why was murphy a 2 star?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mroberts220, Sep 22, 2013.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Murphy was competing well from the get-go.

Now he has 2 years working with Pease's version of the Muschamp offense (run first, run second, run third, pass only in panic situations) and he always threw a good pass and was a good athlete.

Star systems are merely a method to discriminate so that certain people get more noteriety than others. Of course, the probability of collegiate success corresponds pretty well with consensus rankings. For example a consensus 5 star has a decent chance to contribute as a freshman (like VH3) and is likely to be a starter almost anywhere by his third year, for a 4 star he might contribute as a frosh, and also has a decent change of being in the 2 deep within 3 years. For a 3 star, very little chance of contributing as a frosh, and probably less than 50% chance of being 2-deep in 3 years. For a 2 star, almost no change of Frosh contribution and perhaps a 25% change of being 2-deep in the SEC by the third year.

Note - that is consensus. Each rating system has it's own biases and preferences and each messes up a far greater percentage of the time than a consensus.
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    Raz, he was way better than you thought, end of discussion, good lord everybody on the board knows what you said if Jeff got hurt. I know it was one game, but to be tossed into even a small fire like that and perform is impressive.
  3. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

AWESOME!!!! You just made my morning!!!! Do you still plug your ears and go nanny-nanny boo-boo I can't hear you like a 3 year old????!!!!

Seems to me you've been EXPOSED. Your agendas have been easily discovered.

Keep me on ignore because you were never what you said you were. EXPOSED.
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Right it was one game. UT was a game that I thought we would win with anybody. I really liked what I saw but nothing really surprised me. Him playing well against UK or Ark wont either if we keep the playing calling conservative. I like some things Tyler brings to the table and think if we play to those strengths and the strengths of the D we can win football games
  5. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    Raz is very knowledgable, I, and I am sure many, rely on his opinion on talent. There is nothing wrong with not being correct 100% of the time.
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    yeah I dont know what I was exposed as but if I made his day I am glad
  7. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    It happens to all opinionated folks, I am one of them, when we miss, look out!!
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    Unfortunately, it doesn't stay that way. Murphy will have fully developed game plans and defenses designed to stop him and his strengths particularly. I was as impressed as anyone by his performance, but these boards lose all perspective--win or loss. If Murphy plays well for three quarters, then Driskel is terrible and the staff is clueless for not playing. Just let it work itself out. If Murphy ends up being the "answer," then great. Unexpected surprise. But don't pretend that somehow Saban or Spurrier or some other more competent coach could have identified that more quickly, nor that Driskel is as bad as the incessant criticism says.
  9. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    I agree with this, it certainly does not mean Jeff should not have been the starter. I think it's fair to say that last year Tyler may have been a better option when Jeff went down, or at least should have seen some game time.
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    If I am wrong I have no problem saying it. There is a player I am about ready to say I was wrong on but it is not Murphy.
  11. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    Vh3!
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    no I was always a huge fan of his and for the most part expected this
  13. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,697
    Drob
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    lol no I still think he will have a great career, just wait a day and I will tell you after I watch the game again
  15. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    Matt Jones? Sorry, guessing is too fun.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    stay tuned
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Back to Tyler I liked what I saw and no matter how he plays going forward. I think if we dont turn the ball over we can beat anybody with him as long as he keeps his mobility. I am one of the few people that think we were a little too aggressive in the Miami game. We have a great defense we should lean on them.
  18. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    I posted a thread which was some reason deleted about how many Gator players in 2011 wanted Murphy to start over Driskel and Brissett when Brantey was injured, so apparently Murphy impressed his fellow teammates as early as 2011 and in 2011 Murphy was only a RS freshmen.

Murphy's HS coach was quoted saying the reason he did not get a shot at the starting position is because he is a Connecticut kid with no hype competing against 3 Florida kids in Brantley, Brissett, and Driskel. Also in 2011 his HS coach said was better than Driskel, Brantley, and Brissett.

I posted this on another thread:

I was always very impressed with his HS clip. He has impressive throws and many of them are with people in his face and he shows no happy feet- just calm and collected.

The throw in particular at the 5:25 mark was sick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...HOkm5ZJ8#t=324

The ones after it are good as well. 5:37 is another great one. He also makes some other great throws in the pocket under heavy pressure and even makes a side step and throws a rocket.
  19. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Some of the issue with HS recruiting is that kids have to get exposure. Murphy probably didn't play in any big camps to get noticed. HS highlight reel was pretty good.

I'm not sure if Murphy could have done much in practice to prove he could be a starter except flawless play. He wasn't going to start over 5th year senior Brantley, and our coaches would rather try and develop the winner of Driskel/Brissett, which I don't blame them for.
  20. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    Do you think our defense put on a good show for the defensive prospects visiting yesterday?