1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

why was murphy a 2 star?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mroberts220, Sep 22, 2013.

1. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    If rating services had been around when Unitas was playing he would have likely been a one star. And he turned out to be a pretty fair QB.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    he was a 3 star player which is exactly what he deserved. 3 star player means they are an eventual college starter. It took him 4 years to get on the field. Some of you are going a little crazy for 1 game.
  3. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +717
    So many people forget that football is actually a team game. I heard one moron in the sports media yesterday mouthing off on how raw Geno Smith is relative to RGIII. RGIII has a ton of talent at the skill positions around him in DC. The Jets? Please!
  4. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Yes but people want to enjoy this which is fine but I dont know why they need to go at Jeff while doing it. We were going to beat UT anyway they are a bad football team that was never going to move the ball on us. We will beat Kentucky next week as well. We wont know much until LSU.
  5. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I thought you were just a diehard Gator that defending everything Gator. Now? I see you going from thread to thread actually being negative about TM. This is quite the turnaround for you. I'm now an wondering what your new agenda is? You made some weird comments yesterday about Murphy and you seem to continuing on. Make me understand what you are trying to convey.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. swampspring

swampspring Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +542
    Granting stars isn't a science. Some guys have all the measurables and look good in the high school game, but doesn't translate to the college game. We have ton of examples prior to Driskel. This isn't to say Driskel won't ever pan out, but I think some of the kids take the low rating as a chip on their shoulder and go out and prove themselves. You can tell from Murphy's post game comments that he was always preparing as if he was number 1.

More often than not though, those rating services do a bang up job. High star guys typically are better than the lower rated guys.
  7. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I'm pretty sure he was hired by the coaching staff or gator zone to come on here and basically spam the boards defending every single thing the coaches say and do. TM turning out to be the better qb proves that the coaches made a mistake by not playing him earlier and that kind of crime thought cannot be tolerated.
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +906
    Still, Driskel's left knee lead to his right leg getting broken. It took away his mobility and he became a pocket passer, which he isn't.
  9. whitelakegator

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Unfortunately is only natural to compare the two QBs. That is just human nature and I am surprised that a smart poster like you is actually surprised that our fanbase would be comparing the two QBs, good and bad.
  10. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I've noticed a lot of people on this board doing the same thing you're talking about here. Has to make you wonder...take from that what you will.
  11. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    The star rating system is the best we have and will ever have frankly. It's not perfect, but still pretty good. A higher % of 5-star players make it to the NFL than other star levels.
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I think many people also dont realize part of the star system is about project NFL talent. Those guys use the NFL draft to grade themselves
  13. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,468
    I respect you, but Murphy was more comfortable out there. I have no idea if that sticks, or he will get gummed up upstairs too. We will see. There is a lot to be said about just playing, oblivious to what you do not know or understand. I am sure you know many unconsciously unaware folks in your life, it's natures lifeboat...
  14. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,468
    Admit you were wrong on him raz, you would not be alone. You were very pleasantly surprised by his play.
  15. GatorByte

GatorByte Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    He does it to save face after all the garbage he has posted about us being "done" if Driskel goes down. He is married to that view and not giving up on it.
  16. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    The star system is about probabilities, not certainties. If all the one or two star players were really underrated then there would be much more parity in college football. But 5 stars does not guarantee greatness and 2 stars does not guarantee lack of success. It also translates from college to pro. Whoever heard of Kurt Warner in college?
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Admit I was wrong on Murphy about what? I like some of the things I saw. I wasnt shocked by anything that happen. When Jeff got hurt I went "WOW" asked my self what is about to happen? I then thought this is UT we are going to win this football game they are terrible. Pease just needs to call a conservative game and Murphy needs to make a few play with his legs. Nothing really shocked me about the game. The one thing that I did not expect was how decisive Murphy was when he left the pocket. I am not going to crown a player after beating UT. I think we could beat UT with any QB. I think we can beat UK with any QB.
  18. whitelakegator

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Defiant to the end. Well, I hope for our fans sake you defend TM as vehemently as you did JD. I will be disappointed by nothing less from you.
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    you have been on ignore so I havent been even been seeing your post for a good while. But on what plant am I being negative about TM? There is nothing wrong with being a 3 star recruit. You guys get all crazy about that stuff I dont. There is nothing wrong with being a good college player which is what a 3star player is.
  20. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the star system used to project which year a player would be ready to start? For example, 5 star- can start right away at the D1 level. 4- Star, can start as a SO. 3 star- can start as a JR. 2 star- may contribute as a SR. 1 star, will not play at the D1 level. Not sure where I heard that before.

The stars tend to be accurate more often than not. That said, there have been some real diamonds in the rough over the years, and also some real busts.

I really hope for the best for Jeff Driskel. It is never good to see someone get injured.

As a quick assessment, the part of Jeff's game that got me excited this time last year was his willingness to take a hit and deliver a strike. This was an improvement over John Brantley in that area. The part of Murphy's game that gets me excited is his pocket presence and leadership. The offense played with more urgency with him at the helm. He took charge yesterday, and it was evident. He made some good decisions out there. Regardless of who you are playing, there are certain elements of a QBs game that are evident. Murphy seemed very assertive yesterday, which is something I haven't seen from a QB at UF since Tim Tebow was playing.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16