he has played in, he has only played very well in just those 2 games. In all of the other games he has been underwhelming. We really need to give Valdez and Taylor a shot and see what they have. Jones and Brown aren't that good honestly.

I'll admit I did buy into the offseason hype about Matt Jones even if it went against my initial judgement about Jones not being that good. I thought he had turned it on- in hindsight it was just one game against a tired mediocre FSU D.

Other thoughts: I never want to see the wildcat with Burton ever again except for maybe once or twice for the rest of the season.

Also Thompson should get a shot at TE.
  10. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    I wish Burton would fake the counter in the wildcat, then throw to a crossing route going the opposite direction.
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I have no problem being wrong I also am right a lot. To the Fulwood thing I said he didnt look like he was going to be strong enough to be a significant contributor. His frame tells you he needs to add weight but that can be deceiving I could be wrong. Also when I said that we didnt know Debose would tare his ACL and Pittman would get 3 games for weed and Hawkins would hurt his ankle before fall camp.
  12. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +825
    I'm not so sure. Jones was a battering ram last year and still is. Against a stacked box, a running back needs vision to find small creases.
    He looked good against FSU at the end of the game, but those holes were huge and KT looked just as good in the first game of his career in mop up duty.

I couldn't tell you who our best back is.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    Who would put so much effort in proving or disproving a poster's opinions?
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I think he is just upset because I would not give VH3 the Thorpe award before his first SEC game which is fine
  15. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    That is a fallacy, generally known as hindsight bias.
  16. dohcvtecpower

dohcvtecpower Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    I know for sure you did say that about VH3. You said he would be good and should start at nickel, but also said you don't think he would be the best cover corner on the team this year and at this point that's arguable. Got to wait and see how the season plays out.
  17. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +825
    I was simply explaining why Raz needs to have so many posters on ignore. Not much effort in typing a few posts. I guess I'm bitter since I took his opinion as fact. He sounded extremely convincing. My fault for sure - its nothing more than message board chatter.

Why are you replying to all of my posts that have nothing to do with you is a better question. I know ya'll are tight and in agreement on a lot of stuff on here, but jeez. Don't get so upset.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    It really is fascinating how the "thoughtful" like him come out in droves. They make this board insufferable. Rather than saying, I don't know, the staff managed the game well to put Murphy in good situations and make him successful, the really good "thinkers" like 07 assume the incompetence of the coaches--even though you probably couldn't find a staff in the nation who would have started Murphy over Driskel.
  19. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +825
    No. But when you said you weren't sure he was the best corner out of the state of Florida in his class, I certainly did a double take and thought I misread something.
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    What I was most pleased with was Murphy was ready to play which is a credit to not only him but the coaching staff and shows there competence.